shape
carat
color
clarity

First fun run!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Well, now the wedding planning is over, and I have all this free time (and a few extra honeymoon kilos) I have signed up for my first ever fun run!!

I am so nervous and excited. I have never run before (ok, I had two sessions with DH, but that was only a few mins run, few mins walk etc). Now I am signed up to do a 5.2km run!!!!

I am still on my big weight loss journey, so I know this will be fabulous for me.

Are any of you runners/joggers? Anyone never done it before and then tried, and found it easy? Feel free to tell me it''s going to be easy!!
40.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
totally not my thing, but I just wanted to commend you and I hope it goes well. when is it and are you going to train for it?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
noelwr - it''s not my thing either
2.gif
9.gif

But seriously, I am going to train for it. I have 59 days, roughly 9 weeks and my friend showed me this 9 week training program that gets you from no running experience to 5kms - perfect, and I have just enough time.

It''s basically interval training, 1 min walk, 1 min jog, total 20 mins, kind of thing. Three times a week then you increase your jogging intervals every week until you are jogging for 30 mins straight. Seems easy hey?

I still plan on doing my three aerobics classes a week (2 pump and 1 step)

OMG! If I don''t lose any weight after all that I will throw myself off a bridge!!!!!
20.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Honey, this is so great! Congrats on committing to the fun run - that''s always the first step and a tough one to take sometimes!
36.gif

I''m a half-marathoner so I have a little experience, but have kind of fallen off the running wagon in the past two years, thanks to law school. But since the wedding is coming up in ten short months, it''s time for me to kick it back into high gear as well! (Got up at 5am to get in some yoga today...it was sad to finally realize how weak I have become! I can''t even do some of my favorite poses anymore b/c I am not as strong as I used to be
38.gif
)

It sounds like you have a great plan and lots of support from DH and your friend! Keep us all posted and if you''re looking for any advice or support, I''m happy to help and I''m sure there are plenty of runners on PS who will chime in too!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on such a huge undertaking!

I don''t think I would ever have the guts to do that, but I wish you the best and hope for a most successful outcome! you are going to be smokin'' hot by the time the fun run comes around!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 5:49:34 AM
Author: honey22
noelwr - it''s not my thing either
2.gif
9.gif

But seriously, I am going to train for it. I have 59 days, roughly 9 weeks and my friend showed me this 9 week training program that gets you from no running experience to 5kms - perfect, and I have just enough time.

It''s basically interval training, 1 min walk, 1 min jog, total 20 mins, kind of thing. Three times a week then you increase your jogging intervals every week until you are jogging for 30 mins straight. Seems easy hey?

I still plan on doing my three aerobics classes a week (2 pump and 1 step)

OMG! If I don''t lose any weight after all that I will throw myself off a bridge!!!!!
20.gif
Congrats Honey, signing up for a run is a great way to get you on track.

I can relate to your story. I was NEVER a runner, and when my then BF got me into it, I kinda did it grumbling all the way. When I told my mom and friends they literally said, really, you running? But, I too signed up for a 5K run in March ''08. It gave me something to strive for and I took the challenge head on.

Fast forward to now, I absolutely love it! I ran the 5K then before my first half marathon, I got injured and had to stop for a while, but then I signed up for another half-marathon and completed it in Nov ''08 in a very respectable time
9.gif
I have also completed a 10 miler, a 10K and will be doing my second half marathon the last weekend in February! (Btw, for your first half marathon, I highly recommend the Rock and Roll series, they are the best!)

My only advice is to pace yourself during the race (its hard not to hit the ground hauling butt at the start due to the excitement) and also, after you finish this one, sign yourself up for another race, just so you will stay on track!

Good luck with training and let me know if you need any tips
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
That really sounds like fun! I have been running with my wiifit while I watch tv but have been slacking lately so I''m planning to do that after work today :)

I don''t know if I missed it but how long is a fun run usually? I would love to try one up in the mountains
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Congrats for signing up! Sometimes that is the hardest part!

My last 5k was great... except for the morning after. I decided that I didn''t need to train, and ended up running it pretty quickly. However, the day after and the one following that were torture! Main advice, get out and train so that your muscles get used to the movement, or else they will punish you afterwards.

Good luck!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Don''t worry about your time, just enjoy finishing and you''ll have a lot more fun. Worry about your time for the next one!

Congrats on deciding to do this!!!

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Good luck! I enjoy running and have done a few 5k and 10K runs and loved them, they are so much fun especially the bigger ones where there are people chearing you on along the way!

I would start training for sure just ease into it and start running a mile or two then do a little more each day until you are comfortable with the 5 miles!

