carat
color
clarity

fireworks.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about them?

As an owner of a young child and a dog, I loath them now.

My neighbors will shoot them off until 11 at night. My dog having grown up on an Amish farm then in my former country home is very unfamiliar with them. They scare him so much. He won't go outside. Even to do his business. He just cowers in our closet. And he really isn't that kind of dog! Then he finally ends up doing his business in the house. Ugh.

My daughter can't sleep though them as they at literally going off over her bedroom.

Fireworks at 9 at the park? Fun. Fireworks in my front yard all night long? :angryfire:

Lol can someone remind me that they are actually fun? Or do others feel my pain??

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I am with you on this one, Niel. Very frustrating to have to deal with them going off late into the evening right in the neighborhood. I think it is incredibly inconsiderate. At the park or ballpark or.....great. Right outside my house....not cool.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain.. Used to live in an area with lots of them. Our home is now in a place where they are illegal in city limits so only the city run show at park is allowed. :appl:

Our dog has always hated them. Younger dog doesn't care so long as she can't see them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The big professional shows are nice once or twice a year in an official venue, but NIMBY.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1401223012|3681170 said:
I feel your pain.. Used to live in an area with lots of them. Our home is now in a place where they are illegal in city limits so only the city run show at park is allowed. :appl:

Our dog has always hated them. Younger dog doesn't care so long as she can't see them.
What's weird is I would think I'm in an area where they wouldn't be allowed. Like you I'm within city limits. But they do it every summer holiday and nobody has ever came to stop them.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not much of a fan either. We had someone in our neighborhood shooting off a few last night. When the kids were little we used to go to a stadium to see them. We didn't pay the huge fee to get in but another family would go with us and we would sit in an open space behind the small field and watch them from there. The kids could play and we could talk and we had a great time.

We've gone to the beach to see them the last couple of years, but that is kind of hit or miss with the marine layer and it's really crowded. I think I am just kind of over the whole thing anymore. Maybe if we ever have grandkids it will be fun again.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love fireworks. They are pretty and exciting. BUT we can't ever watch them because my son James is terrified of them. To the point that he thinks something terrible will happen if we watch them. We can't even watch them on tv.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1401223530|3681176 said:
I am not much of a fan either.

But luv2sparkle, I thought you luvedsparkle. :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm terrified of them and always have been. I hate loud noises and I startle easily.

At New year's, in a big area and when I'm expecting it I can tolerate them if I'm wearing ear plugs. They are allowed in our area and I enjoy them if I just see them above the houses on the other side of the park where I can't hear them. We have really good double and triple glazed doors and windows so they don't startle me like they used to when I lived in the US where the insulation and building construction was poor.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them, love the smell of gunpowder (I would sniff spent party poppers), and love the sight, the noise and unpredictability.

My pets are not so keen though, as they are startled by the loud noises.

DK :))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1401222487|3681166 said:
How do you feel about them?

As an owner of a young child and a dog, I loath them now.

My neighbors will shoot them off until 11 at night. My dog having grown up on an Amish farm then in my former country home is very unfamiliar with them. They scare him so much. He won't go outside. Even to do his business. He just cowers in our closet. And he really isn't that kind of dog! Then he finally ends up doing his business in the house. Ugh.

My daughter can't sleep though them as they at literally going off over her bedroom.

Fireworks at 9 at the park? Fun. Fireworks in my front yard all night long? :angryfire:

Lol can someone remind me that they are actually fun? Or do others feel my pain??

Niel try the Thundershirt: http://www.thundershirt.com/Product/Thundershirt.aspx?item_guid=ad60b946-f758-45e2-a589-331dda09637e

It's an amazing product that really works. My 120lb dog was terrified by fireworks. This changed his life. I recommend them to everyone!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're fun but I don't get the appeal of blowing stuff up, so I just watch and "oh" and "ah." My mother hates them. Our dog always hated them when I was a kid. My brother is a total pyromaniac and in fact I gave him a book about how to make your own fireworks for Christmas 2 years ago, along with some firestarting paste. He has always loved shooting fireworks and does a big display at the family get-together every year. But I'm with you on the neighbors shooting them off after 9-10 p.m. That's annoying.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Can you call the cops? I'm lucky that I live in a major city limit that it not only illegal to shoot off fireworks, but it is actually illegal to possess them. It's a $500 fine per firework if you are caught. We do get people who shoot them off for the 4th, but its pretty much over by 10-11pm, and even fewer on New Years. Never any other day of the year.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a fact of life on the 4th of July after the sun goes down and NYE until midnight; people who complain are grinches*. Any other day is a hell no, call the cops for disturbing the peace. I'm sorry you have jerky neighbors. I would check into the laws in your area. There might be ordinances about noise above a certain decibel level or after a certain time, even if fireworks are not prohibited.

*Of course I mean within reason, not huge pyrotechnics.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved them as a kid and I love them now. My cats just stay in the house. They don't care too much. They were blowing them up last Sunday and our puppy just hung out with Daddy and didn't seem to mind. If I had a small child I would probably just try noise canceling headphones if it was a little much for them. I plan on my kids seeing fireworks plenty so I hope it goes well :)

I'm in NY so of course they're illegal but that doesn't seem to stop anyone for just about any holiday.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the "big, planned public displays are cool, but not in my backyard" group.

