shape
carat
color
clarity

Flouresence experts, question. (I already searched)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen,

This is intriguing!

My diamond clarity is S1, colour I and is graded for flour as 'very strong blue'

However, it doesn't look blue at all. In normal daylight, or artificial lighting it is absolutely sparkling white.

The only time I can see the flour is in extremely low lighting conditions or in the dark. It then gives off a very, very faint liliac hue (which is quite subtle) Your grading report says flour 'negligible' so I can't see this being flour.

The bottom line is that you are not happy with the diamond, hence, it has to go back. But out of interest, we would all like to know how this ends.

33.gif
Blod

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean Blods, mine has faint fluoresence and it has a " lavender/ lilac" hue if the sun is at a certain angle. The only time I can see any true blue is if it is dusk and I am looking at my diamond under an outside light. It just adds to the fun for me of my diamond being a gemstone and having it''s own personalities, but I think the best decision if you aren''t happy is to return it and as Blod says, please let us know how you get on
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Im not on any meds, well, an antibiotic.
25.gif
And the store is a member of the AGS. Wonder if they did that. Maybe they''ll say when I bring that issue up. But since the stone has other issues, now it''s kind of moot.

I never thought of Spencers! I was going to the mall anyway, so I will definitely go in there.

As for pics, I have misplaced the manual to my digital, not sure if I can get a super duper one, but I can try and get a semi decent one.

And thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.
1.gif

Will let you know what happens at the mall.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I went to the mall.

Did not glow in Spencers, so no flo.

Then I went in a jewelry shop there. This has to be one of the tackiest things I've ever done in my life, but I briefly explained the situation and asked if I could use their loupe. Looked to see if the ring looked any different, just dark. And, compared to hers, dark again. Hers looked normal. She could see the difference.

The gal working could not have been nicer, or less knowledgable. I'll probably go to hell for laughing at some of the things she said. (Lord forgive me)

But these two were the best.

1. Did you know they (not sure who "they" are) actually put fluoresence in diamonds to hide clarity?

and

2. I should be really careful who I buy from.
1.gif
Unfortunately, that held more truth than humor.

I have not told the whole story, I was waiting to see a few things before I did. But here's the rest.

Remember I said I had seen a fluorecent stone? Well, I "thought" I had, at this very same store I got my ring from, by the gal who was helping us.Then some on here said they had them, and they didn't do what mine was doing.... But guess what? The stone she told me was fluorecent looked JUST like my diamond does now. Now, what are the mathematical chances of seeing two such odd stones in a lifetime, much less 2 weeks time? Does anybody see where I'm going with this??

This was an upper class store, in the upper class part of town. Member of the AGS, BBB, blah, blah blah.

Tell me what you guys are thinking....

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 1:58:21 PM
Author: Ellen

Did not glow in Spencers, so no flo.
Okay, so that''s settled. The AGS report said "negligible", and you detected no fluorescence under a black light.

Does anybody see where I''m going with this??
No.

Tell me what you guys are thinking....
I''m thinking you have a diamond with no or negligible fluorescence. So whatever you''re seeing is due to (A) the cut, (B) external influences, or (C) your imagination.

If you''ll post the dimensions listed on the AGS report, we can give you an idea if there''s anything about the cut that would make the stone look "dark".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be glad to post the specs. And to save you the trouble, it rated 1.7 ex,ex,ex,vg on the HCA

But it still won''t explain why the stone has changed. And it''s not my imagination, unless it''s my sons and husbands too.

T 54
D 62.2
CD 15.9
PD 43
CA 35
PA 40.8
Girdle 1.1 to 2.2 Faceted
Culet Pointed

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the key clue is one dead looking facet.
Was it like that before this started?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
strm, yes, it was. Did not begin to notice it til after I got it home and stared at it a couple days.

Forgot to add.

1.285 I SI1 6.96-6.98x4.33

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm
my take on it is that there was a bunch of polishing compound on the diamond and there was a chemical reaction with the diamond cleaner.
That would also explain the "dead" facet
could be wrong :}

An acid bath for the diamond would answer it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An acid bath, whatever is that?
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my asscher ring put in an acid bath as one of the melee stones turned yellow. It woked like a charm. Got my ring back today and that stone is bright as ever.
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 7:27:53 PM
Author: Mara
11.gif
A friend of mine who lives way in the country (on 150 acres near PA/WVA line) and has high level minerals in her water, actually noticed her E colored radiant diamond turning yellow over time. She had to have it acid washed to clean off all the buildup. No more wearing her ring 24/7. If I had not seen the before and after with my own eye, I would have never believed it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
11.gif

2 hits of blue blotter crawl in the bathtub and fight drain snakes with the back brush.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 9:44:02 PM
Author: strmrdr

11.gif

2 hits of blue blotter crawl in the bathtub and fight drain snakes with the back brush.
LOLOL!

Strm....I think that will go about 30,000 feet for many, but I am ROFL here....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
strm, the thing is, the ring was cleaned with jewelry cleaner many, many times and was fine. It wasn''t until I soaked it in hot water and then cleaned it that it changed. Which is why I think there was something on it to mask how this stone really looked. I don''t believe this diamond could just change color. And no one has come up with anything that could explain it. While your theory might have been plausible, it doesn''t work in this case, as described earlier.

