shape
carat
color
clarity

FENUGREEK

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pumping and BF''ing...i''m trying to increase my supply, but it''s not working. someone told me this herb works......

anyone take this herb to increase milk supply?

Did you have any side effects? Does it work? experiences?

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
How much are you taking?

I pumped for my 3 year old for the first year and around 6 months, had a supply dip. I used fenugreek -- 3 capsules, 3 times a day. You have to take enough so that your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup. I didn''t have any side effects from the fenugreek, other than smelling a little bit weird.

You can also try eating oatmeal. It should be "real" oatmeal, not the instant stuff.

I also added several pumping sessions in the evening and on the weekends. I just pumped when the baby nursed. I didn''t worry about how much I got -- the idea was to increase the stimulation in order to trick my body into thinking it needed to produce more milk.

I did have success with the fenugreek, but then I had another dip when af came back and the fenugreek capsules did not help me bounce back.

So, I tried this:
http://www.amazon.com/More-Milk-Plus-Alcohol-Motherlove/dp/B000IT49NW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1255963693&sr=1-12

I liked the taste of this, but it took some getting used to. It helped briefly, then I had yet another dip.

I finally decided to go to the big guns: domperidone. There are 2 meds that have the side effect of increasing milk supply -- Reglan and Motilium (which is domperidone). Reglan is FDA approved in the US, but getting a prescription for off label use can be tricky. I didn''t want to use Reglan because depression is a known side effect and I already have depression issues.

Domperidone is not available in the US, but has been used for years in Canada by Jack Newman for increasing milk supply. I ordered it from an overseas pharmacy, which is not exactly kosher, but I had done enough research to feel good about this choice. Obviously, it''s not for everyone. =)

There''s some excellent information here about the various galactagogues:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

HTH!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I took it everyday (as often as I could remember) but didn''t help my supply. I think mine was a lost cause b/c hours of pumping led to 2 oz at best (boo). I had absolutely no side effects though, I believe it''s natural so there are no worries, but that''s just from my point of view...

Give it a try but maybe ask your dr. about dosage since I can''t remember exact amounts, but remember reading that some people took large quantities.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure of any bad side effects of Fenugreek other than that horrible, horrible maple syrup smell. It''s nauseating.

As someone else said, oatmeal is supposed to work too (and you could even try it in cold cereal form, as in Honey Bunches of Oats). I also made tea from dill seeds and fennel seeds as well as drinking barley water. ALL of that combined did increase my supply, but not tremendously.

There''s a good article here: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-diet.aspx

Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pumping is not the best way to increase supply, because it just doesn't stimpulate the nipple/breast the same way that nursing does... so make sure you are doing lots of that. When my milk took a while to come in I would nurse my son for 10 minutes on one side and then pump for 10 minutes on both sides every 2 hours around the clock! (even through the night) I also took 2 caplets 3x a day of fenugreek and milkthistle. I think the pills did help and I had no side effects except that my armpits smelled like curry!
14.gif
It took about 4 days of this to get my milk in good and strong.

What makes you think your supply is low? If your son/daughter not having enough wet diapers?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
just wanted to pop in and recommend this Mother's Milk Tea...
http://www.tealand.com/MothersMilk.aspx

My girlfriend had a problem with stopped up lactation & swears this worked for her, it also can increase production. I have heard that it is highly recommended by other moms in her group too. She said she only took it for a few days before noticing a difference. I think Whole Foods sells it.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 12:36:48 PM
Author: ellaila
Not sure of any bad side effects of Fenugreek other than that horrible, horrible maple syrup smell. It''s nauseating.
As someone else said, oatmeal is supposed to work too (and you could even try it in cold cereal form, as in Honey Bunches of Oats). ALL of that combined did increase my supply, but not tremendously.

Good luck!
I wish I knew about the oatmeal Ellaila lol, I drank Fenugreek for about a month [any tea with 35mg of it will do] and worked... now: it tastes Yuckooooooo! Good Luck
2.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i''m going to try the fenugreek...2 other friends said it helps...we''ll see, if not then i''ll try the mothers milk tea.

i''m trying to build a a supply for when i go into work...i''ll be starting part time and i need a supply in the freezer. it seems like i had a lot more milk with my ds. thanks for all the advice.....although i really hope to smell more like syrup than curry..lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results