There are annual Independence Day fireworks at a lake near my house, and we can watch the display from my office. Which is great, because I attract mosquitoes like nobody's business, so I don't really enjoy being outside after dark in the summer.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, big public displays are great! The ones with no noise and no smell and an awesome show, I'm all for it. The ones that scare the children and dogs and make your neighborhood look like a war zone, I could really do without. Fortunately, the latter kind has been banned here for years.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my dogs is sensitive to loud noises, too, so I give her Benadryl to help her sleep thru. Check w your vet for dosage. It doesn't work for all dogs so you may want to try it once before the fireworks start. I have no idea if it works for other pets so it should NOT be used on any other pets without asking your vet first.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1401277062|3681559 said:
Add me to the "big, planned public displays are cool, but not in my backyard" group.

There are annual Independence Day fireworks at a lake near my house, and we can watch the display from my office. Which is great, because I attract mosquitoes like nobody's business, so I don't really enjoy being outside after dark in the summer.

Me too!!! It's the worst. I have a long sleeved shirt and long pants that are treated with permethrin, and that helps tremendously and it's not deet. You can just buy permethrin spray and treat your socks/clothes with it if you want to actually sit outside and enjoy the evenings. It has been a godsend in my life.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you, Niel. I'm a fan on the fourth of July (or some other organized event that might warrant the entertainment), but other than that, no. Some good friends of our bought a house in a beach community and it's a popular vacation spot. Every weekend in the summer months (and sometimes all throughout the year), people set off fireworks until the wee hours of the morning. I can barely stand to spend a weekend with them - it would drive me absolutely bonkers if I had to put up with it on a regular basis. I'm actually sort of surprised that more places don't regulate the use of fireworks? Not that I'm a fan of more regulations, but don't many jurisdictions regulate loud noises (whether it's a car stereo, or a house party, etc.)?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer fireworks from sparkly rocks :naughty:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find them acceptable (but boring) when it's an organized event.

When it's "regular" people setting them off, near cars, children, etc., I hate them, even though I realize there are adults who are very responsible and take every precaution.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
They annoy me to no end. It's the sound being generally annoying to me, and the fact that I am just waiting for one of my idiot neighbors to burn my house down.

I also have come to the realization that in general (read: A GENERALIZATION, keep your panties unwound!) the people that buy them to shoot off in the neighborhood (this is pretty much everywhere from my experience) have ZERO consideration for anyone besides themselves. They will go at all hours, and don't pay any attention to the surroundings. Don't care if it's a drought condition. Don't care that some people might have to get up to work even though it's a holiday (nurses? police?)

Last year alone we had people shooting that crap off til 2am and the cops did very little to enforce the law prohibiting them in this city. We were awake because I was working on a wedding assembly, but it was making my blood boil that there are kids sleeping all around us, one neighbor is a nurse who works weird shifts, and these a-holes didn't care or think about it because they were having a good ole time.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not bothered by fireworks for special events (4th, community calibrations, even a birthday party or graduation, etc.); but, when someone uses them constantly.... grrrrr. That is a bit inconsiderate.

On the other hand I never buy them. They are very overpriced for what they are. I see people spending hundred of dollars at the local fireworks shops or stands at a time. I can buy a case of dynamite (about 120 sticks) for $50 to $75; plus the cost of blasting caps; and there are a whole lot more "booms" and louder ones too (even a 1/4 stick is very impressive - and yes you can cut the sticks into pieces with a knife). Of course, I do have to be selective on where I do that; and maintain an appropriate "Log" (complete with peak sound levels, etc). But, people with an actual blasters license can have a whole lot more bang for the buck than the people who buy all those fireworks can.

Life is too short not to have a blast!

Perry

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1401237235|3681310 said:
Love them, love the smell of gunpowder (I would sniff spent party poppers), and love the sight, the noise and unpredictability.

DK :))

HA! I love them too! And the smell of spent powder, shell casings, etc.! Our neighborhood is large farms and residential 5 acre parcels. About 1/4 mi away around the corner lives a pyrotechnic guy who puts on a show in his back pasture for the neighborhood so we stay home on the 4th. Sit in our backyard and watch a professional show right over our heads. We have to put our horses in their small pens because they are not all that happy about it which is why we stay home to make sure they stay safe. The dogs are used to it and sit outside with us.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love real fireworks - from afar. I don't like the sound closeup, and I especially don't like firecrackers/M80s/roman candles going off right around my house, with my dogs barking nonstop all night long...sigh.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a huge fan of fireworks. I've been to large fireworks displays/shows, and while they were okay, I didn't like the crowds. Plus, there's nothing ever different about them -- they're all the same. I also don't understand the appeal of setting them off at home. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never really understrood the desire to see/hear things blow up.
Also, some years ago, I was at a Fourth of July fireworks show in Ohio, when one of the canisters tipped over and shot into the crowd killing a 12 year old girl. So horrible. I have been skittish about them ever since.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate them. They scare the animals and they are loud and disruptive and dangerous if not done under properly controlled and safe conditions. I tolerate the public displays during the holidays but I hate it when neighbors start shooting fireworks especially just because it's nice outside. It's a safety concern and also disturbing the peace and quiet! :knockout:

And it seems that the warm months are just a huge invitation for every knucklehead to start shooting them off without proper precautions. Not just Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. I mean how many injuries are there every year from fireworks-especially by those under 18?
http://www.nfpa.org/research/reports-and-statistics/fire-causes/fireworks

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are used in controlled environment for special occasions they are great, I love big public fireworks displays, we have fantastic ones here in Australia. Private use of them was banned here years ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results