I realize I''m posting, knowing all the comments that were made by the store, while you all do not. My instincts tell me something is not right. I think they were telling me this all along, but I wasn''t listening. Since purchasing the ring, I have found out they lied about something to us. This is only confirming suspicians about them.

At any rate, the ring will be returned. And I thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
1.gif

p.s. strm, I got your joke.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be that you would rather upgrade to a higher color?

... it sounds strange that a diamond changed appearance. It could be that you stopped liking the particular choice made, and that can happen to anyone. That is what upgrades are for
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Valeria, it''s TOTALLy strange that it changed. Like I said before, I would not believe it, if I hadn''t seen it with my own eyes. And I''ve just now had it two weeks today, not enough time I would think to stop liking it.

The thing is, I ADORED this ring. It gave me immense pleasure to look at it. Then something happened.

And as for the color, I compared this stone at the store with an F, not much difference. I have a D emerald cut diamond, and a CZ round (which I''ve read are always D). I compared them right away, just to see how big the difference was. I was amazed, not as much as I thought. I''m sure it was due to the good cut. So, I will probably go with an I again, maybe H. No higher.

I thought buying a new ring would be fun, it has been anything but. And honestly, I don''t trust anyone anymore...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I''m sorry this experience has not been fun for you
8.gif
. I may have missed it but did you take your ring/stone to an independant appraiser? No matter how much I trust a vendor I would always take the stone/ring to someone independant to double check I''m getting what I paid for. I know the store said it matched the cert and i''m not doubting that, but, the the store is not independant. Anyway, I would suggest having your next stone appraised indepentantly right away. That way, if something funny happens 2 weeks later, you can take it back to them to verify the change or they might be able to tell you what happened. You''ll also want to see if a highly regarded PS appraiser can do it. There have been a few on the vender list that many have had poor experiences with. Depending on where you live Dave Atlas is in PA. RocDoc and Richard Sherwood(who did my appraiseal and it was awesome) are in FL and Denverappraiser is in CO. Nancy (i don''t know her last name but a bunch of the CA pricescopers have used her) is in CA. and Martin Fuller is in the DC area.

sidenote- an acid bath is a lot different than just regular cleaner and boiling in hot water.

bottom line, sounds like your unhappy with the vendor and no matter what we say you want to return/exchange it. I''m very glad you have this option for many people do not. Good luck finding a new stone
1.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Ellen ~

I''ve been following this thread with interest and I''m so sorry to learn of your experience, especially since you and I have PM''d before, and I feel like I kind of know you ...

Is there any chance that you would consider an on-line vendor such as Good Old Gold or Whiteflash the 2nd time around???????

This forum is a small testament to the thousands of more-than-satisfied customers from both vendors.

And there are others - such as James Allen and Wink Jones - I''ve never dealt with them personally but I always read positive comments about them

I hope you will keep us posted. Best of luck with your continued search and please, let us know what you finally determine happened to your original stone.
4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo, thank you. Without going into the reasons why, no, I did not go to an independant appraisor. I do know that this stone is the stone on my cert.

But you are right about having that done.

BrownEyes, thank you as well. Yes, after all this, I would consider an online vendor.

Another problem I forsee with purchasing online is, I live close to St. Louis. There are no appraisers in my area. So I'm guessing I would have to have the stone either sent to me, then to them, or vice versa? And then if the vendor is setting it, back to them?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, when do you plan to return your ring? Let us know how it goes.

Yes, if you have an online stone sent to an appraiser and you check it out and like it, you then have to send it back to the vendor to have it set. Check the policies of the various vendors. I think that you might have to pay the shipping back to the vendor but I''m not sure.

And I know what you mean about not being able to ask people things privately. There are some things that you would rather not discuss on an open forum. I''d rather not give out phone numbers online but that may be the only way to do it now.

Someone on here once used an appraiser in St. Louis named Therese Kienstra. She''s on Brentwood Blvd. in Clayton, I believe. I do not know her and I do not know for sure that she is totally independent but you might check her out. (314) 862-5054

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patty, thanks for the name of the appraiser. I looked her up online, she was listed as independent, so I will give her a call and verify!

I spoke with the store yesterday and told them what happened and that I would be returning the ring Monday.

The gist of it was, they said a diamond can't just turn blue. I agree. And it sounded like a chemical reaction. If it was, it would have to be with something that was possibly left on the diamond when I got it, as hot water and jewelry cleaner simply can't do that alone. That explanation was not offered by them. But they are taking the ring back.

dominicr

Rough_Rock
Ellen:
I was browsing some of my old communications and found this thread.

If you haven't already chosen a stone, you may want to move up in color. My experience is that higher color stones play fewer tricks on the eyes. I don't know why your stone appears different. There appears to be many theories, I won't speculate on what I haven't seen.
dominicr

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2006 6:39:25 AM
Author: valeria101

Well, I might have seen something similar - as much as the verbal descriptions goes: a near colorless diamond with strong fluorescence turning pinkish under sunlight. The one I am talking about had whit-ish fluorescence and red/orange phosphorescence. The object would glow a few seconds after exposure to the UV light in the jeweler''s shop. However, I have never found an explanation of phosphorescence in diamonds that would mention that color persists while the stone is exposed to UV (not afterwards).
That sounds like photoluminescence to me. I have seen diamonds that turn from one color to another when exposed to light. They will look one color when you first open the parcel then quickly change over ten to twenty seconds to an entirely different color especially in sunlight.

Just now saw your post or I would have answered then...

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results