shape
carat
color
clarity

Finer Details

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
Listed below are the specs for the loose princess I''m about to purchase from DCD. The only bump in the road is that the diamond is not in house at DCD. However, an employee at DCD, who will remain un-named, said that my diamond, if in house, would more than likely be a signature series diamond. I want someone more qualified than myself to look at the diamond before I get it, and I prefer someone from DCD.

The employee I spoke with made it sound, well, if not impossible, a hassle for them to get the diamond and review it for me. Maybe I misunderstood him...hopefully.

I searched for the answer to my next question but did not find a definitive answer. Do GIA diamonds have laser inscribed serial numbers on the girdle that will match the certification papers?

I live in VA and didn''t find any independent appraisers in my area via the "Yellow Book." Just for piece of mind, I want DCD to view the diamond they are selling me, as well as an independent appraiser. Heck, I trust DCD enough that if they say the diamond is good, that would be enough for me. Sorry to ramble on and for more than likely questions that have been beaten with a stick.
21.gif

Stock Number: 4629326
Laboratory:GIA
Carat Weight
6.gif
Color:H
Clarity:VS2
Shape: Princess
Depth:72.3%
Table:72%
Polished
Symmetry:VG
Culet:N
Girdle:M-TK
Fluorescence:None
Measurements:5.31x5.30x3.84

Chuck

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
In the toolbar at the top, click on Resources, then click on Appraisers. There are 3 in VA. Martin Fuller has been mentioned on the Forum before. He is very well respected. You can arrange to have DCD ship the diamond directly to an approved appraiser before you pay. Then you can have a look, and the appraiser''s professional opinion prior to purchase.
2.gif

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
He is in McLean, VA, right? I''ve seen his name somewhere on here before. That''s what I''ll do then. When I get all the financial kinks worked out I''ll have the diamond sent to Martin Fuller.

I know this is question more than likely for DCD, but will my 10-day money back guarantee start when I receive the diamond, or when Martin receives it? I would think it would start when I receive it.

Also, another question I should probably email Martin, but what are the extra costs involved, if any, to having the diamond sent to him?

-Charles-

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is easy if they wont bring it in and review it and get you the info you need to buy it then move on and look elsewhere.
If they say can tell from a GIA cert that any princess diamond is a good one then well honestly they are full of BS.
And the BS doesnt stand for the b-scope.

My advice find a diffferent vendor because its odvious that there is a communication problem here at best and a bunch of BS at worst.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
further any of the PS vendors could pull that diamond in for review and will more than likely price match DCD.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about the 10 day period. I think it starts when YOU receive the diamond for inspection. But not sure about that. You''d better ask DCD to be sure.

There shouldn''t be any additional charges for shipping to an appraiser versus shipping to you due to DCD. You might have to pay the appraiser to ship the diamond on to you if you need that service. If you are going to go to the appraiser''s office and view the diamond in person, you won''t even have that fee if you decide to take the diamond home with you.

I should back up a bit and ask if you have a bit more info. The specs you posted look good so far. Possibly a Cut Class 1B based on the info you provided according to the Princess cut charts. Do you have a crown height and maybe a Sarin graph of the girdle available? Crown height will better help you pin down the actual Cut Class rating. The Sarin graph of the girdle will show any potentially thin spots you might want to avoid, or gross girdle irregularities like wildly fluctating thickness in a short space. I know it''s VS2, but does the Cert plot show any feathers that might break the surface of the diamond or girdle? You want as much info as possible before you call the diamond in and pay an appraiser''s fee.

Then, if you decide to proceed, you need to contact both the appraiser and DCD. Get everyone on the same page and have the arrangements made in advance. You may need to schedule time with the appraiser, especially if you plan to go and view the diamond in person. It may take a day or so for DCD to get the diamond from the broker to the appraiser you choose. Just some scheduling things you might want to keep in mind.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 12:10:24 AM
Author: strmrdr
further any of the PS vendors could pull that diamond in for review and will more than likely price match DCD.
I just checked pricing on that diamond. Vendors are asking from $2869 (DCD) to nearly $3200.

As Strm mentioned, some of the Vendors will price match and others won''t. White Flash and Nice Ice, for example, won''t price match because they don''t "drop ship". If you contacted them about this diamond, WF or NI would bring the diamond into their offices and professionally evaluate the diamond before shipping to you. Good Old Gold works both ways. They will either "drop ship" at one price, or bring the diamond in for evaluation for an additional fee.

