shape
carat
color
clarity

Feldgrau

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
...is what I decided to name this color:

Feldgrau.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Interesting colour. What does it look like in real life? What is it?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are more and more gray Spinels popping up on different sites. Is that a gray Spinel?

Freke, I wanted to ask you if you''ve seen black Spinel? If so, is black Spinel a good alternative to black Onyx?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That''s very pretty.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
every time I see one of your gray, or ''interesting'' color spinels, the more I decide I like them
27.gif

why the name? inquiring minds like to know.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a tourmaline. I know, I know, what on earth is Freke doing with a tourmaline?!

As for feldgrau, I got it from Wiki--the variations of green page.

feldgrau wiki.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 9:19:18 AM
Author: gemgirl
There are more and more gray Spinels popping up on different sites. Is that a gray Spinel?

Freke, I wanted to ask you if you''ve seen black Spinel? If so, is black Spinel a good alternative to black Onyx?
I haven''t seen it. However I have an almost black cushion that Dan Stair cut for me a while back, and it''s awesome. I refer to it as the "Darth Vader spinel" so if you do a search for that or "Freke spinel" you can usually find a picture or two of it. As for pure black spinel...wouldn''t know. I believe my jeweler has some around, so I should probably ask. One of these days I''ll have to get some of my own...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That''s a very cool color. Have you seen it irl yet?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
cool. a history/vocabulary lesson and a pretty gem all in one thread

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Cool color! I thought it was a spinel right away too.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting color and story! I can''t wait to see this one IRL and what you decide to do with it!!!
9.gif

Lori

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool Color stone and I''m sure an absolutely amazing cut stone as well
36.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
that is actually pretty interesting about the color. I can''t wait to see RL photos!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure looks similar to the grey spinels I''ve seen online. I''d love to hear/read your thoughts on it once you''ve played with it.

TFS!

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 9:19:18 AM
Author: gemgirl

Black spinel is superior to black onyx in several respects. For one thing, the spinel is harder (hardness of 8 vs 7) so it will take a better polish. For another thing, onyx is typically a layered stone with black and white layers, and it''s often necessary to dye it to get a uniform black color. Black spinel, like almost all spinel, is untreated.

There is quie a bit of black spinel mined in Thailand so you can often find it at attractive prices. I think it''s more durable than black tourmaline as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results