shape
carat
color
clarity

Fish recipes needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
In an effort to improve my family''s diet, I''m going to try to serve fish at least once per week. I have always liked fish in restaurants, but I''ve never really learned how to prepare it. I''m looking for reasonably kid friendly fish recipes...and side dish suggestions. Please no shellfish because I''m allergic to it.

Thanks!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ID here are two I am contemplating trying tonite...

I already bought the ahi and the ingredients for BOTH because I'll try one tonite and the other next week but they both sound so good I am torn.

I have been craving crusted seared ahi lately!

This one is from the Whole Foods website:

Seared Cumin Tuna Steaks
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free

Aromatic whole cumin seeds impart texture and spice, while a touch of coconut oil, ideal for high temperature pan frying and searing, lends a sweet tropical flavor to the dish. While you may use ground cumin in this recipe, whole cumin seeds typically have more flavor and a longer pantry shelf life. Tuna is delicious, but feel free to substitute any firm whitefish, including mahi mahi, halibut or sturgeon.

Serves 4

4 tuna steaks 6 oz each (about 3/4 inch thick)
2 TB crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste)
2 TB unrefined coconut oil
2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
2 TB coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
lime wedges for garnish (1 lime)
In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper; stir to blend. Sprinkle the cumin mixture evenly over the fish, coating it completely. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot. Place the fish in the hot skillet, partially covering the skillet with a lid to lessen the splattering. Sear for about 3 minutes. Turn the fish over and sprinkle with the lime juice, continue to cook until lightly browned on the outside and opaque in the center, about 3 minutes.

Transfer the fish to plates, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

Nutrition Information
Per Serving (189g-wt.): 250 calories (80 calories from fat), 9g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 1g dietary fiber, 38g protein, 2g carbohydrate

And this one is is from Food Network from the 30 minute meals show, no nutritional info listed:

Seared Ahi Tuna and Salad of Mixed Greens with Wasabi Vinaigrette (serves 1)

1 ahi tuna steak, 6 ounces
2 teaspoons five-spice powder, available on spice aisle
1 teaspoon grill seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning, or salt and coarse pepper
Cooking spray or vegetable oil, for brushing the grill pan
5 ounces, half a sack, mixed prewashed baby salad greens
2 radishes, sliced
1/4 European cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons -virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Coat your steak with a combination of five-spice powder and grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or griddle over high heat. Spray grill surface or wipe with a thin layer of oil. Add tuna steak to the hot cooking surface and sear tuna 2 minutes on each side. Remove tuna from heat.
Combine greens, radishes and cucumber in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk wasabi, vinegar and soy sauce. Whisk in oil to combine dressing. Drizzle dressing over your salad and toss to coat evenly. Slice tuna on an angle and arrange on the salad. Serves one, multiple as necessary.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gosh I cook fish twice a week--ahi tuna, halibut, salmon, sea bass, but never subscribe to a recipie...just play it by ear and what I have in my fridge....

E.g. halibut fillets (never steaks too many bones): I pan fry with a touch of olive oil and dollop or two of butter until opague..salt and pepper and caraway seed

salmon fillets: BBQ/or oven bake in foil with fresh lemon, butter/olive oil and fresh dill. make a fruit salsa to accompany...fresh pineapple and or mango, chopped cilantro or basil, diced onion, fresh lime juice and mix together....(actually the salsa is good on its own!!)

ahi tuna or sea bass: bread fish fillets in ground pecans, refridgerate for 1/2 an hour, then sear in dry nonstick pan until fish is cooked (check inside of dense fish for color/temp....and try not to do not burn pecan coating) set aside.. in seperate pan saute leek or onion in butter/olive oil, and fresh tomatoes, diced celery, and lots of chopped garlic, salt/pepper, and sliced green and black olives...cook el dente.....spoon hot over freshly seared fish...

Happy eating!--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to update this...the cumin steaks are what we had and they were AWESOME!!!! I put on extra spices and we had it with a green salad with mustard wasabi vinaigrette and it was very good! We LOVE tuna...so it was fab. I am going to try the other one next week.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t eat much fish, but a co-worker of mine does and she swears by Sam''s Club''s bulk pack orange roughy. She says she puts it in foil packets with a tropical salsa (peach or mango and pineapple) on top and grills it for a few minutes or sometimes bakes it in the oven and her kids and husband just love it. Good for you, ID, for making the effort to get into a more healthy lifestyle!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipes...and the link to a previous thread I forgot about.

I had tried salmon last night...marinated in olive oil & soy sauce with chopped garlic. Grilled then when almost done I drizzled honey on it and let it carmalize. My 9 year old sort of ate it. He said it tasted ok, but he didn''t like the texture because the fish was "too soft." I think I will try Tuna next because it is a firmer fish.

Mara--on the cumin fish, does the fish get cooked all the way through? I''m sure my son would freak if it wasn''t completely cooked.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

People having varying tastes when it comes to cooking fish--some prefer their salmon "just" cooked (not completely opague) the same with their ahi tuni. I prefer halibut and swordfish cooked until it is opague, but can eat ahi tuni aor salmon as described above. My son prefers it cooked to a uniform color--that is to say, there is no "gelatenous" feel to the fish when eaten.

BTW, you can make your own "tarter" sauce, a low fat version (the stuff on store shelves is terrible), whihc sometime kids find makes fish more "palatable".

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ID the recipe calls for just a searing of the tuna, aka 2 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the tuna steak...BUT if you cook it all the way through it still tastes good...I know because we had one big steak and a mini one last nite and I left the mini one on too long for just a searing so it cooked about 90% of the way through with just a thin pink line in the middle. I was worried at first because we both really like our tuna just seared so 1/2 cooked and 1/2 raw BUT the little steak tasted really yummy too!! So I think if you cooked it all the way through it''d be just fine and still taste yummy (maybe double the cooking time in the recipe to get that but it depends on your steak sizing for), you can see how it is cooking by just looking at the side view of the steak, the pink slowly disappears and tuna cooks rather uniformly inside as well. The seasoning on the fish made it REALLY tasty, I don''t use cumin that often but it was a great taste and grilling it in the coconut oil was just perfect!!!!

re: the salmon, I also don''t like undercooked salmon because it''s too soft...I tend to prefer firmer fishes like tuna, halibut and then in the softer ones I like orange roughy, tilapia and i love a good sea bass.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Island Dreams:

I grew up on fish. My mom used to cook it all the time.

This one is expecially tasty on the grill.

Marinated Grilled Mahi Mahi
Marinade Ingredients:

1 regular bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (yes it must be Kraft and I can''t remember how many ounces are in a regular size bottle of dressing)
1 small bottle of low sodium soy sauce
1 small bottle of lemon juice

Meal Ingredients:
mahi mahi fillets (marinade will be enough for up to 10 fillets)
roma tomatoes quartered
zuccini sliced into thick slices
button mushrooms
purple onion chopped
(or any favorite veggie)
metal or wooden scewers
white or long grain rice

Directions:
Combine (with wisk) the marinade ingredients and set aside a small amount to baste vegetables

Place the marinade in a glass dish and place the mahi mahi into the marinade(make sure the fish is covered on both sides). Marinate the fish for 20-30 minutes.

Warm your grill or start your charcoals

While grill is warming up, pierce your veggies onto the scewers.

Grill fish on both sides until cooked to your liking (it will not take long, a few minutes on each side)
While fish is grilling, grill the veggies as well, basting them with the marinate from time to time.

This is so good.
Serve with steamed white or long grain rice.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results