shape
carat
color
clarity

For all you Mahenge spinel lovers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Got an e-mail from New Era Gems

Haven''t ever bought from them so don''t know what the quality is like. They don''t do it for me I''m afraid, but I thought there would be some of you that would like to take a look.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/5/2009 12:46:28 PM
Author:Gailey
Got an e-mail from New Era Gems

Haven't ever bought from them so don't know what the quality is like. They don't do it for me I'm afraid, but I thought there would be some of you that would like to take a look.
Thanks for the link Gailey.

I've heard really mixed reviews about New Era Gems. I heard scathing comments from someone we all know and love, but I can't mention his name because I don't know if he would want his opinion known publicly. Let's just say he's a gem cutter.
2.gif
He also claims their rough isn't up to par, and the colors are highly photoshopped.

I've also heard decent things about them from someone else who cuts gems, but I'm not as familiar with this lapidary's work.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gailey,

Maybe this piece would have done it for you
2.gif
:
http://www.neweragems.com/details_1.asp?productid=21232

I bought 2 parcels of rough and 1 crystal from them. The package is not here yet, but the sales rep couldn''t have been nicer. These items are for me to study and play with. Where faceting rough is concerned, I''d rather leave it to the pros. In fact, unless I want a specific cut, I buy my gems cut so I know exactly what I''m getting.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 8:12:18 PM
Author: Harriet
Gailey,

Maybe this piece would have done it for you
2.gif
:
http://www.neweragems.com/details_1.asp?productid=21232

I bought 2 parcels of rough and 1 crystal from them. The package is not here yet, but the sales rep couldn''t have been nicer. These items are for me to study and play with. Where faceting rough is concerned, I''d rather leave it to the pros. In fact, unless I want a specific cut, I buy my gems cut so I know exactly what I''m getting.
Harriet - I just have to post that photo here so it is easier to admire. What a color!!!!
36.gif

spinel_5.36ctsa.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Fly Girl.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful color.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what you are all getting so excited about. I like my reds - British Telecom red. H, your spinel falls in this category:

BT Red.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lets look at the math on this stone.

Say you buy the stone, the price $1250, you pay maybe $10 to have it shipped. You get the stone, and then select one of the cutters who will work on other peoples rough (not me). I looked at 2 sites, one has a price of $300, and the other $225. So you ship it to one of these guys, another $10, they cut the stone, and you get lucky and get 30% yield. Spinel can be tricky sometimes and you get less, but lets say everything works out well.

So now you have a 1.6 ct stone, and another shipping fee, this time registered mail since it''s an expensive stone, so $15. Your total cost is now $1250 + 10 + 10 +225 +15 = $1510 for a 1.6 ct stone. Thats $934 per ct

THere is no sending it back if you don''t like, and no guarantee about the weight either. The price really isn''t any bargain either, when you consider that some one on Pricescope recently bought a 1.64 Mahenge spinel for half that price.

You may be able to find a hobby cutter to cut it for less, buy you are still going to be in for over $1350 for the stone, and who knows if the size will even be 1.6, it may end up 1.2 or less. This would be a normal retail price for the stone, so I guess you got exactly what you paid for.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And Gene, this is why we''re all waiting with bated breath for your mahenge spinels! Sigh....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted the link to the spinel in question because of its colour. As I stated, and have stated, I defer to the professional cutters where it comes to buying facetting rough.

I should be receiving my package soon and will give a firsthand report of my experience with Newera.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
and don''t forget ALL Mahenges are created equal and color graded as a ten out of ten on some web sites.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, G. A thousand apologies for not replying earlier.

PS. Got the TV reference?

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gene nailed it. I won''t cut other people''s material either - it''s too difficult to explain why the gorgeous huge stone they though they bought wasn''t suitable for cutting. Besides, I''ve got gorgeous rough in my safe that I KNOW will cut up well.

When you ship rough off to a faceter, it''s really all on you. Is it actually what you thought it was? Is it shaped well for good return? Are there minute internal stresses that have to be worked around or that could cause breakage? Will the finished stone be worth the cost of rough and cutting?

It''s not the responsibility of a gem cutter to do your gemmology or appraising. They will tell you what they find before they cut, but if the lovely 5.35ct rough chunk will at best cut a .85ct stone by then it''s likely past your chance to return the rough for a refund.

I''m back to Africa in a few months, and I take a mini-lab with me. Buying rough well is the result of buying enough rough badly to have learned your lessons!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I too do not make a habit of cutting other people''s rough; but for friends and family you do get suckered in sometimes
41.gif
but in buying facet rough which I have 20 years experience in; you do have to do the math on the piece; as Gene suggested also you have to do a little homework on what to buy to get a decent return; the old rule of thumb is have 75% depth to width ratio to get a decent brilliant cut from it; also the clarity of the gem, shards hanging off the edges which are rather worthless in the cutting design.

So it is feasible to buy a nice piece of rough and pay 250 to get it cut; IF you know your rough and buy it cheap enough. I know many gem mineral facet rough pieces for sale have higher than normal price than even the finished cut stone would bring. So you really have to do the math and see if it is worth the money; just like buying a cut stone; is it worth the money??? But at least when it is cut and you see it; well there is nothing left to do but mount it.

