shape
carat
color
clarity

Floresence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, i am very intrigued with all your knowledge and helpful tips on diamonds.. All of your rings are beautiful! I guess i am wondering really what is floresence, can anyone point me in the right direction on getting some helpful and useful information? Is it good/bad? My significant other has given me a few smaller diamond rings and they sometimes have a blue hue to them... is that normal? is that a product of the Floresence?

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
nevermind i answered my own question.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UV fluorescence is present in all diamonds if there is sufficent UV energy present. In all reality, most diamonds exhibit some UV fluorescence. Only a minority exhibit enough to make much visual difference such as changing color or clouding up when UV is present.

Diamond dealers are generally the kind of fellows who look to haggle over asking prices before buying. Therefore any "issue" important or not, such as the amount and color of UV fluorescence becomes a bargaining chip. It has an effect on value, but only a large effect if the fluorescence degrades the appearance to the naked eyes. Once in a while blue UV fluorescence actually makes a slightly off white diamond look less colored. Once in a while a yellow fluorescence makes a fancy yellow diamond more intensely colored. Those rare occurences increase the value potentially, but most UV fluorescence tends to decrease value a little.

If you want safety, then avoid diamonds with more than "slight" amounts. If you are buying the very finest of diamonds then simply avoid any UV fluorescence. It is sensible to err on the side of caution at the upper end of prices. Commercial diamonds, less expensive jewelry, no one really cares a whole lot about UV fluorescence.

Hope this helps you see the relative importance of the subject.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your response.. After looking further into this site i found a tutorial that i looked at and kinda explained to me... my rings are pretty tiny, and looking at them with the naked eye i do not see any blue hues.... but in the sun is a whole different story.. now after learning this i realize it is just the sparkle.... but i could have sworn that the retailer said something about flouresence... or at least thats what he told my boyfriend... I guess he has said to start looking at some rings that i like, and there is just soo much information i dont even know where to start!
1.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a blacklight and go into a dark room - if any of your stones have true fluoresence, they will glow, the intensity depending on how much fluoresence they have. Personally, I love fluoresence - I have a D color with strong blue fluoresence, and I think it is pretty awesome!

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I get really frustrated when I hear things about fluorescence. I have been to several websites on the subject and each one agreed that it doesn''t affect its value UNLESS it is in a negative way. Sometimes it is so strong that the diamond can look oily...which is definitely a negative affect. In parts of the world however I have discovered that Flu. is actually coveted in some traditions, because in general very few diamonds have it. Therefor it is rarer so they consider it to be more valued. I have a F RB and it glows a little purple under lights and glows in the black light. It worried me at first but after a ton of research I have a different opinion.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
So really it is based on personal preference. Like i said before, this diamond thing is new to me, and well the 4''c are just starting to sink in :)

By the way i REALLY love your ring! that is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results