shape
carat
color
clarity

For contact lens users

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone using the ReNU contact lens solution - see a doctor if you have been having any problems.

From the Chicago Tribune ...

"Fusarium is commonly found in plant material and soil in tropical and subtropical regions. Without eye-drop treatment, which can last two to three months, the infection can scar the cornea and blind its victims. Symptoms can include blurry vision, pain or redness, increased sensitivity to light and excessive discharge from the eye. It is not transmitted from person to person."

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting that the company Alcon, which makes Opti-Free, is hoping that users will switch to their product. I started on Alcon Opti-Free and developed such a horrible irritation and allergy to it I had to switch to Renu!!!

I''m curious if the Renu moisture lock is the only product in question...ie. is their normal solution or the Renu No Rub formula also in question?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Fire~ I had the same reaction with Opti Free.. it was horrible. My Op. wwanted me to try it and within a week I was in pain and miserable. I switch back to Renu right after that.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
LOL, guess I''m the wierdo, because I looked like a crack addict when I used Renu. I had to switch to the Opti-Free.
3.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 3:38:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''m curious if the Renu moisture lock is the only product in question...ie. is their normal solution or the Renu No Rub formula also in question?
It''s just the moistureloc, although I think it was Walgreens that took all Renu products off their shelves.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
This is the email my colleagues and I have received from Bausch and Lomb regarding the outbreak. We have pulled our supply of all ReNu products at my office until further notice.

ALSO PLEASE: This should always be the case, but avoid purchasing generic solutions as well. Private label contact lens care solutions will purchase their formula/supply from whatever company they are dealing with at the time. So for instance for 6 months the generic solution may be ReNu, and the next 6 months they may have a contract with Alcon for optifree. This not only puts you at risk for contact lens/solution incompatibility and reactions but also allergic reactions (since you dont know exactly which formula it is) but also with the recent ReNu scare. Do not risk your precious eyes to save a few dollars!

Fungal infections of the eye are devastating and I am saddened to hear of this recent problem.

Bausch & Lomb Temporarily Suspends U.S. Shipments of ReNu® with MoistureLoc® Produced at Greenville, S.C., Manufacturing Facility Pending Investigation of Reports of Fusarium Infections Among Contact Lens Wearers

April 10, 2006 – Bausch & Lomb announced today that it is temporarily suspending U.S. shipments of ReNu® with MoistureLoc® produced at its Greenville, S.C., manufacturing facility in order to facilitate the further investigation of reports of fungal keratitis infections among contact lens wearers in the United States. This action does not affect any other Bausch & Lomb products. Today’s announcement follows the release of a report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that it is reviewing reports of 109 cases of suspected fungal keratitis. The CDC reports that the majority of cases have yet to be reviewed, but of the 30 cases reviewed to date, 28 involved contact lens wearers. Twenty-one reported using ReNu brand contact lens care products and 5 reported using a combination of ReNu and products manufactured by other companies. Bausch & Lomb has been collaborating with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the CDC, major eye centers and health authorities in a comprehensive investigation to determine if the reports represent an increase in the historical incidence of these infections, and to determine the root cause.

“Bausch & Lomb''s first priority is the health and safety of consumers," said Ronald L. Zarrella, chairman and CEO of the company. "The CDC data released today are both troubling and perplexing, as there is an apparent disproportionate representation of U.S. manufactured ReNu with MoistureLoc in the underlying data. The source of these infections has not been determined. Based on our extensive testing, analysis and further internal reviews, and communications with leading experts, the available scientific evidence does not establish any type of ReNu solution as a cause.

“The CDC has not determined if these reports represent an increase of Fusarium keratitis infections and is continuing to investigate the association, if any, of these cases with any product. Nonetheless, in the interest of public health, we will voluntarily suspend U.S. shipments of ReNu with MoistureLoc while we pursue all appropriate steps to bring this investigation to a definitive conclusion,” Zarrella concluded.

