shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on Images & Sarin from Third JA Emerald-Cut Please!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Re: Feedback on Images & Sarin from Third JA Emerald-Cut Ple

Chrono|1326983619|3106610 said:
The Sarin looks very promising but where I put more trust is in the ASET, and that is sorely lacking - too much green and barely anything else. Seems like maybe it's just a slightly above average EC.

Thanks, Chrono. Reading between the lines of the JA gemologist's comments, I think that was his/her impression of this stone, too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lula,
Putting aside the ASET, light performance and all that, I would like to bring up the point that a consumer and vendor's definition of eye clean can be different. For almost all vendors, eye clean means being clean from 6 inches away (or even arm's length away) from the top only. For consumers, perhaps seeing something from the side will bother us, or that we don't want to see anything when peering at the stone up close.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1326984622|3106619 said:
Lula,
Putting aside the ASET, light performance and all that, I would like to bring up the point that a consumer and vendor's definition of eye clean can be different. For almost all vendors, eye clean means being clean from 6 inches away (or even arm's length away) from the top only. For consumers, perhaps seeing something from the side will bother us, or that we don't want to see anything when peering at the stone up close.
Honestly I have to wonder if JA just says all VS2s are eye-clean and all SI2s are not, because I have gotten on the chat before and it seemed like they had a knee-jerk response.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1326983619|3106610 said:
The Sarin looks very promising but where I put more trust is in the ASET, and that is sorely lacking - too much green and barely anything else. Seems like maybe it's just a slightly above average EC.

ETA
Good grief, I'm missing huge chunks of words and worse yet, Lula has quoted it so everybody can see it for posterity before I can correct my grammar. :oops: I'll be surprised if anybody can make heads or tails of what I've written.

Chrono, I went in and replaced your old post in my quote with your corrected one. So no worries. I knew what you meant, though, even with the typos. Thanks again for your feedback on this stone. I really appreciate it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

MissStepcut|1326985578|3106632 said:
Chrono|1326984622|3106619 said:
Lula,
Honestly I have to wonder if JA just says all VS2s are eye-clean and all SI2s are not, because I have gotten on the chat before and it seemed like they had a knee-jerk response.

Yes, and "eye clean face up" tells only part of the story. In an emerald-cut, I think I'd really notice inclusions from the side. Thanks for looking out for me, MissSC and Chrono.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

This one does not have me doig back flips.

Lula, I used to be in love with ECs because I adore the shape, but after owning one I learned the optics are not my favourite. Now ,the ones I owned were your basic big table glassy ones, and the stone you find much be better, but I wonder if a different style square or rectangular shape would be a better bet? I have not followed all your threads, so I am not sure what the attraction to this cut style is per se, for you.

I also think that this size EC, which is basically the same size as the ones I used to own as side stones :)) , is too small for the style mounts you have linked here :blackeye: I am not trying to be sizest at all! Just speaking esthetically.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1326999551|3106777 said:
This one does not have me doig back flips.

Lula, I used to be in love with ECs because I adore the shape, but after owning one I learned the optics are not my favourite. Now ,the ones I owned were your basic big table glassy ones, and the stone you find much be better, but I wonder if a different style square or rectangular shape would be a better bet? I have not followed all your threads, so I am not sure what the attraction to this cut style is per se, for you.

I also think that this size EC, which is basically the same size as the ones I used to own as side stones :)) , is too small for the style mounts you have linked here :blackeye: I am not trying to be sizest at all! Just speaking esthetically.

Thanks for your post, Dreamer. I'm not offended, and you make a great point.

To answer your question about the appeal of EC's -- I have always loved the long "bars" of light and the hall of mirrors effect in step cuts. I love how clean and cool and linear they look. I like square and rectangular shapes on my hand better than I do round shapes. That was an expensive lesson I don't care to repeat!

But I do agree with you. Looking at blackpaw's thread again reminded me of another reason I don't own an EC -- the full impact of the steps is best seen in larger carat weights. And I'm not sure I want to put that kind of cash into a diamond. But I will be attending a conference in San Francisco in April, and I'm already planning an excursion to Lang's to see what they've got in vintage EC's. So who knows?!?

As for other square/rectangular shapes:
I've always admired slg47's princess of hearts.
I'm not much of an antique cushion gal.I don't like those roundy-round facets. I prefer the sharp on-off facet structure of modern cuts over the softer look of antique rounds/cushions.
I've been considering -- horrors, never thought I'd say this! -- princess cuts. I've been doing some reading about the origins of the cut and its variations. I've always liked Crafted by Infinity princess cuts, but the supply of those has been dwindling for a long time, and now there are none listed.

Suggestions welcome, folks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I feel the same way about step cuts and size which is why I don't have on eithet :blackeye:

I am also a big fan of the Brellia (slg's stone). The Princess of Hearts is a good option. Based on videos I really like Solasfera princess.

