shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling pretty good about this ring purchase... did I get a descent deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
OK, just to clarify... I already bought this ring and I plan on giving it to my girlfriend in less than a month so don't razz me too bad if for some reason I didn't get the best deal. So now that I've laid the ground work, here's the stone. I paid $3000 shipped and as you can see it is an E color, VS1 clarity, .75 round brilliant with GIA certification. It is mounted in a 6 prong 14K white gold setting, but that really didn't matter to me. Please give me some opinions about the stone and my purchase... the good, the bad, and the not so ugly
2.gif
Thanks for helping out a newbie in the diamond world
35.gif

Adam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4909046816&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
it looks like a very nice stone..........price i cant comment on

cascadejim

Rough_Rock
Definitely have it independently appraised to make sure it really is what they say it is. That being said, the feedback on the guy is good, really nothing too negative and it appears you got a pretty good deal. I hope it all works out.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA is GIA... and you did save about $400 over what similar diamonds (0.75, E-VS1, not ideal or anything) sell at most around here. There are several such stones listed on PS''s database between $2700 and $3000 too, for what that matters
20.gif

If this diamond turn out to be a brilliant fellow, than Ebay really produced a good deal this time
1.gif

uclaure

Rough_Rock
$29,125.00 retail value? c''mon now.

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies all... just to clarify, I bought the ring direct from the jeweler and did not purchase off ebay yet it is the same stone as the one in the link. He''s an established store front in LA and I think once I upload pics the stone will speak for itself. He did offer a full $3000 credit on any stone he has or gets too in the future should my fiance ever want to upgrade. Bottom line is he killed the selection/prices around here (NE Iowa) and was very informative and patient in my selection process. Alan G jewelers in Los Angeles, CA.

Question I have though, is what''s everyone''s take of the #''s on the GIA certificate? Good/bad on the depth and what not? Should I have the ring appraised locally for insurance purposes? I laughed too at the estimated replacement value, but it seems all jewelery has some bogus estimated value and I want to make sure I have accurate information for my insurance policy. Thanks again for the help and can''t hardly wait to pop the question on our trip to Vegas January 2nd!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ideal or not.... it''s up to you to decide what is idea enough I am afraid

7.gif

- no, those do not fit with the current AGS0 cut grade (one kind of idea)... but they might fir with the updated AGS cut grades!

11.gif

- Harts and Arrows anyone? Yours I probably not one.

- maybe top light return is "ideal" ? This could be the case and you could rank your diamond among all others using an Ideal Scope (LINK) for reference. This works even with the stone set and you can also use the same tool to select another diamond from the jeweler''s bunch of non-ideals (given the generous trade-in policy) if the current doesn''t quite make the cut.

Just my cynical 0.2...

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
Ideal or not.... it''s up to you to decide what is idea enough I am afraid

- no, those do not fit with the current AGS0 cut grade (one kind of idea)... but they might fir with the updated AGS cut grades!

- Harts and Arrows anyone? Yours I probably not one.

- maybe top light return is "ideal" ? This could be the case and you could rank your diamond among all others using an Ideal Scope (LINK) for reference. This works even with the stone set and you can also use the same tool to select another diamond from the jeweler''s bunch of non-ideals (given the generous trade-in policy) if the current doesn''t quite make the cut.

Just my cynical 0.2...

I followed about 2% of that post... can you clarify what you''re trying to say a bit more? I think you are telling me the cut is not ideal?
33.gif
I appreciate the reply, I just am a bit lost (which isn''t surprising)
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2004 12:15:44 AM
Author: ACV1081

I followed about 2% of that post...
It just says that there is no generally accepted definition of "ideal". Did you see this thread? This is exactly what''s about...

Since the diamond is set and in your posession, I thought numbers would be harder to obtain than a quick test of light return using an Ideal Scope. The link in the original post goes to the relevant page on Garry''s ideal-scope.com.

Hope this makes sense...

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
Ah, I did not know what you were talking about when you referred to H&A... I guess it's probably not, but I have not even done the test you linked to me as of yet. Do you think I should take and get it appraised locally and will that appraisal shed light onto the grade of the cut on the stone? Sorry if it's really an obvious answer... this is the first time I've ever bought a diamond.
12.gif

Also, what kind of premium do you pay for that H&A cut? Is it quite a bit more than a regular ole round brilliant?
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About grading cut: not sure all appraisers do the same analysis you would need to find one that doesn''t just write evaluations for insurance.

I would be confident enough to buy an Idea Scope and look at the stone: if the black arrows are there and the rest if hot red (the little toy comes with a refference CZ to see what the look should ideally be) than that''s that - you have the nicest bargain in the house.

Premium on Harts and Arrows: you may want to run a serach "By HCA Cut Quality" - most of the stones with "Excellent HCA" are Harts and Arrows cut to perfection or near. Otherwise, there are brands that survive on the H&A hype - "Harts on Fire" is one, and they do have a seriously larger premium than the H&A pedllers on Pricescope. SO I do not know a generic number.

34.gif
Running that search, two diamonds E-VS1 between 0.7 and 0.8 cts came at about 4k. At 3k there are four of them lined up: F/G VS2 all.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 1:51:58 AM
Do you think I should take and get it appraised locally and will that appraisal shed light onto the grade of the cut on the stone?

Yes, you should get it apprasied locally by an independant appraiser. That is - one not associated with a jewelery store. This is important so that you get a valid appraisal.

This will do several things

It will make sure the stone you got, matches the GIA and any other reports you have.
It will re-validate the color, weight and inclusions that are in the stone
It will provide you with an estimate of fair market price (probalby less than the 20K listed)
It will be paperwork that you can use to insure the stone on your own insurance policy.

And it can help you understand if you got a good/ok/bad deal on the stone.

Some apprasiers can also advise you on cut. They may also have additional tools to test your diamonds brilliance. Since your diamond is already set in a setting - you may have limited use of this type of equipment - it is usually meant for loose stones.

Your appraiser is working for you, and will tell you all you need to know. In my opinion - after any purchase of a diamond - you should get it appraised JUST TO MAKE SURE IT''S REAL!!!

My appraisal cost was based on the ctw of the diamond - but I think it was around $85

If you can make your purchase contingent on a satisfactory apprasial I WOULD!

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
I''m learning more and more already... I had the ring looked over by a reputable jeweler in town and he was very impressed. Said that it would be a $4000 ring easy for him to sell, so I''m pleased. I will check into local appraisers and see if I can have it done independently which I agree would be the best. A quick check of this site did not list any recommended appraisers though in Iowa at all... bummer
4.gif
Thanks again everyone, can''t wait to give the darn thing to the girl I purchased it for
30.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 5:42:37 PM
Thanks again everyone, can''t wait to give the darn thing to the girl I purchased it for
30.gif

Awwwwwwwwwww... So sweet!! Congratulations! I am sure she will LOVE it as much as she loves you! Best of luck to you both.. and i''m sure it will be one merry christmas!

ACV1081

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 6:22:40 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
Date: 12/3/2004 5:42:37 PM

30.gif

Awwwwwwwwwww... So sweet!! Congratulations! I am sure she will LOVE it as much as she loves you! Best of luck to you both.. and i''m sure it will be one merry christmas!

Thank you! I cannot wait to get this done... such a beautiful ring for such a beautiful girl!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results