shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally some yellow in my future - the Jeff White saga!!!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Finally some yellow in my future - the Jeff White saga!!

Oh no Acinom! I'm hoping that they are just horrible photos. I know that it would be annoying to spend time and money shipping but would it be worthwhile shipping it (pre-set) for you to evaluate yourself before making a decision? If there is enough time that is - I'm sure Jeff would understand!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

From my experience the lighting that jeweler uses is weird.

However,with that said, you've had a handful of rings made by him this same way, in your experience did he describe the stones accurately? Did the pictures reflect the end result accurately?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

minousbijoux|1433542588|3885760 said:
I saw your post, Gene, I was just doubting it had occurred here. Perhaps the yellow zircons that have crossed my path have already faded but your experience has not been my, albeit limited, experience fwiw.

I would think the yellow zircons you have experience with were not heated just a day before you saw them. The drifting back happens in the first week or so, after that point the color is stable. I had suggested that the buyer wait a week before having the stone shipped off.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I understand how difficult it is to decide on a yellow stone based on descriptions or pictures. I agree videos help a lot.

I have a few inexpensive yellow stones that I never set because they seem to look better in a gem jar than on my hand.

But in my desire to add yellow to my jewelry wardrobe, I recently went on a yellow stone hunt for a ring I was having made. The ring designer, a gem vendor committed to the project and others all tried to help with my search. I had some specific requirements though (bright yellow, well saturated, 6mm round and affordable). I saw many very nice stones but not what I had in mid -wrong modifier or weren't saturated enough or too dark in tone and/or just didn't go well with my skin/side stones I was using. You get the idea. To be fair, I don't wear a lot of yellows well so my eye is probably trained a certain way (you know how you lean towards colors that look good on you?).

I have given up on my search for "the" yellow stone so am living through threads like this. So don't give up! I have seen many beautiful yellow stones/rings here and will probably want one just like yours when you are done.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much for sharing your reflections and advice. I really apreciate this Gene, Niel, Ricezo, Minousbijoux, Arcadian, Chrono, & Arkieb Thank you for sharing your experience lilmosun. I did not realise yellow is such a 'complex' colour but now I know.

Upon my request the jeweller desribed the stones again in his own words. He desribed it as incredibly sparkly and well cut (more sparkly than most of the many zircons he has seen and set) and as a champagne colour. He says his photo's to be more accurate compared to the vendor pic and that he does not see the bright colouring in real life. He had some great ideas about setting it in a two-toned ring, but I am afraid the ring would still be unloved and unworn as the colour (according to the pics) will not be a great match with my skintone. At all..

To be absolutely sure I asked the jeweller to snap more pics. This time they were taken outside. And they seem to look even worse! Even taken into consideration the effect of good vs bad photography and the influence of light I do not recognize the bright yellow. The photo's of this jeweller have been pretty accurate till sofar and his descriptions spot on (my red/orange spess looked a bit darker in his pics but his description turned out to be spot on!!

Jeff offered me immediately to return the stone yesterday as the colour is not as specified and shown (he thinks the colour shift must have happened) but I wanted to be absolutely sure. I now am.

I will ask Jeff to cut a different stone for me (not a yellow zircon) and I must stress the fact that his is a great, professional and trustworthy guy who I trust 200%. His customer service is great and I am so glad by the way he reacted.
I feel bad as the stone was cut especially for me and now I feel I have put the risk entirely on the cutter's side. Yesterday I therefore considered to keep it after all. But when I saw the new photo's I am sure it would stay unloved and unworn. I hope something else can be done (reheating) or that it will find a buyer who appreciates this colour as well as the perfect cut and amazing sparkle.

Was hoping for a different outcome, but I learned a lot from the process and from you all and because of Jeff's service it has still been a good experience.

_30900.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

More photo's, taken outside:

_30901.jpg

_30903.jpg

_30904.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

conclusions and learnings
- I can advice everyone looking for a yellow zircon to read through Gene's post in Yssie's thread.
- In the ideal world, review the stone with your own eyes before setting.
- If that is not possible, work with a reliable jeweller who can take pictures from you or even a video in several lighting conditions.
- Always work with a professional and reliable cutter/vendor. You will notice the difference especially when unexpected things happen! Even more so when you are an overseas customer.
- Learn about stone and colour characteristics in the learning sections on this forum.
- Seek advice from experienced PSers and reliable vendors.

Thank you all!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sorry the yellow didn't work out other than bright yellow sapphires and diamonds yellow is a difficult colour to shop for!!! Hopefully there will be some purple on your horizon instead :naughty:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I am sorry too with the yellow zircon colour drift. Hopefully your next selection will make up for it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This has been a very educational and interesting thread to follow. I didn't know that yellow zircon could shift like that. I'm sorry it didn't work out but glad to hear Jeff will cut you another gem in its place. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arkieb, Lovinggems & Mochiko: thank you for your support.
Like Mochiko, I had never heard about this colour shift phenomenom. Only in the last 2 weeks or so, Gene posted about colour shifting in Yssie's yellow thread. I mentioned this to Jeff as well, and therefore - just to be sure - we waited a couple of days before it was sent to the jeweller. Apperently we did not wait long enough: the colour shifting happens in the first week (or not) and after that the colour is supposed to be stable.

