carat
color
clarity

Feedback/Opinions Requested on Engagement Diamond

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @sledge and @lovedogs.

For $30K I would want better cut quality than any of these. And for me personally, for that amount of money I would want the upgrade policy that a vendor like WF provides.

Are you able to find a local jeweler who carries AGS0 I color diamonds? For example, is there a Hearts on Fire dealer near you? I think it makes a big difference seeing truly superbly cut I color stones versus ones that have mediocre cut.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DiamondDoug22 I have been searching around looking for something else to present to you. Unfortunately I haven't found anything better yet.

While doing a different search I ran across a 2.51 H/VS2 that I initially thought was the 2.50 H/SI1 I commented on with the MBF. What caught my attention was it had an inventory time of 613 days! Although I was mistaken, I then revamped my search and found the 2.50 H/SI1 stone as well and it shows 457 days in inventory!

This long lead time just further confirms my suspicion something is off with that stone. Anyhow, sorry it's not better news, but I thought it was worth sharing.

HTML link to search results

1676937776620.png

DiamondDoug22

Rough_Rock
@Kim N - it looks like there are some dealers so I will look into that further.

@sledge -
Too bad about the 2.52, 2.51, and 2.50, thank you for the additional digging on these
The 2.53ct WF - I asked and unfortunately they do not have an idealscope available for this one.

I came across the following two options tonight. They each have nearly the same proportions but I prefer the look of the first one. The second had an idealscope available which looks pretty good (I think) and should be a good indication of how both perform. Opinions welcome and appreciated!

idealscope for 2.51ct 1425595074.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N - it looks like there are some dealers so I will look into that further.

@sledge -
Too bad about the 2.52, 2.51, and 2.50, thank you for the additional digging on these
The 2.53ct WF - I asked and unfortunately they do not have an idealscope available for this one.

I came across the following two options tonight. They each have nearly the same proportions but I prefer the look of the first one. The second had an idealscope available which looks pretty good (I think) and should be a good indication of how both perform. Opinions welcome and appreciated!

idealscope for 2.51ct 1425595074.png

I would pass on both of these as well. The 2.51 has some leakage under the table. The 2.61 has an unevenly cut pavilion (outlined in green) and is possibly even more leaky.

2.61.jpg

DiamondDoug22

Rough_Rock
Thank you @Kim N for the feedback on these. Having now discussed a variety of different stones in this thread I think it begs the question of are we looking for something that just doesn't exist within my budget or do you think its a matter of being patient and continuing to hunt? If the reality is that I need to compromise on some characteristic, I can live with that. I just don't have the context that you all do of what is achievable for my budget. Thank you!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve searched several places for you and what I’m seeing is you need to give in one of the following areas:

1. Color
2. Size
3. Budget

You can hit a 2.50ish carat I color stone for budget. You can hit a 2 to maybe 2.20 H color stone for budget.

It’s your money. We can’t tell you how to spend. You have a nice budget. I hate to see you spend $30k on something that isn’t awesome. That is a lot of money.

What direction do you want to consider? We can revamp recommendations based on your new direction.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve searched several places for you and what I’m seeing is you need to give in one of the following areas:

1. Color
2. Size
3. Budget

You can hit a 2.50ish carat I color stone for budget. You can hit a 2 to maybe 2.20 H color stone for budget.

It’s your money. We can’t tell you how to spend. You have a nice budget. I hate to see you spend $30k on something that isn’t awesome. That is a lot of money.

What direction do you want to consider? We can revamp recommendations based on your new direction.

I agree 100%.

DiamondDoug22

Rough_Rock
Hi again @Kim N and @sledge. I took your advice and went to an appointment with a hearts on fire dealer. I was able to use their scope and see the near perfect symmetry and cut. Maybe the jewelry store lighting had something to do with it but the conclusion that I came to was that I really could not tell the difference between an AGS0 and something close to it without a scope or magnification.

My thinking now is I would like to be in the following ranges:
Want a great cut but willing to live with something on the edge of the ideal ranges
2.25-2.5 ct (willing to go a little smaller than before)
F-H color
Same budget of +/-30k for the stone

This one seems to check the boxes. Idealscope does not look at good as I expected but based on what I saw at the jewelers, I would expect this to look quite good in person.

idealscope for 2.29ct 6435609755.png

Thoughts and feedback on any/all of the above are welcome and appreciated!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again @Kim N and @sledge. I took your advice and went to an appointment with a hearts on fire dealer. I was able to use their scope and see the near perfect symmetry and cut. Maybe the jewelry store lighting had something to do with it but the conclusion that I came to was that I really could not tell the difference between an AGS0 and something close to it without a scope or magnification.

My thinking now is I would like to be in the following ranges:
Want a great cut but willing to live with something on the edge of the ideal ranges
2.25-2.5 ct (willing to go a little smaller than before)
F-H color
Same budget of +/-30k for the stone

This one seems to check the boxes. Idealscope does not look at good as I expected but based on what I saw at the jewelers, I would expect this to look quite good in person.

idealscope for 2.29ct 6435609755.png

Thoughts and feedback on any/all of the above are welcome and appreciated!

I think it's great that you took the time to visit a HOF dealer. Did they have a range of colors for you to take a look at, in addition to the different cut qualities?

I recommend considering this stone instead, which is negligibly smaller but with less leakage.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I feel that these would be superior choices from JA inventory, despite being a tiny touch smaller in diameter.

There's this gem at WF:

You can see if Victor Canera, Brian Gavin, Continental Diamond, and JannPaul have anything that fits your desired diameter and budget.

DiamondDoug22

Rough_Rock
@Kim N - not a wide range of HOF stones but I was able to see a couple different colors and compare a HOF to a non HOF of the same color. Thanks to you and @DejaWiz for the suggestions. I do really like that 2.25ct. I've put several of these on hold and made an appointment to see them in person. Finally feels like I am making progress but am glad to have done all the legwork leading up to this and am grateful to have had your advice along the way.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the jewelry store lighting had something to do with it but the conclusion that I came to was that I really could not tell the difference between an AGS0 and something close to it without a scope or magnification.

Lighting makes all the difference in the world. Think about it. Grab the best cut diamond and the worst cut and go stand in a dark closet and tell me which is better. Over powered jewelers lighting is sort of the opposite effect. They flood so much light onto each stone that poorly cut stones still look good. Effectively they provide the best case scenario.

Real life isn’t that way. That’s why it’s important to analyze stones in a variety of lighting conditions. Perhaps in the back office under normal fluorescents. Near a window. Diffused outdoor lighting. Under the jeweler counter (ask first!).

Here is an excellent video by @Garry H (Cut Nut) demonstrating how edge to edge light performance matters in a well cut and poorly cut stone. While both stones are nearly identical size watch one shrink as you change the lighting condition.

To be clear, I am not stating any of the stones you picked will perform this bad. This video has extreme cases. However, those leakage areas may indeed show up as dark areas in normal lighting environments. So yes, lighting makes all the difference in the world!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results