shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiance''s platinum band bent???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
I am a bit concerned and was wondering if anyone may be able to shed some light on this. I purchased my fiance''s engagement ring from Blue Nile. She loves it and I have been totally satisfied with it as well. The band is platinum and the other day she came home and told me that she had just noticed that it was bent. And bent it was. The bottom of the ring (along the bottom of her finger) was pretty much bent flat, like the bottom went straight across and was not rounded anymore. I took it to the jewelers yesterday and they couldn''t believe it. The jeweler said the ring definitely has that hefty, denser feel of platinum but he was puzzled. My fiance says she cannot think of one moment or real jarring blow that may have caused it. Could anyone shed some light on this or has anyone heard of anything similar? The ring cost me $6,200 so of course it is at least annoying to me. The jeweler was able to fix it and all is fine now but man that is driving me crazy!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steering wheel ?

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what happened either, but I anxiously await to see what others say!
23.gif

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
Come on, nobody else??? Is there a chance that it isn''t even platinum?

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
The jeweler who worked on it should have been able to tell you if it was platinum.....
I think I''ve heard that platinum "bends" easier than white gold ...

I think someone here one had porosity issues with a setting , which caused it to bend/break more easily.....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
was it stampled Plat? you bought it from blue nile? the jeweler who fixed it noticed the stamp (or you told him it was Plat) and he didn''t say anything? blue nile is NOT going to risk their reputation by giving you something other than a platinum ring.

yes, platinum is not indestructible. a platinum ring can bend and even break.

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
Yes it is marked "PLAT" inside the band. I''m probably just overreacting.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
How thick and wide is the band? Perhaps it''s a poor design?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum does and will bend and break...it''s a very malleable metal, and it depends on what BN mixes platinum with in their settings as well, as not all settings are 100% platinum (don''t know that really any of them are ?) ... we have heard similar stories from people on here who have had issues with their ring. Can it be fixed? Or can BN exchange the setting? I actually prefer that things like the ring become damaged as opposed to the wearer''s finger!!

Duckymama

Rough_Rock
I''ve just had this happen to my own ring, with one major difference...I haven''t been the fiance for 20 years as of this coming Wednesday...I''ve been the WIFE! And my ring is 14kt gold. I would be taking yours back toot sweet and seeing what the issue is. I''ve always been under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that platinum was sturdier than gold...hence the reason so many rings have platinum heads on yellow gold bands. Experts, advise? (and see my other question in a new thread...I need advice of my own on said just newly set ring''s setting)

Ducky

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many of the designs I've seen recently are just too thin to have much strength.
Perhaps they should not have been made.

Nothing is black and white.
There are degrees of strength.
Thinner is less strong.
There is also no way to know how hard a person is going to be on a ring.
Also accidents happen and the ring can be subject to unintended forces.

Jewelers have a dilema.
If they don't give customers the skinny rings that they want then their competitors will.

I have no idea if this was one of those thin designs but even if it isn't, I think I still have a point.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Soemthing really odd here.

I have got the thinnest thin 2mm (plat) wedding band. It has been banged against doors, drop on the floor etc...and i never take it off, no matter what i am doing. It hasn't got a single mark on it!!!!!!!!

Something really major has happened to distort the platinum to such a degree......and I wouldn't be happy either!

please let us know what you discover?

blod

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results