shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally got to try my dream setting...but is it too large?

emmarose329

Rough_Rock
Re: Finally got to try my dream setting...but is it too larg

diamondseeker2006|1396372720|3645131 said:
Have you considered an AVC to go in the setting? That last ring Niel posted looks like it has an old cut, and I think that is so pretty in that setting!

I would kill for an AVC in that setting! However, it's just not in the budget right now. Maybe as an upgrade later on!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emmarose329|1396373018|3645135 said:
diamondseeker2006|1396372720|3645131 said:
Have you considered an AVC to go in the setting? That last ring Niel posted looks like it has an old cut, and I think that is so pretty in that setting!

I would kill for an AVC in that setting! However, it's just not in the budget right now. Maybe as an upgrade later on!
Would you consider a smaller one to get an account? Your fingers are so small you could give up a little CTW and get away with it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

emmarose329|1396362418|3645003 said:
diamondseeker2006|1396360200|3644962 said:
I just wanted to add that I would definitely wear a straight band with it. Adding a band made to fit the e-ring will only make it look bulky, in my opinion. Plus, it makes the band totally unwearable with another band when you don't want to wear the e-ring. I love exactly what you have on in your picture, except in the right ring size!

EXACTLY what I was thinking! I'm really not a fan of contoured bands, and the one that comes with this ring is especially bad.

Yes, too much going on there. That's why I said plain, thinking a thin, plain gold, contoured to hug the ering, barely-there band that's unobtrusive.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

TC1987|1396379269|3645226 said:
emmarose329|1396362418|3645003 said:
diamondseeker2006|1396360200|3644962 said:
I just wanted to add that I would definitely wear a straight band with it. Adding a band made to fit the e-ring will only make it look bulky, in my opinion. Plus, it makes the band totally unwearable with another band when you don't want to wear the e-ring. I love exactly what you have on in your picture, except in the right ring size!

EXACTLY what I was thinking! I'm really not a fan of contoured bands, and the one that comes with this ring is especially bad.

Yes, too much going on there. That's why I said plain, thinking a thin, plain gold, contoured to hug the ering, barely-there band that's unobtrusive.

I'll likely have a plain band for when I don't want to wear the blingy band, but I just adore the straight band I tried on! It'll look a little less bulky with the smaller setting and smaller stone in the correct size (I hope!!).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emmarose329|1396379767|3645234 said:
I'll likely have a plain band for when I don't want to wear the blingy band, but I just adore the straight band I tried on! It'll look a little less bulky with the smaller setting and smaller stone in the correct size (I hope!!).

After seeing the picture Maisie posted, I can see why you fell in love with this setting! It sounds like you've got a good plan here - please post pictures when you get your ring!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it, but then I love a good, chunky setting!! :love:

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

VRBeauty|1396382447|3645271 said:
emmarose329|1396379767|3645234 said:

After seeing the picture Maisie posted, I can see why you fell in love with this setting! It sounds like you've got a good plan here - please post pictures when you get your ring!

Thanks! I definitely will!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Laila619|1396407438|3645556 said:
I love it, but then I love a good, chunky setting!! :love:

I love it too, but I just don't want it to look ridiculous on my little fingers! I think going with the slightly smaller version of the setting is going to be our best bet.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a little late to this party, but...

WOW! emmarose, that's a gorgeous setting and looks very substantial on your little fingers -- that's a good thing!! :)) I think it will look awesome once it's sized to fit your finger.

Like you I love the straight band. I think the contrast really showcases the unique shape of the ering, and I also love a gap in between the two rings.

I can't wait to see the finished ring! So exciting! :appl:

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade

CharmyPoo|1396357921|3644944 said:
It will look a lot better once it is sized properly. I have that problem all the time when trying on rings.

Oh no! My fingers are too small and my diamonds are too big! :naughty:

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

k_darling|1396564001|3646874 said:
It will look a lot better once it is sized properly. I have that problem all the time when trying on rings.

LOL :D! This gave me a chuckle. Both Charmy & Emma are super lucky ladies indeed :bigsmile: !

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

K_darling .... such a diss but point totally taken.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

msop04|1396556768|3646811 said:
I'm a little late to this party, but...

WOW! emmarose, that's a gorgeous setting and looks very substantial on your little fingers -- that's a good thing!! :)) I think it will look awesome once it's sized to fit your finger.

Like you I love the straight band. I think the contrast really showcases the unique shape of the ering, and I also love a gap in between the two rings.

I can't wait to see the finished ring! So exciting! :appl:

Thanks so much! The straight band with the setting is one of my favorite parts of the set, my boyfriend is going to have a hard time not letting me wear the band right away!! The gap just looks so antique and gorgeous.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Hey, it's about proportion! I'd rather have a ring that looks perfect with a smaller stone than something that totally overwhelms my finger and looks too ostentatious. If I were a solitaire girl, I'd be all over the 2+ carat stones, but with this setting, less is definitely more.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Roxy|1396573269|3646982 said:

LOL :D! This gave me a chuckle. Both Charmy & Emma are super lucky ladies indeed :bigsmile: !

I agree!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

CharmyPoo|1396581328|3647080 said:

It's definitely a first world problem! I'm definitely on the lower end range of this board, however, most of the rings on here cost more than my car! I chose to ignore the diss, as this is actually an issue for me. I'm more about proportion than size.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What is the price range of this ring?

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

hathalove|1396622765|3647279 said:
What is the price range of this ring?

