shape
carat
color
clarity

flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ace

Rough_Rock
I found this diamond online and it says it has a MB (I assume medium blue) flourescence. I have never seen it or am no where near an expert, but this sounds like a plus (to me). I thought a slight hint of blue would be appealing. I know I am probably in the minority here, but can someone give me some information about this?

Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you may or may not notice it in normal viewing conditions. especially depending on the body color of the stone. in blacklight conditions the stone will glow. in rare instances the fluorescence may be strong enough to cause the stone to appear cloudy or dull, so you should have the vendor check for this before purchase. i think med. blue fluor. is cool and would defintely consider purchasing a stone that had fluor.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Not in the minority on this board. There are many fans of Blue Fluor around here!

That said, what color grade is stone?

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
I do not think it is a big problem.
Fluo. is an issue if very strong or strong in very high color diamonds (D-E F).
You will probably will not even notice the Med. Fluo.
Hope this helps,
Michael
www.thediamond.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on whose Medium Blue it happens to be. Some of the largest labs are erratic in their application of grading fluorescence. Medium BLue can be quite moderate and invisible as the previous poster advised you, but it can sometimes be quite strong. We just wonder why it is so inconsistently graded. Dealers really like NONE or Negligible or Faint much better. Less to argue over when it comes down to the final price. More fluorescence means more haggling.

Medium Blue may be enough to alter the perceived body color of the diamond by a grade or two. You''ll be asked to pay for the perceived better grade even if it is a wrong actual grade. You won''t be in a position to know how to properly haggle over the effect of the fluorescence or the right price, so be careful when you see Medium Blue.

This is a conservative way to act. People selling diamonds with Medium Blue prefer to say it means little to nothing. Most of the time they are right enough, but sometimes you need to just be a bit more skeptical and less innocent........
31.gif

ace

Rough_Rock
Thank you. It is a Princess H color stone graded by GIA.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA is well known among appraisers as erratic in their use of "medium" when it comes to UV fluorescence. How much or how little there actually is remains uncertain without seeing the diamond. How much the color is adjusted by the UV fluorescent effect is a further part that won''t be known until the stone is examined. Without a professional and unbiased party examining the diamond, you have no way to know the true nature of the diamond or any potential problem with the grade to dollar value relationship.

It may be a great diamond with no problems at all. It might not be, however. No one can assure you sight unseen. A seller''s representation is not necessarily unbiased.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results