Bausch & Lomb encourages contact lens wearers to follow these guidelines from the American Optometric Association:

* Carefully and regularly clean contact lenses, as directed by an optometrist and the patient information included with lens care products.
* Rub the contact lenses with fingers and rinse thoroughly before soaking the lenses overnight in enough multi-purpose solution to completely cover the lens.
* Store lenses in the proper case and replace the lens storage case every three months. Clean the contact lens case after each use and keep the case open and dry between cleanings.
* Use the proper products to clean and disinfect contact lenses as recommended by your optometrist. Remember that saline solutions and rewetting drops are not designed to disinfect lenses.
* Only fresh solution should be used to clean and disinfect contact lenses. Never re-use old solution. Contact lens solution must be changed every day, even if the lenses are not used daily.
* Always replace old contacts when you get a new contact prescription.

Bulletin: April 10, 2006
Distribution: Worldwide

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I use Aquify, and I highly recommend it. Fantastic solution.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the added info, PnP! I too, agree that for some things I use generic brands, but not for my eyes! The Renu stuff is crazy expensive, but my sight is priceless. I didn't know all that stuff about generics and that you could be getting different stuff each time.

I have the Renu NoRub solution (got months and months ago - a tub size from Costco)...so I should be in the clear....but still really scary.
38.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to admit, but the only generic thing I EVER buy is contact solution!
emembarrassed.gif
I use the drugstore brand, no-rub solution. Now I''m all freaked out. I am super-anal about hygiene with my contacts, i.e., washing hands first, cleaning the case every time I use it (and weekly in my dishwasher), never wearing them to sleep, never wearing them longer than two weeks (they are disposable), etc.!

This is making me lean way farther toward getting lasik. Three of my friends have had it done in the past two months, and I am really leary of it, but yeesh... I would rather never have to deal with contacts again, esp. after reading this thread.

Speaking of lasik, and not to hijack, does anyone have any negative stories they can relate? My eye doctor told me I was a good candidate when I got my prescription renewed this fall and I''ve been on the fence ever since.
33.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
uhhhhh crap... I am currently using the MoistureLoc stuff. I haven''t had any issues- should I stop?!

and for the record, I can use both B&L and Alcon haha

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
32.gif
Yikes!!!I use the $1.99 Kmart saline solution.
1.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info! I use Bausch and Lomb Multi-purpose solution for sensitive eyes and I''ve never had any problems.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 9:00:59 PM
Author: monarch64
I hate to admit, but the only generic thing I EVER buy is contact solution!
emembarrassed.gif
I use the drugstore brand, no-rub solution. Now I''m all freaked out. I am super-anal about hygiene with my contacts, i.e., washing hands first, cleaning the case every time I use it (and weekly in my dishwasher), never wearing them to sleep, never wearing them longer than two weeks (they are disposable), etc.!

This is making me lean way farther toward getting lasik. Three of my friends have had it done in the past two months, and I am really leary of it, but yeesh... I would rather never have to deal with contacts again, esp. after reading this thread.

Speaking of lasik, and not to hijack, does anyone have any negative stories they can relate? My eye doctor told me I was a good candidate when I got my prescription renewed this fall and I''ve been on the fence ever since.
33.gif
I''ll answer your hijack. I have seen a lot more problems with Lasik procedures that I had hoped. I have one patient that can''t even drive at night anymore b/c the headlights of cars bother him so much. He is on NSAID eye drops to bring down the inflammation. And he went to a well respected Lasik dr -- not one of those places that does it at the mall.

My cousin''s husband also has had terrible dry eye after the procedure. He was taking OTC eye lubricating drops and just switched to rx kind b/c it is so severe.

The most complaints I have heard from pts is that they have more headaches than before. Not sure why. Maybe it takes longer for your eyes to adjust that previously thought.

If you are serious about getting it, I would have a consultation with a good Lasik dr -- someone that does a lot of procedures. I know of someone in downtown Chicago and in Oak Brook if you are interested. I have had a couple of friends be told by their optomistrist that they are good candidates, only to go for the counsultation with the Lasik dr and be told they are not.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
After reading all of this, I sure am glad I throw out my contacts every night and don''t use lens solution anymore. When I first started using Acuvue One Days I thought it was wasteful to throw away contacts every night, not to mention all the waste from the packaging. But now I really like them and would never go back to cleaning contacts every night!

The contacts I wear are a bit pricy, but you can use other brands that are cheaper. They just weren''t compatible with my eyes, so I have to wear the most expensive daily disposable contacts.