For me, in the under 1ct size, I really like MRBs and OECs, the optics work really well in that size. Have you considered a square illusion mount along these lines? I feel like under 3/4 carat the nuance of round or square is lost so the mount becomes more important in determinig the way it looks on the hand: http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-755/50-Carat-Diamond-Edwardian-Engagement

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327003411|3106818 said:
I feel the same way about step cuts and size which is why I don't have on eithet :blackeye: Yeah, a nice large EC is definitely on my bucket list, when I get the lifestyle to match it :bigsmile:

I am also a big fan of the Brellia (slg's stone). I didn't know hers is a Brellia. I've got more research to do, I see The Princess of Hearts is a good option. Based on videos I really like Solasfera princess. The Solasfera would be a knockout. Wonder how they look in smaller sizes? Does anyone here own one (who's posted photos)?

For me, in the under 1ct size, I really like MRBs and OECs, the optics work really well in that size. Have you considered a square illusion mount along these lines? I feel like under 3/4 carat the nuance of round or square is lost so the mount becomes more important in determinig the way it looks on the hand: http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-755/50-Carat-Diamond-Edwardian-Engagement Yes, as a matter of fact, an ebay "experiment" along these lines is on its way to me. :Up_to_something: Its an RB (a tranny) in a square head, with vintage sapphire sidestones. It needs some restoration. I've been in contact with Ari at Single Stone about it. He's been great. I hope I can work with him on this. When I get the ring, I'll post photos. But, even if this rehab project doesn't work out, I do think your suggestion of round-stone-in-square head is a good option. Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do you have the vendor pics of your tranny? Would love to see.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327005322|3106844 said:
Do you have the vendor pics of your tranny? Would love to see.

Sure. Here's the link to the completed listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-14...ultDomain_0&hash=item41616271ac#ht_735wt_1078

Seller photos are not great. But I e-mailed Ari a link to the listing and asked him about the price, condition, etc., and he said for the price, it was worth a look. The seller extended the return period for me, too, so I can send it to Ari for an evaluation. Ari said the sapphires may be real (synthetics were so common during the early 1900s, though, that I doubt it). And I can't tell a thing from the photos about the cut of the small diamond. But if it's a transitional with the checkerboard facets, I'll be happy. If not, I may consider removing the center stone and sourcing a loose stone. The prongs have all got to be re-done anyway. Lots of "ifs" on this one, but it's got the Deco look I want. Stay tuned -- it should be here tomorrow!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I look forward to your impressions. The mount is very nice!

I suspect from the photos it is not a "transitional" in the way we think of them, but it a transitional in the way that ebay and other secondary market sources seem to use the term: average cut early round brilliant :blackeye: There are tonnes of those in ebay it seems, I'm sure you have noticed it too, I think they use the term to enhance marketability of stones that are otherwise not very remarkable. I think for a ring like that at that price it is not worth shipping off to get evaluated. Just use your own eyes to see if you like how it looks, you know enough about diamonds. Since the stone is a round you can likely find a replacement so easily if you ended up loving the mount and not the diamond. But I will be very interested to hear your thoughts!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327014245|3106954 said:
I look forward to your impressions. The mount is very nice!

I suspect from the photos it is not a "transitional" in the way we think of them, but it a transitional in the way that ebay and other secondary market sources seem to use the term: average cut early round brilliant :blackeye: There are tonnes of those in ebay it seems, I'm sure you have noticed it too, I think they use the term to enhance marketability of stones that are otherwise not very remarkable. I think for a ring like that at that price it is not worth shipping off to get evaluated. Just use your own eyes to see if you like how it looks, you know enough about diamonds. Since the stone is a round you can likely find a replacement so easily if you ended up loving the mount and not the diamond. But I will be very interested to hear your thoughts!

Oh, I do know what you mean about ebay sellers and "transitional cut" diamonds! It seems to be the new buzzword among ebay vendors :rolleyes: I couldn't tell a thing from her pictures. I am fully prepared for it to be a "table saw special" -- you know, one of those vintage diamonds that are almost flat on top.

I e-mailed her with a lot of questions, and she was very nice about everything. But I don't know how much she knows about vintage jewelry. She said her jeweler is the one who determined that the sapphires were real and graded the color/clarity of the diamond. I have no idea why she thinks it's a handmade setting versus cast. I also have no idea why she thinks it looks "Russian." It looks like regular old European or American Art Deco to me, late Art Deco, more Art Moderne. And possibly a "marriage" between two separate vintage rings...another possible surprise!