It''s really up to you and what suits your personal level of comfort.
1.gif

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
pqcollectibles: "Do you have a crown height and maybe a Sarin graph of the girdle available? Crown height will better help you pin down the actual Cut Class rating."

Crown height is the only spec I do not have, and if I did have this spec I would probably order the diamond worry-free. This stone is possibly a 1A bearing a 10.5% crown height. I figure at the least it''s a 1B.

I''m going to call DCD today, hopefully I will get to talk to someone different. From their reputation I''m sure they will be able to pull this diamond in, inspect it, and pass it on to me with confidence.

About my initial post, anyone know for sure if all, or at least current GIA certs have the serial number on the girdle?

This website has been so helpful. I really appreciate all the responses and help from all who have posted. You guys make me feel a little better about online purchases with the knowledge I''ve gained from all this useful insight.
2.gif

Chuck

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Talk to Jim Schultz, the owner at DCD. He will normally bring a stone in for his review if you ask him to, and can sometimes get more info like a sarin from the manufacturer even before that.

I disagree with Storm on this. I don''t believe the vendor has to see the stone to make it a good stone. It is a helpful service to you, and one that most do, but there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. You need someone more knowledgable in viewing stones than you to review it before purchase, but IMO that can be an independent appraiser. Just make sure you tell the apprasier that you want a pre-purchase evaluation and opinion. Some are more comfortable giving you that than others.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about current practices for Jim bringing in the diamond or not...and this note is mostly a comment on the absense of good local appraiser resources.

For locals, DCD mentions at his website the suggestion of using Martin Fuller in McLean. Now, if memory serves, fairly recent discussion suggests specific knowledge of detailed sarin data may not help significantly in evaluating Princess cuts specifically...so Martin Fuller's office may be ideal for this particular need. However, if sarin type of evaluative data is desired, I understand that neither Mr. Fuller's office, nor any local appraiser in the DC area, has invested in these apparatus. Jim's office has OGI, and may be among the most helpful local resources for this kind of data. Though driving to Philly would seem to be another somewhat managable idea, kevinraja wrote of Dave Atlas' service being down recently, so a call in advance there might help as well.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 10:33:44 AM
Author: lop
Talk to Jim Schultz, the owner at DCD. He will normally bring a stone in for his review if you ask him to, and can sometimes get more info like a sarin from the manufacturer even before that.

I disagree with Storm on this. I don''t believe the vendor has to see the stone to make it a good stone. It is a helpful service to you, and one that most do, but there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. You need someone more knowledgable in viewing stones than you to review it before purchase, but IMO that can be an independent appraiser. Just make sure you tell the apprasier that you want a pre-purchase evaluation and opinion. Some are more comfortable giving you that than others.
Lop makes a good point. The Vendors all have established relationships with Brokers. You''ve called and inquired about the diamond. More than likely, DCD has called and chatted with the Broker. DCD got all the info available and the Broker''s eyeball opinion of the diamond. If the rep at DCD has told you it''s a good stone, more than likely it is. The diamond biz runs on a person''s word. If the Broker has mislead DCD, word will spread quickly in the diamond world and the Broker''s business will suffer.

Ditto''s to Lop''s comment about a quicky once over, pre-purchase evaluation by an appraiser or the folks at DCD. Pros look at diamonds every day. They can tell a lot in a quick once over and give you a good idea if the diamond is worthy of further evaluation.

From the specs you posted, unless something is totally wrong, I''d suspect that the crown height will follow suit and the girdle will be just fine. Since numbers are only a part of the story with Prins, the rest, as they say, lies in the eyes of the beholder. You have potentially picked a very nice candidate!
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to call Whiteflash and NiceIce and ask how much they want for the stone. I know Whiteflash gives a discount if you mention Pricescope. I don''t know whether other vendors do. They may.
I bought my ring from Whiteflash. They sent for the stone and Brian, the cutter, discussed it with me at length.
I was reluctant to buy an SI stone in a large size but he assured me that it was eye clean and was a beautiful stone.
I was very pleased with the service and the value at Whiteflash. If there is not much difference in cost, I would buy the stone through a vendor who does not drop ship, especially since it is a princess cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results