shape
carat
color
clarity

First buy for an unheated ruby from mozambique 1.06ct

Thegemguy

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I am pretty young and I am thinking to buy my first ruby. I always wanted to buy one and more precisely an unheated one. I found this one that I like and it is in my price. I compared between various sites and the price seemed to me rather correct. The price of the stone is 6350 US$
What do you think about it?

Last edited:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Thegemguy, Ruby collector here. Hard pass on this one, too dark and not ideal color. Also, this vendor is not on the recommended vendor list and for good reasons.

try Inken (enhoering jewelry) and tell her what you want + your budget, she will find a proper ruby for you.

cheers,
VR

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What "colour" preference do you want in a ruby? This one looks really dark and brown.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is a garnet-like ruby with a bad cut (see-through window). I'd pass unless it was 1/3 the price. I have bought from the vendor before, but have no idea how he prices these gems (some under, most over what I consider a good price), as most of what he offers I'm uninterested in adding to my collection.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes, the cut and color of the ruby are unimpressive, and the price is really on the high side.

As a comparable, here's a 1.06ct unheated (AGL) oval Ruby from GemFix priced at $3995 with much better color and much better cut -- if you click on the link there's also a video.

https://gemfix.com/gems/ruby-19-594
1629212347473.png

GemFix also has a number of other unheated Rubies in your price range, if the one I posted doesn't appeal.

Thegemguy

Rough_Rock
What "colour" preference do you want in a ruby? This one looks really dark and brown.

I look for something the closest to the blood pigeon color with an oval or cushion cut and it is really better for me if I can pay cash, my price range (5-8k) so I have to make concessions.

To my eyes, the cut and color of the ruby are unimpressive, and the price is really on the high side.

As a comparable, here's a 1.06ct unheated (AGL) oval Ruby from GemFix priced at $3995 with much better color and much better cut -- if you click on the link there's also a video.

https://gemfix.com/gems/ruby-19-594
1629212347473.png

GemFix also has a number of other unheated Rubies in your price range, if the one I posted doesn't appeal.

Thanks for the link the cut and color is much better effictively.

Indeed after having looked at your opinions I do not think of buying it any more I can find better for less. Anyway thank you for your advices I found the forum yesterday, and it seems that there is a lot of expert here. Chances are I'll be here a lot from now on :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can find much better, as noted above :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can def. find better.

https://www.africagems.com/ruby-cushion-1-01-201813063.html its slightly smaller then the gemfix one, but tonally brighter. cut is good. It is a pinkish red though on the GIA report its definitely a ruby. Its a different shape than an oval however, so can look visibly smaller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results