shape
carat
color
clarity

Flowers for proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jdoe287

Rough_Rock
Everyone here, thanks for being so helpful in figuring out a ring. I have one more problem--the proposal! I''m planning on doing the proposal at a hotel on the beach in the Florida Keys. I''d like to have flowers sent ahead and have the concierge place them in the room for me so that when we get there the flowers will be set up (along with a couple other things I''d like to give her).

What kind of flowers are appropriate? I feel like plain red roses are a bit tired, but I don''t want to be too out there either. Are orchids romantic? Or for this special occasion do I need to stay with the tried and true?

FWIW I''m giving her an Asscher stone in a Cartier 1922 replica setting, if that helps you understand my style.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Do you know what kind of flowers SHE loves? If you're not a regular 'flower giving kinda guy' and aren't sure, ask her mom or one of her friends. Or, if you're worried they'll 'tell', maybe stop in front of a florist shop and say 'I like those, do you?' and see if you can get her talking that way. She'll be so touched if you get her exactly what she likes, something really personal.

Orchids are most beautiful when they are still potted as a plant, and they're also delicate and difficult to transport.

All of that said, no woman is UPSET by long stem roses. What might make it special is if you go for top quality. There's such a difference between run-of-the-mill roses and long stem beauties.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Typically I would agree re: red roses, but if there is one occasion where they are appropriate, it is on a proposal weekend...

My GF favors tulips, and that is what I would typically get, but I just ordered 18 red roses for a similar vacation as you are taking... if you don''t get her roses often, i think it is a good choice. I would not go with orchids unless you know she really likes them, as they are very expensive and not everyone "gets" them.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I really like Lilies & Irises, but it is really up to each individual girl. I''d say if you were to get roses, but knew her favorite color maybe you could get her in orange/copper, pink, or deeper more purple?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless you know that she hates red roses (or thinks they''re really cliche or something) this is the ONE time that they are more than appropriate.

But yes, if you know she has a favorite flower/color, etc. it would be really thoughtful of you to get those instead.

Hope that helps!

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
If you really wanted to spread orchids around you could do dendrobium orchids but I think that rose petals are silkier. I would be VERY careful about using red rose pets though that the colour does not get rubbed into the sheets or carpet. Just a word of caution.

Best of luck,
Rebecca

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I think the main opinion here is that most feel the rose is in fact appropriate for your event. Should you decide to use another flower I am sure she would be just as thrilled, as it is apparent you put alot of thought behind everything...so keep working on all options.

My favorite flowers change...often...I love really modern tropicals and then I will waiver back to a dainty traditional bouquet. It is sort of like having a mouthful of candy and seeing someone else enjoying a different type...you can hardly swollow fast enough to make room for the other one. Flowers are so wonderful. And especially so when they come from my husband.

I would like to give you another angle of thought on the rose plan...did you know that each color of rose signifies a certain feeling or emotion? Most women are aware of this...men just see a rose. But we are a tad diabolical on EVERY THING. One exception: I have a super brother in law who suprises my sister in law often. When he buys her roses...he always chooses two colors...the Red for love and the yellow because she is his best friend. Sometimes he only buys the petals...

I have included a link that has a photo and description of rose colors and meanings. When you see the bouquet, notice it is roses...but the colors are modern, fresh, youthful and exciting when grouped together (ignore the ugly bowl vase...dont'' do that...). If you are not wanting to do all red...consider a variety of colors. You will be able to tell her why you chose to have the color orange which symbolizes passion and excitement and are an expression of fervent romance. You can add white because it is a symbol of marriages and new beginnings. Yellow because you are truly best friends. The red for the intense love you feel for her...OH man...this is good-there is pink and purple etc.

The thought that would go into this bouquet and time to explain to her, would make her putty...putty my dear man! There are some wonderful things they do now with flower bouquets. Not just in vases...but you could actually have the florist make her a bouquet! (This is what a bride carries down the isle with her...it is a bunch of flowers gathered together) and it would be fun to have as it is "Hands On" instead of in a vase across the room-on her egagement night. They can wrap the stems in beautiful ribbons and add glass sparkly things...bright fresh and youthful.

BOARD: there is a bride would avatar is as I have described...she also posted her wedding bouquet...can anyone find it for this excerise?
Just thought I would give you another option. What ever you do...she will be thrilled!
36.gif

DKS

http://www.proflowers.com/flowerguide/rosemeanings

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
I work in a flowershop and I get asked ALL THE TIME about the meaning of rose colours. I really like the idea of using colour to conven your message.

To add to the website red and white together means unity which would be completely appropriate?

:) Rebecca

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results