shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When a GIA report has Fluorescence of none, does this mean that this diamond has no Fluorescence or that it''s not been examined? Most GIA reports also has culet of none for all their reports even though most have a 0.x% of culet.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that all GIA report stones have been tested for Flouresence. I believe that none/negligible means jsut that- that there is so little fouresence that is really cannot be graded as even slight.

Perhaps I am mistaken- and if i am I am sure that one of the real experts will chime in!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
When GIA says None, it means the stone is NOT fluorescent.
In this case, I prefer the terminology of AGS- they call such stones "inert"

GIA publishes the Fluorescence on all Diamond Reports except for Color Origin Grading reports available for Fancy Color Diamonds.
Here''s a photo showing an inert Asscher next to one exhibiting Strong Blue. I took this in a dark environment wiht a small UV lamp held about 3 inches form the diamonds

fl.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone is EGL USA and the cert says ''none'' under fluorescence, which makes me assume they tested that. And sure enough, when I got my manicure and stuck my hands under the UV light...no fluorescence to be seen.
emteeth.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
That side-by-side is so cool! My generic asscher has medium blue (well, when by boyfriend finally decides to upgrade me to finace it will be mine!) and I can''t wait to see it under a UV light. I am tempted to buy a cheap blacklight light bulb just so I can play at home! I hope that medium blue has a nice glow to it......

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/4/2005 7:52:34 PM
Author: jenwill
That side-by-side is so cool! My generic asscher has medium blue (well, when by boyfriend finally decides to upgrade me to finace it will be mine!) and I can't wait to see it under a UV light. I am tempted to buy a cheap blacklight light bulb just so I can play at home! I hope that medium blue has a nice glow to it......

I hope that a medium blue has a good glow to it too. I find it amazing that flourecence can actually decrease the value of a diamond. To me it is a perk as long as it isn't so strong that it causes cloudyness from the sun's uv.

Hmmm another reason to disklike the loss of the ozone more uv to get through and cause flourecence at inoportune times.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
It''s common to see GIA reports with a descriptive "None" for fluor, when in fact it may be visible when checked. I think they are pretty lax about it, perhaps since fluor is gounds for discounting, especially among the higher colors.

The GIA fluor indication is NOT a grading issue, but is only a descriptor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results