shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

burger59

Rough_Rock
When Do you want to have fluorescence in your diamond????

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
When it results in a discounted price, but does not affect the appearance under any lighting condition that does not appeal to you, and/or when it influences the apparent color to look more white...again if that appeals to you.

I am speaking of blue fluorescence only...other colors are a different issue and a green, yellow, or other color may be a big negative to you. On the other hand, some strange types of fluorescence like red, orange and uneven types may look molto cool to your eye...just depends on your personal tastes...
18.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2005 8:28
6.gif
0 PM
Author:burger59
When Do you want to have fluorescence in your diamond????

I personally shop for blue fluorescence combined with the J/K/L color range in round brilliant cuts.

I feel they represent an excellent value for consumers as they can be 40-50 % less than a G color.

When you combine a J/K/L with a nice make and medium blue fl., it makes for some incredible looking diamonds.

When set in a ring, many people would think that they are looking at a stone 2 or 3 grades whiter.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What would a stone with WHITE flourescence look like?! I saw that for the first time on a cert recently.
33.gif

Lynn

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lynn
The term "white fluorescence" sounds weird to me. What lab graded the stone?

Fluorescence is just the ability of a molecule to absorb one wavelength and emit it at a longer wavelength (UV absorbed and visible blue light emitted is only one example of the phenomenon, it can actually occur even at the opposite end of the spectrum ie infrared). Each wavelength in the visible range is associated with just ONE colour - white light is a combination of many wavelengths.

The only way I can think "white" fluorescence could occur would perhaps be if a substance fluoresced with many assorted wavelengths simultaneously. I did not think diamonds did this. Perhaps the experts can comment.
34.gif

burger59

Rough_Rock
How about a blue fluorescence when you When you combine a J/K/L with a princess cut diamond???

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:52:40 AM
Author: asblackrock
Hi Lynn
The term ''white fluorescence'' sounds weird to me. What lab graded the stone?

Fluorescence is just the ability of a molecule to absorb one wavelength and emit it at a longer wavelength (UV absorbed and visible blue light emitted is only one example of the phenomenon, it can actually occur even at the opposite end of the spectrum ie infrared). Each wavelength in the visible range is associated with just ONE colour - white light is a combination of many wavelengths.

The only way I can think ''white'' fluorescence could occur would perhaps be if a substance fluoresced with many assorted wavelengths simultaneously. I did not think diamonds did this. Perhaps the experts can comment.
34.gif
It''s an AGS-certed stone offered for sale by DI:

Stone Details:
Shape RB
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS2
Weight 1.558
Measurments 7.50 - 7.54 x 4.59 mm
Depth 61%
Table 54%
Girdle 1.2-1.7
Culet PT
Crown Angle 33.800
Pavilion Angle 40.800
Fluorescence: MW (medium white)

Man, I''d LOVE to see that baby in person!!!
30.gif

Lynn

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2005 5:26:17 AM
Author: burger59
How about a blue fluorescence when you When you combine a J/K/L with a princess cut diamond???

Hi Burger,

Unfortunately, the desired effect of making the diamond appear whiter (face up), while present in princess cuts is not as noticable.

It is typically easier to notice color in a princess cut.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2005 7
6.gif
5:51 AM
Author: Lynn B

It''s an AGS-certed stone offered for sale by DI:

Stone Details:
Shape RB
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS2
Weight 1.558
Measurments 7.50 - 7.54 x 4.59 mm
Depth 61%
Table 54%
Girdle 1.2-1.7
Culet PT
Crown Angle 33.800
Pavilion Angle 40.800
Fluorescence: MW (medium white)

Man, I''d LOVE to see that baby in person!!!
30.gif

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Any chance you can show us a scan of this report?

Neil

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 11:53:44 PM
Author: Lynn B
What would a stone with WHITE flourescence look like?! I saw that for the first time on a cert recently.
33.gif

Lynn

Hi Lynn
I think white flouro is pretty rare, I have seen it twice in the past twenty years. In both cases the diamond had a cloud with the fluoro appearing to be concentrated in the cloud area. In both cases the transparency of the stones where not negatively effected. Obviously no conclusion can be reached by two examples.

Do you know if this stone has a cloud, its not mentioned on the cert or indicated on the plot.

Johan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results