Like Monarch, I am also scared of Lasik. My sister had it done and has never had problems, but it just scares me. I know for all the money I''ve spent on contacts over the 19 years that I''ve worn them I could have paid for Lasik many times over, but I just can''t bring myself to do it.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I had lasik in Jan 05. The surgery itself was painless, quick and easy. However, after the surgery you need to do a bunch of different eye drops...steroids, anitbiotics, rewetting drops etc. to help your eyes heal. Turned out I was allergic to the drops. All of them burned and make me look like a crack addict. But worse of all my vision varied througout the days. Sometime I could see great (so I know the surgery itself was successful). Other days, I could sit at my desk and not read the computer screen no matter how large I made the type or how close I sat. The allergic reaction in my cornea caused microcysts that were bascially like tiny bumpy bubbles. So, when I looked at things, stuff was constantly out of focus. I lived with double vision for MONTHS. The surgery made my eyes drier which is normal for the surgery...would have been find except I am apparently allergic to every brand of artificial tears out there. I tried all the preservative free ones...nothing works. I decided about 5 months after the surgery to go off everything cold turkey....no drops. So, last summer I just let my eyes rest and it helped a lot. Thank god for humid summers because on humid days I could actually see. On my honeymoon to the tropics it was just great! Then last fall when the weather got drier I had to do something. I started prescription Restasis which I put in 2 times per day. The Restasis helps and so far no allergic reaction. My vision is still occassionally fuzzy if it is really dry but for the most part it is good. Probably not as good as when I had contacts for 18 years, but still good. I have stopped comparing what I could see before with contacts to what I can see post-lasik. I''m just grateful that when I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom I don''t step on the cat anymore :)

Seriously, if anyone is interested in doing lasik, I highly recommend you try using some preservative free artificial tears for a couple of months ahead of time to make sure you are not allergic. It is rare that someone is allergic, but sure was a pain for me.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 9:14:54 PM
Author: moon river
32.gif
Yikes!!!I use the $1.99 Kmart saline solution.
1.gif
I sure hope you use more than just saline solution to clean your contacts
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i use the renu no rub and love it...

i''m such a dork, i haven''t been able to get over to the contact lens place to get my new lenses and so i am wearing 2 week ones from like 3 months ago. yes i have worn them on and off for 3 months and they are only supposed to be a 2 week pair. yikes!!

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
See- it''s stories like this that made me glad I got the dailies! So glad I don''t have to deal with solution at all- ever!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 12:03:27 PM
Author: Mara
i use the renu no rub and love it...

i''m such a dork, i haven''t been able to get over to the contact lens place to get my new lenses and so i am wearing 2 week ones from like 3 months ago. yes i have worn them on and off for 3 months and they are only supposed to be a 2 week pair. yikes!!
Bad girl! Not to scare you, but I did the same thing, and my eye dr yelled at me because the contacts had gotten pretty dirty (they just do, deposits collect cuz they''re 2 weekers and don''t get enzymed) and my eyes were vascularizing to get air. If that happens extensively, you can go blind. Now, it''s not going to happen from wearing 2 week lenses for 3 months...but it starts the process. Get your butt over there girl!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i know, i keep thinking, boy these are 2 weekers and it''s been 3 months, surely this can''t be good. my eyes also don''t feel super great when they are in...i know i know, not rocket science, gotta drive over, maybe i will do it today!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 12:15:53 PM
Author: SarFarSuperstar
See- it''s stories like this that made me glad I got the dailies! So glad I don''t have to deal with solution at all- ever!
I wish I could go with dailies... But I have astigmatism on top of myopia and my contacts cost 60-80$ CAN each, so I can''t exactly throw them out!
28.gif
I might go with lasik one day...

