shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post/Thread! Request: shared settting band w/ 1 - 2 pointers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MyFirstDeuce

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

W/ your help I''ve been able to increase my knowledge on engagement rings. I''ve been able to narrow it down to what I want and have reduced the time needed for long discussion at my jeweler.

I was hoping I could get a little help in the form of providing me w/ a picture.

I am interested in a shared prong setting eternity band accented half way around. I am hoping to achieve a very clean and thin look. What I am debating about is the size of the accents. I have seen 3, 5, and 10 pointers. They give a very dramatic look and help to reduce the contrast that the metal prongs/bead bring.

I would like to try smaller stones b/c the ring size i would be getting is 3.5. I need something petite. However I would like to maintain the balance and proportions achieved by using 3 - 5 pointers. W/ 1 - 2 pointers will the amount of metal showing in relation to diamond be the same? I don''t want the metal to overpower the little stones and I am not even sure if it would be physically feasible to have prongs that small.

Does anyone have pictures of a shared setting eternity band w/ 1 - 2 pointers?

Thanks for all your continued help.

-al

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I''m not an expert, but I will tell you that I have a shared prong band with .03 pt stones all the way around (eternity style) and my band is pretty thin. It''s about 2.3 mm or so. I don''t think it''s really safe to make it much thinner--I think I remember reading that 2 mm is the thinnest most jewelers will make it. So you could probably get by with .02 pt stones but I don''t know about .01 pts.

good luck!

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
I have a shared prong setting with 5 pointers and my setting measured at 2.4mm. When we talked to jewelers, they confirmed what Katie is saying about not going below 2 mm. The only other setting I''m aware of which is less than 2 mm is the Ritani Endless love setting which is not a shared prong style, but it is 1.8 or 1.9 mm.

The only other option you might have to keep the diamonds smaller than 3 points but still have enough metal to create 2 mm, is probably the "fishtail pave." Although it is technically "pave" style, it is similar looking to the shared prong style and it is quite lovely. Lynn B has a beautiful fishtail pave set done by Whiteflash and hers is 2.1 mm but they probably will do 2 mm. Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/

Good luck!

MyFirstDeuce

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. I''ll continue to hunt for a picture. Hopefully one will turn up in this thread.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I wear a size 3.5 and I have a 3 pointer shared prong eternity band. My band is about 2.2mm wide. As other''s have said, I wouldn''t make the band less than 2mm''s. Even with a size 3.5, 3 pointers will look dainty. I don''t think you need to go down to 1 or 2 pointers. I also don''t think it''s possible to have a shared prong setting for 1 pointers for safety reasons. It would most likely be pave.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results