The one I tried is listed on the Gabriel & Co website for $1850, but the retailer was selling it for $2150. The model that we're purchasing is $1765. I think it's VERY reasonable for the quality, especially compared to brands like Tacori and Veraggio.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

My concern would not be the overall size (I happen to prefer "substantial" settings), but how the ring would fit at the sides. As long as the correct size "hugs" your finger (meaning that the side stones follow the curve of your finger and wrap around) as opposed to sticking out on the sides and making the ring look & feel uncomfortable. It's a pretty ring.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

Momhappy has a great point and I think going w/ the "smaller" version is going to look like perfection on you Emma!! Not only will the proportions look wonderful, but the comfort of the ring will mean that you'll really enjoy wearing it!

BTW, I saw your other thread where your best friend said this looks like a "class ring" and I totally disagree. I think the finished product is going to look gorgeous! :wavey:

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

momhappy|1396629328|3647345 said:
My concern would not be the overall size (I happen to prefer "substantial" settings), but how the ring would fit at the sides. As long as the correct size "hugs" your finger (meaning that the side stones follow the curve of your finger and wrap around) as opposed to sticking out on the sides and making the ring look & feel uncomfortable. It's a pretty ring.

I agree! I definitely took the physical size of the ring into consideration but I think that an overall daintier look is what I'm going for. The other setting is just slightly smaller and I think I'll be much happier with it in the long run. Plus it fits the stone better- the setting I tried on fits a 6.5mm stone, mine is only around 5.5mm.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Roxy|1396644139|3647480 said:
Momhappy has a great point and I think going w/ the "smaller" version is going to look like perfection on you Emma!! Not only will the proportions look wonderful, but the comfort of the ring will mean that you'll really enjoy wearing it!

BTW, I saw your other thread where your best friend said this looks like a "class ring" and I totally disagree. I think the finished product is going to look gorgeous! :wavey:

I'm hoping the same! And I also disagree about it looking like a class ring, I thought that was kind of a rude thing to say about someone's engagement ring. She also saw the photo and video I took at the jeweler and said it was "too flashy". I love it, but I wonder about the reactions I'm going to get, especially being young. I guarantee you my mother will say something nasty but she hates wearing jewelry in general and has called similar settings "ugly and gaudy".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emma, ignore any negative comments. People who would do that are simply jealous. People who are happy for you are going to tell you it is beautiful! And it IS a very beautiful ring! Come here and we'll tell you how beautiful it is if you need reassurance! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ignore the comments. Everyone has an opinion and most of them are just a waste of time.

My own stepfather disparaged my diamond. He didn't really mean to. But he did. And when I got my plain shank halo people told me it looked strange and unfinished because the shank had no pave. My mother offered to pay to have the ring "finished correctly" if you can believe it. :lol: I was like... thanks. But it's finished, this is what I ordered and wanted. They didn't believe me.

Just let it roll off your back. If YOU love it, that's what you need to keep in mind.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emmarose329|1396622715|3647278 said:
CharmyPoo|1396581328|3647080 said:

It's definitely a first world problem! I'm definitely on the lower end range of this board, however, most of the rings on here cost more than my car! I chose to ignore the diss, as this is actually an issue for me. I'm more about proportion than size.

I'm there with you. I see rings here worth more than my house!

I think maybe it wasnt so much of a diss as it was the green eyed monster. :Up_to_something: I know i get so jealous of you ladies with your slender lovely fingers. ::) in a good way of course.

I stopped in and looked at some Gabriel and Co settings the other day and i was honestly VERY surprised at the quality. So delicate.

And i imagine the ring will look exactly like your avatar. Size and all

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1396658114|3647646 said:
Ignore the comments. Everyone has an opinion and most of them are just a waste of time.

My own stepfather disparaged my diamond. He didn't really mean to. But he did. And when I got my plain shank halo people told me it looked strange and unfinished because the shank had no pave. My mother offered to pay to have the ring "finished correctly" if you can believe it. :lol: I was like... thanks. But it's finished, this is what I ordered and wanted. They didn't believe me.

Just let it roll off your back. If YOU love it, that's what you need to keep in mind.

My sister saw my 5 stone ring and said "oh yeah, it does look small" :oops:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Emma .. don't worry, the diss is directed at me.

I am with you that it is more about proportions and my comment was just that. It is hard to see how a ring looks on you because it is often sized too big and doesn't fit your finger properly.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Thank you, ladies!!

I try very much not to let the nasty comments get to me, but it's hard sometimes, especially when it's your own family.
I'm certainly expecting some interesting responses, especially because it's NOTHING like what anything else in either family has (mostly very small solitaires with the occasionally eternity band).

@Gypsy, how rude! There's a reason there are SO many different styles of jewelry, everyone has different tastes.

@Niel, I'm sure your 5 stone is LOVELY! Sisters are so mean sometimes. My SILs are not always kind, but I'm sure they'll love the ring.
I do love the Gabriel quality, I was so shocked at the price point once I saw the settings in person! The milgrain and Victorian detailing was everything I was looking for, it's very "me".

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

CharmyPoo|1396660481|3647670 said:
Emma .. don't worry, the diss is directed at me.

I am with you that it is more about proportions and my comment was just that. It is hard to see how a ring looks on you because it is often sized too big and doesn't fit your finger properly.

I agree! It's frustrating that NOTHING is in a size 4, so I can't even see what would look good on my finger! I originally thought I was a 4.25, and then the jeweler pulled out the sizing ring and said I was between a 3.75 and a 4. Oh well, as my future stepmother-in-law says, lucky for my boyfriend that I have small fingers!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

emmarose329|1396622540|3647276 said:

Hey, it's about proportion! I'd rather have a ring that looks perfect with a smaller stone than something that totally overwhelms my finger and looks too ostentatious. If I were a solitaire girl, I'd be all over the 2+ carat stones, but with this setting, less is definitely more.
+1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results