The stone Jeff can hopefully cut for me was actually a ban breaking activity on top of the pre-ban project list :twisted: So, I had already contacted Jeff about the other stone when this happened with the yellow.

I truly hope this will not happen with Yssie's zircon (in case she decides to not keep it unheated and leave it amber coloured). But she said she will wait a full week, which I should have done in the first place.

So, no chance for me to get a gorgeous yellow for a great price. Will have to search for fabulous yellow sapphires instead.
I am looking forward to see how Jeff will cut a great stone for me in a different colour. I hope he has rough in the size range I am looking for.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Ooh purple... I'm very intrigued and looking forward to seeing what Jeff cuts for you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1433589788|3885913 said:
Arkieb, Lovinggems & Mochiko: thank you for your support.
Like Mochiko, I had never heard about this colour shift phenomenom. Only in the last 2 weeks or so, Gene posted about colour shifting in Yssie's yellow thread. I mentioned this to Jeff as well, and therefore - just to be sure - we waited a couple of days before it was sent to the jeweller. Apperently we did not wait long enough: the colour shifting happens in the first week (or not) and after that the colour is supposed to be stable.

The stone Jeff can hopefully cut for me was actually a ban breaking activity on top of the pre-ban project list :twisted: So, I had already contacted Jeff about the other stone when this happened with the yellow.

I truly hope this will not happen with Yssie's zircon (in case she decides to not keep it unheated and leave it amber coloured). But she said she will wait a full week, which I should have done in the first place.

So, no chance for me to get a gorgeous yellow for a great price. Will have to search for fabulous yellow sapphires instead.
I am looking forward to see how Jeff will cut a great stone for me in a different colour. I hope he has rough in the size range I am looking for.

I apologize that I'm late to this thread, and didn't read all the pages, but can you consider a chrysoberyl, or do you not like the touch of green that many of them have? Some chrysoberyls are a more golden color too, but in those cases, you have to be more leary of too much brown if that's not your thing (like the zircon).

The thing with golden yellows is that they often have a lot of brown in them, no matter the species. A pure yellow stone is like finding a needle in a haystack, as that color is so influenced by either green or orange (and orange is often brown) on the spectrum.

The brightest yellows I have ever seen in are either FCD's or chysoberyls. I have rarely seen a bright yellow sapphire that wasn't highly treated, but maybe they exist, but are as rare as hen's teeth.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no, Acinom, I'm just catching up on PS after a couple of crazy days at work and I'm so sorry to read this update - after four pages and so many months of excitement, too :(sad

The shift from Jeff's photo to your jeweller's pictures is astounding - it looks like a completely different stone. It is so unexpected, too; SapphireStyle specifically pointed out in my thread that her zircon hadn't faded at all, and I believe you mentioned yours was from the same parcel? Mine will be, too - I would not have guessed that specimens from the same parcel could behave so differently!

I must say, though, that I'm so glad to hear that Jeff has been so accommodating through this process! Especially since you're an overseas buyer, which removes any realistic possibility of seeing the stone yourself. I'm also very glad that you have a reputable jeweller whose opinions you trust ::) I completely agree that if you don't think the new colour is for you, then starting in a new direction is the best option. These stones deserved to be loved!

I wonder if your stone would be a candidate for reheating as Gene mentioned?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom - per Gene's post on the prior page, "Often reheating will dramatically improve it, and it will not drift back, but I would always give it a week or so."

While I endorse your decision to return the Zircon to Jeff White, perhaps in your dialog with him, you could ask if he intends on reheating it in an attempt to recapture that bright yellow and, if so, that he please allow you first dibs on the reheated stone should it turn out bright yellow and holds after a week or so?

Of course, Jeff may decide to sell the stone in its champagne iteration rather than attempt another heat process, but since the original yellow was just what you were looking for, it may be worthwhile to put your setting project on a temporary hold if Jeff does intend another reheat procedure.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you! :(sad I can understand how you'd be feeling a bit disappointed. But I agree that it's a wise move to not buy a stone you aren't in love with. Jeff is being great about it, which really helps. And I'm confident that you will eventually find a yellow stone you love!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arkieb: As you know I took the Beryl/Heliodor route before, but the outcome was disappointing to say the least. Also, I have the feeling that a lot of yellow beryls have a champagne appearance? I do not have the energy to explore other yellows at all. Yssie & Marymm mentioned the possibility of reheating. I just shot a follow-up mail to Jeff and will hopefully receive an answer after the weekend.

Ricezo: thank you for sharing my excitement! Will keep you updated on the purple. And... if the suggestion of Yssie and Marymm works, I might have two JW stones!

