shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! Antique, Burmese ruby pendant!!!

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
I had been looking for a Burmese cabochon ruby pendant in a very specific design for years and finally found it. Here's the story for those interested.

My mother's grandmother (who I knew very well) used to wear this fantastic burmese ruby pendant necklace in a traditional Indian design that passed from her to her eldest daughter-in-law to her daughter-in-law. As lovely as my great grandmother was, she left nothing in her will to her daughters who actually took care of her till her last breath. In any case, my mom always had a liking for her grandmother's pendant necklace which is called addigai/attigai.

For years, I have had this plan to buy something substantial for my mother every two years and it didn't come to fruition till about 2 years ago. When I walked into a jewelry store in 2021 looking for this style of pendant, I was told that the artisans who handmade this were no more and this could only be bought vintage/antique. So, I approached a jewelry antiques sourcer and sent him pictures and forgot about it. 2 years in, he sends me an email saying he found something I am looking for and sends me pictures. Here're the pictures he sent me. I was thrilled and at the same time nervous since I wasn't sure if it would be in my budget and if it would look good in person. Luckily, I was in the country and I told him I could come see it right away. First look at the piece and I loved it. It was missing the danglers at the bottom (usually pearls/gold balls) but those could be added. This was timed at least 100 years old based on the handiwork and the cut and style of the rubies and the metal used. The price seemed fair (and within my budget, phewwww...) and I asked them to affix pearls to the pendant instead of the gold balls my great grandmother had.

Attaching pics of the pendant without the pearls first.. (hoping you guys like it so I am encouraged to share the final pics). It looks way more pink in the pic here than it is in person by the way.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 21.04.42_0f7f6ff1.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 21.04.42_0f7f6ff1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 148

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
Here's the pics after the pearls were affixed.
I should pick it up in a week (I am travelling for a bit and looking to buy some emeralds on the trip (if I get a chance). So hopefully be back with some new pics of emeralds. :)

Would love your thoughts on this necklace.
I know it's very specific to the Indian subcontinent but how would you all style it?

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 17.42.41_63aeb520.jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the pics after the pearls were affixed.
I should pick it up in a week (I am travelling for a bit and looking to buy some emeralds on the trip (if I get a chance). So hopefully be back with some new pics of emeralds. :)

Would love your thoughts on this necklace.
I know it's very specific to the Indian subcontinent but how would you all style it?

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 17.42.41_63aeb520.jpg

I would put it on something like a refined (lightweight) baht style chain.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a baht style chain. I would also be tempted to wear it shorter rather than longer, so that it’s presence can be fully sat against my skin & not down over the top of clothing.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so beautiful.

I would love to hear what the vendor told you about it. Did he find it in India? I’m curious where it was made and when. How did your great grandmother encounter South Indian jewelry?

Did the vendor tell you anything about what region the rubies are from (eg are they Myanmar Mogok Mine? Did the vendor say they are heated or natural?

Is it 18k gold? Any technical details about the vendor told you would be really interesting. I’m very happy you have been able to find this gorgeous pendant!

Last edited:

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
This is so beautiful.

I would love to hear what the vendor told you about it. Did he find it in India? I’m curious where it was made and when. How did your great grandmother encounter South Indian jewelry?

Did the vendor tell you anything about what region the rubies are from (eg are they Myanmar Mogok Mine? Did the vendor say they are heated or natural?

Is it 18k gold? Any technical details about the vendor told you would be really interesting. I’m very happy you have been able to find this gorgeous pendant!

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Here's what the vedor told me - this is from Tamil Nadu - a state in Southern India where this style of pendant was extremely popular. It is anywhere between 15k-17k gold going by the age of the pendant. Speaking of age, it is around 100 years old. The rubies are Burmese - with some amount of heat treatment. There's no other treatment according to him but he also said there's no way to tell with certainty the exact amount of treatment - it would have to be taken out of the setting which defeats the purpose of buying a vintage piece. He also said that the artisans who make this style of jewelry are no more and that if I brought back this pendant in even a couple of months, he would buy it at the price I paid for it.

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
im so looking forward to your mum's reaction

Thnk you so much.. I am excited about her reaction too. By the way, I told her about it today and showed her the same pics. She teared up and said that her grandmom had loaned her the necklace for her wedding. And that she would be so happy to see this piece and wear it. As is her nature, she immediately spoke about the expense and that I shouldn't have spent so much on her. But within a couple of minutes, she was excitedly planning what kind of a chain she would purchase to wear this pendant. It's been a mix of emotions for sure. And I am so glad to have been a part of this journey.

Also, thank you for asking me this question. This gift was emotional both for her and me.

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
S, I went to pick up the pendant and noticed that three of the pearls they attached are kind of 'dull' looking. They kind of look like the nacre is wearing off or at least the sheen on the pearl isn't uniform. They confirmed that they are fresh water pearls but they were def not well chosen. I have asked them to replace the 3 pearls - 2 more days of wait. Sighhhh

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
This is absolutely unbelievably beautiful. Do you mind sharing the antique dealer name? It would look amazing with a white/cream silk summer dress.

It's an old jewelry store in Bangalore. It's called Navratan jewellers and they have a section for antique and vintage jewelry pieces. They primarily focus on designs where the artisans are no more because they get the best value on those items.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I love the story behind this even more than I love the pendant, which is absolutely beautiful! I think it looks even more lovely with the addition of the pearls and I hope it's fixed to your liking. I'm sure your mom will love it!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an old jewelry store in Bangalore. It's called Navratan jewellers and they have a section for antique and vintage jewelry pieces. They primarily focus on designs where the artisans are no more because they get the best value on those items.

I have been there! I lived in Bangalore as a baby. It is beautiful and I am so glad your mom loves it! I have a similar piece.

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
I have been there! I lived in Bangalore as a baby. It is beautiful and I am so glad your mom loves it! I have a similar piece.

That's great to hear. Do you have pics of your pendant that you can share with us?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results