Yes, I agree -- no need to send it to Ari for any kind of an evaluation unless I decide to keep it and want him to work on it. It's the resizing that's the issue. Working on vintage rose gold is a b*tch and there's no one here I'd trust to touch it. I'd have him rebuild the prongs, too. His prices are surprisingly reasonable for repairs. And he is truly the nicest guy.

My local lapidary shop can tell me if the sapphires are real. And I'll be able to evaluate the diamond myself. The mount *may* fit me -- my fingers have shrunk. And if it does fit me and I like the style, I will probably keep it and replace the center stone (if it's not a real tranny). New mountings are just so expensive, and even the so-so vintage ones on ebay are going for lots of cash. It seems it's less expensive to find a decent vintage diamond than it is to find a decent vintage setting these days :twirl:

I'm also curious to see if the center of the mounting could be adapted to hold a square-shaped stone, rather than a round.

I have low expectations on this one, so it may end up going right back in the box as a return. But I'll be sure to report back with some photos in either case. Thanks :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hear you on mountings. My OEC is loose and I am thinking about settings, but good lord I cannot bring my self to spend more on a setting than I spent on the stone! That really just seems crazy :tongue: It may sit in its temp mounting, which should arrive soon! -- for a long while. Story of my life :rolleyes:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Lula|1326983504|3106606 said:
Christina...|1326971916|3106548 said:
Lula! :wavey: At it again I see! :lol: We are hopeless! :wacko: I adore the clipped corners on this stone, in fact, if I had to change anything about my stone it would be that I wish that the corners were just a bit deeper. SInce I've gotten it I have been considering changing the head and adding claw prongs to really play it up. When I look down at it, it just looks to square to me sometimes.

I feel super lucky that I ended up with a stone with the light performance that I really wanted. People kept trying to tell me that I would be disappointed with the glassy appearance of a step cut, but all I can say now is :tongue: , it doesn't look glassy at all! But, that was just luck, I really had no idea what I was doing when I made the purchase. I fell in love with the stone and I sort of, kind of , knew what the general numbers should be, and got lucky.

Anyway, it seems you have this all under control, so I really have no advice to offer. Your setting ideas are TDF. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you get!

Yes, we are all hopeless on this board, I am afraid. You are indeed very lucky that you found your stone! I think a lot of step-cut hunting involves luck and a good idea of what you want the stone to look like (preferences for patterning, corners, l x w ratio). That said, there are a lot of "dead" looking step cuts out there. Plus, most jewelers in my area have only a few in stock, and that limits my ability to compare them. Without having a better idea of what I'm looking for, I can't even ask them to call in stones for comparison. And the prices -- yikes. I'm lucky because I've tried on a few rings with stones in the .60 - .90 carat range and that size range works on my hand and is not too flashy for my "real" life. Though I will add side stones because I like the look. I started looking for an emerald-cut in 2009, and gave up because it was too hard to find a good one online. That was before a lot of vendors were using videos. I bought a round instead. I really regret not going with my shape preference the first time around. Oh, well, live and learn! I do know a heck of a lot about modern brilliant rounds now, and could pick a good one with one eye closed and my hands tied behind my back :loopy:

Have you considered the Octavia? Gorgeous! :love: Lots of light performance and Jonathon would be a great ally in helping nail down a great stone. I find them a bit pricey, but with less aggravation and less of a crap shoot, it may be worth a look??

I totally understand the desire for side stones! :love: More finger coverage without the need for a massive center stone and the overall look is stunning!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327016680|3106980 said:
I hear you on mountings. My OEC is loose and I am thinking about settings, but good lord I cannot bring my self to spend more on a setting than I spent on the stone! That really just seems crazy :tongue: It may sit in its temp mounting, which should arrive soon! -- for a long while. Story of my life :rolleyes:

I can't justify spending what settings cost these days either. Seriously, custom platinum and diamond settings cost as much as two plane tickets to Europe (my new spending benchmark, ha-ha). Nothing wrong with waiting out the high prices with a temp setting. Your new OEC is gorgeous, by the way. I got behind on my PS reading over the holidays, but I just checked out the photos. Love the shot of the profiles of your mom's and your OECs together -- those teeny-tiny tables are amazing.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Christina...|1327017642|3106990 said:
Lula|1326983504|3106606 said:
Christina...|1326971916|3106548 said:
Lula! :wavey: At it again I see! :lol: We are hopeless! :wacko: I adore the clipped corners on this stone, in fact, if I had to change anything about my stone it would be that I wish that the corners were just a bit deeper. SInce I've gotten it I have been considering changing the head and adding claw prongs to really play it up. When I look down at it, it just looks to square to me sometimes.

I feel super lucky that I ended up with a stone with the light performance that I really wanted. People kept trying to tell me that I would be disappointed with the glassy appearance of a step cut, but all I can say now is :tongue: , it doesn't look glassy at all! But, that was just luck, I really had no idea what I was doing when I made the purchase. I fell in love with the stone and I sort of, kind of , knew what the general numbers should be, and got lucky.