TL: thank you for chiming in and sharing your reflections. I have received great suggestions for chrysoberyls here on PS. It is true that I do not like the green modifier in them in combination with my skintype. I do not mind a moody/brownish colouring in some lighting but not all the time. I had no idea that finding a yellow stone was so complex. It feels like finding an ideal ruby.

Yssie: apparantly this is not likely to happen. As I mentioned in your thread: Jeff did not experience this before with this particular material. Thank you for your and Marymm's suggestion regarding the reheating! So curious to hear what Jeff says. But I try to not get my hopes to high. So glad that Gene made the post in your thread. Now it was easier to recognize what must have happened.

Marymm: thank you for your suggestion. I was so taken aback that I did not even think about this possibility and Jeff did not suggest it either. Will keep you updated on what he says.

Junebug: thank you for your kind words! When I looked at the jeweller's pics, it felt like looking at a different stone. From now on I know that a finding a yellow stone is not an easy route.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom: I might have an idea for you but I wouldn't post it here. If you are still ruminating on your yellow, I can put up a DB listing (I'd say LT but its so darn fickle!) and you can contact me through that. Just let me know if you want me to - no pressure! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1433611344|3885995 said:
Acinom: I might have an idea for you but I wouldn't post it here. If you are still ruminating on your yellow, I can put up a DB listing (I'd say LT but its so darn fickle!) and you can contact me through that. Just let me know if you want me to - no pressure! :))

Aww Minousbijoux! This is so super friendly of you!!! Thank you so much.
That said however, if this stone cannot be reheated, I will call it quits in terms of the yellow quest for a while. Thanks again :wavey:
Mm, I must admit I am super curious now :lol:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Some times the zircons are heated over an alcohol lamp, and the whole process takes about 5 minutes. Doing this has the advantage that you can watch the color change. These honey burnt color zircons from Tanzania with this type of heating start going darker initially, turning a deep burt orange color, and the right when they start to lighten and go yellow, you remove them from the heat. Over the next minute or two, they will continue turning into a nice yellow color. I find while this type of heating is very quick to do, and you can decide when to stop, they are more prone to drifting back compared to oven heating, where the process takes many hours, and stone is held for at least one hour at the final temperature. The thing with the oven heating is finding the right temperature. I varies from mine locations, but usually I buy these zircons in parcels, and all the stones in the parcel will heat at the same temperature. With oven heating you start out low, and work your way up, and it can take several days to find the right temperature, but the stones do seem to drift less with this type of heating. After a week or two, the color is stable and won't drift any more.

As a side note, I have observed almost no color drifting with red zircons, it seems to be a trait of the yellow stones.

For other possible yellow stones, there are also yellow scapolite that can be very nice yellow. Again, the average stone is more of a golden yellow, but there are some exceptional yellows to be had.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for this explanation Gene. Before this I did not realise that heating was so complex. I thought it was a rather exact science, assuming the colouring happens at a certain temperature. Apparantly this is not the case at all.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was not familiar with the scapolite: just googled it and it looks really nice.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shame that the yellow zircon did not live up to expectations, better luck with the next yellow CS hunt!

DK :))

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock

Acinom, I am so sorry your zircon did not end up being what you wanted. I feel badly that I encouraged you so much! I really don't know why mine is still such a sparkly yellow. I never saw the rough for my stone and I wonder if it was different? In any event, I am glad Jeff is handling it so well for you. I wish you luck in your hunt for a new yellow stone. I wish I knew more about coloured stones and could help you more!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168 said:
Shame that the yellow zircon did not live up to expectations, better luck with the next yellow CS hunt!

DK :))
DK: thank you for your support!

SapphireStyle said:
Acinom, I am so sorry your zircon did not end up being what you wanted. I feel badly that I encouraged you so much! I really don't know why mine is still such a sparkly yellow. I never saw the rough for my stone and I wonder if it was different? In any event, I am glad Jeff is handling it so well for you. I wish you luck in your hunt for a new yellow stone. I wish I knew more about coloured stones and could help you more!
SapphireStyle: no worries at all! I do not regret the trying at all. I do know I surely would have regretted not trying. Your stone is my dreamstone and I know it also could have gone well.
The stones were from the same batch, but apparantly this can happen... Thanks again for your inspiration and support :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YELLOW UPDATE

Unfortunately the zircon is not a good contender for reheating as the colour is already quite light. Reheating it would not have the desired effect, so the stone will be sold with the current campagne colour.

Still talking with Jeff about 'something different'. :twisted:

And... I found my yellow stone! Will post about it in my Acinom's Colours thread.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry that your yellow zircon didn't work out as desired Acinom. It must be so tricky buying overseas without the option to preview in person before setting!

It was very interesting to learn about the heating process with zircons and all the variables. I swear the lapidaries who do this work must have nerves of steel.

I'm off to your other thread to see some yellow...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results