shape
carat
color
clarity

Fireplace remodel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Over the past week, we''ve been trying to update our family room to blend with the others we''ve already completed. As the house was built in1968, we had the "wood" panelling and an angel stone fireplace.

The panelling has been covered with drywall and painted, but the fireplace (wood burning
30.gif
) really dates the room.
7.gif
Our son suggested painting out the stone, but on reseaching that, we were told that it will take a gazillion gallons as the stone is so porous.

The next idea that was put forth was taking off the angel stone completely and starting over with a wood surround instead. That idea was nixed too as being unsafe.

I really love the wood burning aspect, but hate the angel stone. Does anyone have a safe way to solve this problem?
33.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Someone??? Anyone??? Any and all ideas are welcome.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post a picture?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know what angel stone is. I do know there are some sealers for stone and slate - maybe you could seal it and then paint over it? Would love to see a picture - you might get some really good ideas from folks here.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Can you build a facade over it? I''m having flashbacks to that old Trading Spaces where the woman had the ugly brick fireplace and started sobbing when they built a beautiful wooden facade over the mantel.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know the cost, but you could check craig''s list or local antique dealers for a new mantle. I have seen some cheap ones and you would just have to get it installed. As for wood, my parent''s has about a foot of slate around the actual fire part and then wood trim around that and we have never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results