shape
carat
color
clarity

fire vs brilliance in different lighting conditions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drkewl

Rough_Rock
I just received my new 1.56 carat RB and was trying to view it in ''different'' lighting situations. In direct lighting i noticed how much brilliance AND fire there was. But in ''softer'' lighting conditions away from power halogen bulbs and the like, the fire seemed to almost disappear while the brilliance of the diamond was the main draw. Is this normal? I plan on trying a ''candlelight'' situation tonight and also plan on taking it in to some local stores to compare it to branded diamonds like the ''leo'' and ''hearts on fire''. But is this ''lack of fire'' in softer lighting just an individual characteristic that differs in every diamond or is there a mathematical reason for this?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2005 2:14:13 PM
Author:drkewl
I just received my new 1.56 carat RB and was trying to view it in ''different'' lighting situations. In direct lighting i noticed how much brilliance AND fire there was. But in ''softer'' lighting conditions away from power halogen bulbs and the like, the fire seemed to almost disappear while the brilliance of the diamond was the main draw. Is this normal? I plan on trying a ''candlelight'' situation tonight and also plan on taking it in to some local stores to compare it to branded diamonds like the ''leo'' and ''hearts on fire''. But is this ''lack of fire'' in softer lighting just an individual characteristic that differs in every diamond or is there a mathematical reason for this?
i find that i see the most sparkles like 5-6 fts away from the halogen lights,not directly under it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 2:14:13 PM
Author:drkewl
But is this ''lack of fire'' in softer lighting just an individual characteristic that differs in every diamond or is there a mathematical reason for this?
Both.
The lighting + personality of the diamond + the envirement = how it looks at any given time.
Pretty much in that order.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
indirect lighting most often seen as florescent light produces very little fire in any diamond.
Contrast and brilliance take over.
The best environment for fire is moving or multiple pinpoint direct lighting.
My favorite in under a tree with a breeze where the leaves are creating moving shadows followed by flashes of blinding light across the stone.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Drkewl,

I think what you are seeing is pretty typical for ideal-cut RB diamonds. Every different lighting situation causes them to look different. That''s why they are so magical and mesmerizing.

I think your beautiful diamond is just doing what beautiful diamonds do!

Lynn

drkewl

Rough_Rock
That sounds so cool... I will go and try that once it stops raining
1.gif

I just hope i don''t get so attached to this diamond i won''t want to give it up to my gf....
2.gif

''uh yea... i thought a 0.3 center stone would look great on you... but man check out this 1.5 carat diamond i have on display in front of my computer
11.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
One of my favorites is standing in a room with only one window... put your back to the window (light) and put the diamond out in front of you. Ahhhhhh - sheer perfection!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Lynn

(P.S. If you turn around and put the diamond between you and the light (window) - it takes on an entirely DIFFERENT look.)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Yes feel free to play with the diamond in different lighting situations for now drkewl, but remember whose finger it is supposed to go on!!! I think my diamonds look their best around that halogen track lighting.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 4:21:46 PM
Author: drkewl

''uh yea... i thought a 0.3 center stone would look great on you... but man check out this 1.5 carat diamond i have on display in front of my computer
11.gif

LMAO!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ended up buying a .15 h&a for my ring so Id have a diamond to play with too.
Why should she have all the fun hehehehehehe
something to think about :}

Joane

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 4:18:39 PM
Author: strmrdr

My favorite in under a tree with a breeze where the leaves are creating moving shadows followed by flashes of blinding light across the stone.

This is exactly what happened today while I was sitting on a bench under a tree, waiting at the bus stop. Mesmerizing!

drkewl

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 7:28:51 PM
Author: strmrdr
I ended up buying a .15 h&a for my ring so Id have a diamond to play with too.

Why should she have all the fun hehehehehehe

something to think about :}

Hmmmm I LOVE that idea. If i have any $$ in my engagement ring account after i''m done, maybe i''ll buy myself a spawwwkly ''toy'' instead of being a good boy and paying off some of my med school debt...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results