color
clarity

Five stone ring, stone size recommendations for 4.25 finger

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Five stone ring, stone size recommendations for 4.25 fin

mtabh|1342725217|3236746 said:
Did you draw that? Epic. And great explanation!!!

Haha that's what you get when I'm on my lunch break ::) It was something that came up when I reset so with all the discussion on finger coverage...

Shiny_Rock

Katiedi - the quote was for uncert 0.25 but now I am thinking 0.3...WF didnt give me a quote on 0.3 but said the cert adds an extra 200 dollars per diamond. So i have been looking at 0.3s on diff sites. BN is 450ish per stone which looks good price range. Also I got quotes from local jewellers to do the trellis and it wasn't too bad. A local jeweller also said they could do a 5 G SI1s 0.3 plus plat setting for 4800 incl tax.

Yssie, I had thought about collecting stones, and I initially thought I would do that, especially as I may change my mind and collect a larger stone, make earrings who knows! However someone did say if the stones are for one ring to get a jellewer to select all the stones so they match. I'm a bit sentimental when it comes to jewellery, that it is a gift marking an occassion from your bf/fi/dh whomever. rather than me buying it myself. as we've just had the wedding, engagement, honeymoon etc etc I think its more realistic to wait for a while or to accumulate the stones one by one. My husband is happy with getting the stones first as well :)) rather than 5k right now. So Yssie what are your thoughts as you have experiencing in both? Wait for it in one go or collect gradually?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

2023|1342741690|3236916 said:
Katiedi - the quote was for uncert 0.25 but now I am thinking 0.3...WF didnt give me a quote on 0.3 but said the cert adds an extra 200 dollars per diamond. So i have been looking at 0.3s on diff sites. BN is 450ish per stone which looks good price range. Also I got quotes from local jewellers to do the trellis and it wasn't too bad. A local jeweller also said they could do a 5 G SI1s 0.3 plus plat setting for 4800 incl tax.

Yssie, I had thought about collecting stones, and I initially thought I would do that, especially as I may change my mind and collect a larger stone, make earrings who knows! However someone did say if the stones are for one ring to get a jellewer to select all the stones so they match. I'm a bit sentimental when it comes to jewellery, that it is a gift marking an occassion from your bf/fi/dh whomever. rather than me buying it myself. as we've just had the wedding, engagement, honeymoon etc etc I think its more realistic to wait for a while or to accumulate the stones one by one. My husband is happy with getting the stones first as well :)) rather than 5k right now. So Yssie what are your thoughts as you have experiencing in both? Wait for it in one go or collect gradually?

Yeah, reports in these sizes add so much relative to what the stone is worth... rarely worth it if you're working w/ a trusted jeweller unless you happen to get them at a really good price I think!

Collecting vs. instant gratification - toughie :bigsmile: I was collecting old cuts on the secondary market so there were some flubs and there was some oh-my-god-I-want-my-money-back-now!! - but you're looking at RBs, right? So they'd be super easy to match yourself one by one - they're so popular there's no dearth of them!!

A couple of concerns with that though - I know WF won't sell melee that's not set, so if they consider 0.2s and 0.3s melee then you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the non-certed ACA melee unless you bought the whole thing at once. I don't know if other vendors have policies like this? The other is that it can actually be a bit of a pain to get a single well-cut melee stone, so I'd definitely suggest the 0.25s or the 0.3s because at least then you always have JA and BN (they only go so small) as fallbacks, if that makes sense.

I had fun with it. I did a little writeup every time I bought a stone, even the ones I returned, and I gave it to her - I think she was more amused than particularly touched, but it was definitely a project to remember for me ::)

Shiny_Rock

Yay, thats what i hoped. I can learn more in the process and hopefully know enough to get similar dimensioned stones with the right diameters! On BN I can get ideal 0.3 GIA certed F/G SI1s for 450 ish so am considering that. I can then decide to go with a jeweller custom made, and they have no problem with me bringing in my own stones. I'm too scared to ask an online vendor if they would set stones from a competitor!!!

I have to admit I do like seeing things in person, and there is a comfort and romance in seeing them. Which is why I bother the poor local jewellers. Online it becomes all numbes and angles!!!

I'm a shiny rock now :)) when I started this post it was 100 posts ago!

Thanks yssie for your input and advice :))

This first post was just before my bday, as I was thinking about getting a stone then for my bday - But then I got myself in a muddle about buying them all at once.

Maybe a when we first met anniversary gift?!! can be one!!! Otherwise it's Xmas!!!

I really do need to draw the line from gift vs self purchase otherwise it could get very messy :lol: I'd be buying stones right now rather than vicariously living through other peoples purchases!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe I shouldn't be looking at certed stones. If I want ACA, does that automatically mean they're certed or not? If I could get uncerted ACAs, I'd be fine with that.

Shiny_Rock

You can get uncerted ACA stones under 0.30 carats at WF.

Shiny_Rock

Yssie!

I was just looking at the pics you drew, do you have a doctorate in maths or something in real life? There were some serious equations imprinted on the paper!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results