Actually yesterday I just bought Nike + for iPod ($29), I haven''t used it yet, but I can''t wait! It connects to your iPod if you have one and you put this sensor in your shoe (special shoes - Nike+) not really any more expensive than normal running shoes. And you have to sync them together and while you are listening to your iPod it tells you how far you have gone and how much farther you have to go to reach your goal. Then you can put it on your computer and it will tell you how many calories you used, etc and keep a tab on your progress! I think I am going to love it once I use it! But it is worth looking into! Good Luck and have fun!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Honey-

First, CONGRATS on this awesome goal! Wahoo! You''ll be running 5.2km in no time!

I would recommend the couch-to-5k program. Just Google it. It''s a great program for those who have no real running experience. It''s 8 or 9 weeks long, and by the end, you should be able to run a 5k non-stop. DH & I tried it out last spring and I really enjoyed it.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
OT: pils, do you run? The 5k I looked at is up in Estes Park this summer :)

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:03:28 PM
Author: Jena17
Good luck! I enjoy running and have done a few 5k and 10K runs and loved them, they are so much fun especially the bigger ones where there are people chearing you on along the way!

I would start training for sure just ease into it and start running a mile or two then do a little more each day until you are comfortable with the 5 miles!

Actually yesterday I just bought Nike + for iPod ($29), I haven''t used it yet, but I can''t wait! It connects to your iPod if you have one and you put this sensor in your shoe (special shoes - Nike+) not really any more expensive than normal running shoes. And you have to sync them together and while you are listening to your iPod it tells you how far you have gone and how much farther you have to go to reach your goal. Then you can put it on your computer and it will tell you how many calories you used, etc and keep a tab on your progress! I think I am going to love it once I use it! But it is worth looking into! Good Luck and have fun!
The Nike+ works with non-nike shoes too - you can buy a little velcro pouch to hold the sensor on your shoelaces. I don''t like Nike shoes because they run too narrow for my feet, but I have been using the nike+ system with the pouch to track my runs for about a month now. It takes some time to calibrate it properly (need to run known distances and get it used to your gait) but overall I like it.

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Steph! I can''t wait to use mine! I was told by someone in the store when I was debating if I wanted to buy the shoes and he said that the pouch does work but not nearly as accurate as the shoes but I am sure it is just fine. If I didn''t need new running shoes anyways I probably would have tried it out!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
biggest piece of advice. increase mileage no more than 10% a week. increase your longest run no more than 10% a week. That should keep you injury free. Your heart and lungs will be up for the task before your tendons and ligaments. So just because "you''re feeling good" doesn''t mean you wont get hurt. The 10% rule will keep you in check - and get you tehre safely.

Good luck, and have fun!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I love running and I find that it really keeps me fit when I stick to it! My biggest advice, and forgive me if I am repeating...run outside as much as possible. I made that mistake my very first run, the pavement is so different compared to a treadmill and breathing fresh air is WAY different than inside air.

Good luck!!!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
First, congrats for giving running a try! I hope you enjoy it. 5k''s are fun, and a very rewarding experience!

Date: 1/13/2010 5:45:22 PM
Author: Blair138
I love running and I find that it really keeps me fit when I stick to it! My biggest advice, and forgive me if I am repeating...run outside as much as possible. I made that mistake my very first run, the pavement is so different compared to a treadmill and breathing fresh air is WAY different than inside air.

Good luck!!!
I find running outside easier. Whenever I run on a treadmill, I get bored and always find myself concentrating on how much time I have left.

Smurfy- Do you run at all? When I moved to CO, it was super difficult to run due to altitude. I''m still not there yet. Running in the mtns would be tough!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome, Honey!

I was never a big runner, but I really wanted to become a better runner in college so I started a "Running club for non-runners." It was a lot of fun, and I was amazed at how quickly I was able to build up my endurance when I first started. I was probably running a ten minute mile when I started that club, and tired at the end of those ten minutes, but after a semester of regular running I was faster and I could run much longer. I''ve also heard wonderful things about the couch to 5K program, totally try that.

DH and I just bought a Livestrong treadmill for our house, we intend to put the dog on it so she can get adequate exercise during the winter months. (She loves it, by the way, and she looks super cute running on it!) Anyway, I''m such a cheapskate that I decided I was going to get our money''s worth out of that sucker, so I''ve been running a mile on it every other day. It''s not much, and I''m still doing my regular lifting and cardio routine at the gym, but I actually feel really great after running just a couple times a week. I get faster each time, too.

Good luck training! DH and I are going to do the Muddy Buddy this year, I can''t wait to start working towards that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results