Anyway, it seems you have this all under control, so I really have no advice to offer. Your setting ideas are TDF. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you get!

Yes, we are all hopeless on this board, I am afraid. You are indeed very lucky that you found your stone! I think a lot of step-cut hunting involves luck and a good idea of what you want the stone to look like (preferences for patterning, corners, l x w ratio). That said, there are a lot of "dead" looking step cuts out there. Plus, most jewelers in my area have only a few in stock, and that limits my ability to compare them. Without having a better idea of what I'm looking for, I can't even ask them to call in stones for comparison. And the prices -- yikes. I'm lucky because I've tried on a few rings with stones in the .60 - .90 carat range and that size range works on my hand and is not too flashy for my "real" life. Though I will add side stones because I like the look. I started looking for an emerald-cut in 2009, and gave up because it was too hard to find a good one online. That was before a lot of vendors were using videos. I bought a round instead. I really regret not going with my shape preference the first time around. Oh, well, live and learn! I do know a heck of a lot about modern brilliant rounds now, and could pick a good one with one eye closed and my hands tied behind my back :loopy:

Have you considered the Octavia? Gorgeous! :love: Lots of light performance and Jonathon would be a great ally in helping nail down a great stone. I find them a bit pricey, but with less aggravation and less of a crap shoot, it may be worth a look??

I totally understand the desire for side stones! :love: More finger coverage without the need for a massive center stone and the overall look is stunning!

Oh, yes, indeed, Christina, I have considered the Octavia! In fact, one reason I was considering the GOG emerald-cut in a recent thread was because I thought maybe I could slowly trade up to an Octavia...sigh.

But -- how's this for a plan? -- if my ebay setting is a keeper, but the center diamond needs to be replaced, I could replace it with this...http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9071/. The road to an Octavia may be paved with a few AVCs!

ETA: Agh! I said the upgrade word!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327003411|3106818 said:
I feel the same way about step cuts and size which is why I don't have on eithet :blackeye:

I am also a big fan of the Brellia (slg's stone). The Princess of Hearts is a good option. Based on videos I really like Solasfera princess.

For me, in the under 1ct size, I really like MRBs and OECs, the optics work really well in that size. Have you considered a square illusion mount along these lines? I feel like under 3/4 carat the nuance of round or square is lost so the mount becomes more important in determinig the way it looks on the hand: http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-755/50-Carat-Diamond-Edwardian-Engagement

this is why I can't have one either. everytime I think about getting myself a little EC or asscher to satisfy my love for them- I remember the size I can afford :(

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

All that said one of my favourite step cuts is LTP's and it is I think 0.70ct.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1327036080|3107202 said:

That's an excellent example. And the setting emphasizes the steps in the stone, providing a visual "boost."

But maybe you, Amy, and I could pool our resources and get a monster EC and share it? Too bad the shipping and insurance (and customs) fees would kill us. ;(

ETA: Correcting my grammar -- I should know better than to type before having my second cup of coffee.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lula|1327063340|3107327 said:

That's an excellent example. And the setting emphasizes the steps in the stone, providing a visual "boost."

But maybe you, Amy, and me could pool our resources and get a monster EC and share it? Too bad the s hipping and insurance (and customs) fees would kill us. ;(

Hmm, maybe the switch would have to occur at a GTG or trip :) :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lula,
I also have a rather small EC for my e-ring (which is positively microscopic compared to my other diamond RHRs but I don't care. :praise: ). It is only a 0.76 ct stone but with the right setting, it can accentuate the shape and steps beautifully without making it look overly small. There's just something about the EC that pulls me in as well. The elegant long steps are very classy and while it's not busy like an RB, the larger facets flash just when you least expect it.

101_0616.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Amys Bling|1327063932|3107332 said:
Lula|1327063340|3107327 said:

But maybe you, Amy, and me could pool our resources and get a monster EC and share it? Too bad the s hipping and insurance (and customs) fees would kill us. ;(

Hmm, maybe the switch would have to occur at a GTG or trip :) :naughty:

Good idea -- we could put the money it would cost to ship and insure the monster EC toward plane tickets and fun!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1327064021|3107333 said:
Lula,
I also have a rather small EC for my e-ring (which is positively microscopic compared to my other diamond RHRs but I don't care. :praise: ). It is only a 0.76 ct stone but with the right setting, it can accentuate the shape and steps beautifully without making it look overly small. There's just something about the EC that pulls me in as well. The elegant long steps are very classy and while it's not busy like an RB, the larger facets flash just when you least expect it.

Oh, Chrono, you give me hope! What a lovely ring. I agree with you on the elegant nature of the flash. Timeless and almost zen-like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results