shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiancee lives in canada. Crossing the border.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Vin75

Rough_Rock
I live in the U.S. will I have any problems crossing the border with a set diamond and giving it to my fiancee? Will I have to pay anything even though she eventually plans to live in the U.S. anyway??

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I had a similar situation, but in the reverse.... I llived in the U.S. and he lived in Canada.

He just didn''t tell them, but I don''t know if there would have been tax involved (probably would be). Maybe you could call 1-800- o- canada and ask them. I think that number will work in the U.S.

Also, if you know the port of entry where you cross into Canada, you can google it and call them. I have done that with questions about moving goods etc.

Hope this helps!

Sophie

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, well all I can say is that my fiance and I traveled from the US into Canada with the ring in his luggage before he proposed. They didn''t ask him any question that would have required him to disclose the presence of the ring. When we crossed back into the US, (after he had proposed in Canada), we even showed the US customs agent the ring and he just said congratulations.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it matters that eventually she''ll live in the US. You''re bringing in a gift for a Canadian resident and will be expected to pay duty/taxes on it. If I were you, I wouldn''t say anything and hope they don''t search your car/luggage (unlikely unless they become suspicious for some reason). I would just say you are going to visit your friend/girlfriend -- don''t mention anything about a proposal, etc. I am a US citizen living in Vancouver. If I buy a piece of jewelry, I typically have it shipped to WA state to avoid duty and just wear it over the border. I never declare it. The taxes are very high. Good luck and congratulations!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 12:14:36 PM
Author: Rascal49
Hmmm, well all I can say is that my fiance and I traveled from the US into Canada with the ring in his luggage before he proposed. They didn't ask him any question that would have required him to disclose the presence of the ring. When we crossed back into the US, (after he had proposed in Canada), we even showed the US customs agent the ring and he just said congratulations.

You wouldn't be expected to pay duty on a ring you purchased in the US upon re-entering the country. But had you mentioned the ring on the way in, there's a good chance they would have charged you duty/tax. I wonder, though, if that would be the case since you are both US citizens and the ring would be leaving the country with you after a short trip. Hmmmmm....It's all such a PITA. I hate dealing with customs agents.

Vin75

Rough_Rock
What I could do I guess is bring it in. And if they ask about it just say that I plan to bring it back to the U.S. with me on my return trip and actually bring it back and give it back it to her the next time she visits me. How will they know the value of it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results