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 1:10:40 PM
Author: anchor31

Date: 4/13/2006 12:15:53 PM
Author: SarFarSuperstar
I wish I could go with dailies... But I have astigmatism on top of myopia and my contacts cost 60-80$ CAN each, so I can''t exactly throw them out!
28.gif
I might go with lasik one day...
Anchor--Focus Dailies come in Toric for astigmatism, but at this time the parameters are really limited. You can ask your doc if your prescription comes in that range if interested. :)

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I loved the idea behind the daily disposable contact lens...but unfortunately none of the brands were that comfortable in my eyes.
39.gif
The Acuvue daily ones were by far the best comfort wise, but they still were not as comfortable as my Acuvue two week ones. Plus I found myself trying to decide whether the day was contact-lens-worthy LOL (like "sponge-worthy" from Seinfeld hehehe).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I can''t believe you don''t order your contacts online!!!
6.gif
You are such a proponent of online shopping (and believe me after finding PS and YOU, so am I, lol!) I would have thought you''d be all about it!
9.gif

I ordered my contacts online this year after I finally got vision insurance at my new job, and I saved about $100 by not going through my eye doctor. I just faxed the online place my prescription and my contacts arrived a few days later, along with a cutey little pink contact case I got for $1.50 or something. Every so often they email me with discount offers, etc. so I will definitely keep using them. I believe it was 1800contacts.com that I purchased from, can''t quite remember, but I know there are lots of other ones.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i have thought about it monarch but my eyes are totally unpredictable...like supposedly my dr says i have this thing wrong with my eyes where i can''t wear my full prescription, so he lets me kind of experiment with what feels good for my eyes...aka if i got a pair of the full prescript and they hurt, then he would let me go down .25 if it felt better (and i could still see of course)...so they are really flexible with what makes my eyes feel good and works. i don''t think the online place would do that, they''d fill the actual prescript only right?!!

my full prescript is 3.75 in each eye but right now i am wearing 3.25 and it feels good but i also wore 3.5 for a while and it felt good too, but 3.75 is too much most of the time.

but yeah i have thought about it!! seems like it''d be so much easier
!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s the same thing I''ve been going through the past couple of years, Mara. I am right in between 1.5 and 1.75 in one eye (2.00 on the other now, up .25 from two years ago). My eye doctor gave me a sample of each strength to try and I decided from there which worked better. Your doctor should be able to do the same for you, but might not volunteer the info if you don''t ask...

When I did some shopping around online and found the website I ended up purchasing from, I was worried about how to get my prescription from the doc, but the site actually gave specific directions on how to go about it. I just had to call my dr.''s office, have them fax me a copy of my prescription, and fax that copy to the online store. Although my insurance covered some of the cost of the contacts, I still saved a lot of money by buying them online vs. through the dr.''s office. With my insurance, I was able to get reimbursement by submitting my receipt from the online retailer and actually did the whole insurance process online and via fax as well. It was so easy, and I saved moolah!!!

I have to say that since I''ve found PS I''ve become so much more online-shopping-savvy. I have a retail background so I was honestly half skeptical of buying anything online before I found this site.
9.gif
Thanks enablers, lol!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch my doctor does let me choose what feels best, but it''s not consistent with my eyes. so my prescrip is for one thing but then a few months later i might start getting headaches or something, so i will switch to something less strong and it works for a few more months, then it might change back. so i just figured it was easier to stick with someone who is so flexible. but i''ll check out the online thing for sure!

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
I use the Focus dailies- toric. I, too, have an astigmatism and I''m nearsighted. Awesome. I have two diffferent prescriptions; my left eye is corrected entirely by the contact and my right eye is corrected about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way. So together, they make a whole clear picture for me. I ordered mine through visiondirect.com and they were about $22 per box, and they offer a discount if you buy more. I just bought a 6 month supply for about $272, I think. Kind of pricey, but I don''t wear mine everyday (I have two pairs of glasses- I like options!) so it works out in the end.

They''re pretty good, comfort wise. On the weekends, they don''t bother me at all. If only I could get a job where I didn''t have to stare at the computer all day, my eyes could stay a little moister and thus the contacts would be more comfortable. Alas, such is the dilemma of being a secretary (and spending too much time on PS).

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--your need to change back and forth on contacts is the same as mine was. I was always bouncing between -4.50 to -5 for years and then it was -4.75 to -5.25 for awhile too. The stronger ones made it so I could see details outside really well (like each individual leaf on a tree) but they just would drive me nuts at work after awhile. This constant fluctuation is what finally prompted me to do the lasik surgery.

I did use the online services. I just asked for 2 prescriptions...1 stronger and 1 weaker and filled them both for 3 months at a time. That way I could switch back and forth as needed. I used the Acuvue 2 disposables.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results