Buying rough is a totally different creature as you have to know orientation of the rough for best color; size vs return or loss of gem mineral when cutting, internal flaws, stress, color zoning, crystal twinning, and also the nature of the gem mineral; does it cleave, how many cleavage zones/planes does it have, it really is a science and not for the faint of heart; as I know many cutters know all this all too well.

Buying rough to me is harder than buying cut gems as there are many unknowns that even us cutters will only find out about when in pre-polish and did not see the little reflecting flaw that will stick out like a sore thumb in the finished product; so my advise is to take the advise of the cutters that posted before me and do not gamble on a piece of rough unless it was a gift; as the math will most of the time not work out in your favor.
This is just one cutters opinion and not to say anyone can not do the years of study to learn how to buy facet rough; but it is a little more than saying that is pretty I think I will get it cut and think the 5 carat rough will create a 3 carat gem...
In a nutshell; buying and cutting rough is not an easy or very profitable trade and i many times wonder why on earth I got into it; as if I had invested in real estate as much as i have in test equipment, rough, cutting machines, etc. I would be one wealthy man
31.gif

But too late to cry over spilt milk now
28.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 4:44:26 AM
Author: colormyworld
and don''t forget ALL Mahenges are created equal and color graded as a ten out of ten on some web sites.

ALL Mahenges are created equal ??
really?
can someone explain that to me?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 12:11:06 AM
Author: haagen_dazs

really?
Silly, silly haagen_dazs. Of course not.

But, since you resurrected this thread, here is some more Mahenge eye candy from Pala. Link

Palaspinel_tanz_suite_gn.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 12:11:06 AM
Author: haagen_dazs

really?
No, CMW was only being sarcastic in reference to a few particular websites.
9.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Any vendors who normally carry alot of Mahenges Spinels?
In my general browsing, I dont see alot of Mahenges

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
You want to check Swalagemtraders!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are Swala''s prices? I swear I had an account with them but can''t log in to check. I''m now just waiting for them to let me know my log in info.

Are their prices good/reasonable for the quality of the stones and the cutting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. I second (or third) the suggestion for Swala. Their prices are competitive and his selection is one of the largest online.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 11:53:34 AM
Author: Chrono
Absolutely. I second (or third) the suggestion for Swala. Their prices are competitive and his selection is one of the largest online.

Hi Chrono.
I am sure you have your reasons for saying their prices are competitive.
I am no walking price dictionary so I cannot really comment on all the varieties of gemstones.
I only look at what I like.
However just looking at the Mahenge, Tanzania spinels, they are quite alot more expensive.
The other non Mahenge spinels are quite cheap though...i think... but the colours are kind of whack

Anyways I was wondering, based on your research preferences, which stones lead you to believe their prices are competitive? I believe your judgment is right but I just wanted to zone in on those gemstones that are reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark I''m sure that Chrono will be along to explain but I hope you don''t mind, I thought I''d tell you what I''ve found with Swala?

Their photos never seem to do the gemstones justice. If you look at the Vendor''s photo that Chrono posted of her magnificent pear and then the additional photos she asked for, it would have been easy to overlook that sensational stone. The Vendor''s photo looked flat but the real life photos brought the stone to life, and then some!

Their Tsavs are the same. I think it was Chrono (apologies if not) who bought an electric looking Tsav that literally had me drooling.

Swala have access to some of the best material and sell on to others. Their prices may be slightly higher than elsewhere (and I do think they are) BUT the cutting, the material, the customer service, is second to none. You pay for what you get and with Swala that''s generally high quality.

Hope that helps.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would agree that Swala''s photos do not do their stones justice. I bought a tsav from there and the sparkle really blows me a way. The color is darker and richer than the photograph showed. The price was fair in my opinion.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2009 6:02:05 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Mark I''m sure that Chrono will be along to explain but I hope you don''t mind, I thought I''d tell you what I''ve found with Swala?

Their photos never seem to do the gemstones justice. If you look at the Vendor''s photo that Chrono posted of her magnificent pear and then the additional photos she asked for, it would have been easy to overlook that sensational stone. The Vendor''s photo looked flat but the real life photos brought the stone to life, and then some!

Their Tsavs are the same. I think it was Chrono (apologies if not) who bought an electric looking Tsav that literally had me drooling.

Swala have access to some of the best material and sell on to others. Their prices may be slightly higher than elsewhere (and I do think they are) BUT the cutting, the material, the customer service, is second to none. You pay for what you get and with Swala that''s generally high quality.

Hope that helps.

thanks LD
thank you for your opinions.
you sure can chip in on your thoughts. i think this is what is so special about the forum business model.

yes it seems like they are next to the tsavs mine and probably have access to the best quality gemstones.
i am not even looking for a green gemstone but the tsavs they have in inventory make my eye POP

with that said about the best material, it seems true for the tsavs and Mahenges spinels.
however they also sell alot of other lower grade brownish spinels too.
i cannot comment on their other gemstones but i didnt see any sapphires or rubies that spoke to me

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2009 12:13:56 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I would agree that Swala''s photos do not do their stones justice. I bought a tsav from there and the sparkle really blows me a way. The color is darker and richer than the photograph showed. The price was fair in my opinion.

i might just be tempted into the tsav world..
omg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results