shape
carat
color
clarity

first set, about 35 years old

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
I cannot believe how dated this set looks - circa 1975!

The stone, if my memory serves me, is .28, G, VVS.

old ring 2.JPG

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
side view

side view old ring 2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Your setting is very "retro" and your diamond is very nice!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Let''s call this set vintage
2.gif

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
Gee, I was going to call it vintage, but then that dates me soooo much. Can I really be so old that I own "vintage jewellery" that I was around for when it was made? Funny, I do not feel old on the inside.

Now that I have a new e-ring, I have to figure out what to do with this one. I think I will buy a matching diamond and have some really nice earrings made. I usually have all my left over gold made into bangles. I have two nice weight bangles right now, and if I include this old gold setting I would have enough for another one.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I meant "retro" in the nicest, possible way...I was born in the 70''s!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting vintage set. I like the prongs and the width of the ering band.
9.gif

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it is definitely "retro". I love to see how the styles change over the years - well, except the classics like the Tiffany settings. I think that the style a person chooses really reflects where they are at during a given time frame in their lives. That is what makes jewellery so special - it makes such a personal statement.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I agree completely what you are saying. Reflecting on your set probably triggers vivid memories of the time period in which you received it. It is probably similar to feeling you get when reading a diary.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it was retro in 1975? I don''t recall ever seeing that setting before. And I remember the 70''s very well. Of course it could be a regional thing.

I love the idea of melting it down into a bangle! Very smart.

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
You got me thinking StoneHunter, so I googled the name on the jewellery box. Sure enough the name Siffari Jewellers is a Canadian company that has been in business in Ontario since 1941. So you are probably right that it is a regional thing, from that little northern country (you know, Canada!). I got this ring in a small town in northern Alberta where we lived at the time and I actually remember seeing other sets that were very close to this one, so it was known up here at the time.

Good deductive reasoning!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 1:25:08 PM
Author: BlackIsland
be so old Gee, I was going to call it vintage, but then that dates me soooo much. Can I really that I own 'vintage jewellery' that I was around for when it was made? Funny, I do not feel old on the inside.

Now that I have a new e-ring, I have to figure out what to do with this one. I think I will buy a matching diamond and have some really nice earrings made. I usually have all my left over gold made into bangles. I have two nice weight bangles right now, and if I include this old gold setting I would have enough for another one.
That's not to say that you are vintage
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 9:23:29 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Maybe it was retro in 1975? I don''t recall ever seeing that setting before. And I remember the 70''s very well. Of course it could be a regional thing.

Yeah, most of my friends and I got plain yellow gold tiffany settings during that time period (southeast US). The same setting that the girls here call a temp setting! (Mine lasted 30 years until I got a new set! Same husband, new rings!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a neat and unusual setting, I like it! Seeks is right about the YG Tiffany settings, still my first choice - classic!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2007 8:25:26 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 8/13/2007 9:23:29 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Yeah, most of my friends and I got plain yellow gold tiffany settings during that time period (southeast US). The same setting that the girls here call a temp setting! (Mine lasted 30 years until I got a new set! Same husband, new rings!)
Yes I too had one of the plain WG tiffany settings for the past 15 years. And I bought it in the Southeast US.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results