shape
carat
color
clarity

Federal Judge upheld Indiana University requiring vaccine mandate.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you think we will start seeing more universities put a vaccine mandate in place?

I sure hope so. I do think it will be a struggle, and possible court battle, for state schools to do so in some of the states where the governors and/or state legislatures are essentially becoming utterly anti-vax. I'm glad to see this result in Indiana, and I hope it bodes well for other states.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I wish they would, but many universities with tight budgets don’t want to alienate prospective students. In TX we can’t even have a mask mandate thanks to our horrible governor.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I work for a University that has mandated the vaccine. I don't think it's been challenged in court (? yet?). I fully support mandating it with appropriate health and religious exemptions.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many U. S. schools already are requiring vaccinations for fall enrollment. I know that there are a few more challenges to state schools requiring them (I think I read California and Connecticut) but I found this list from late June which show that it is fairly common. It's also interesting to see which ones have no mandate and their locations.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they would, but many universities with tight budgets don’t want to alienate prospective students.

I'd think universities with tight budgets would not want their paying customers (students) to die off.

But hey, politicians on the right apparently don't care if their voters die off ... so ... whatevs. :think: :confused:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for a University that has mandated the vaccine. I don't think it's been challenged in court (? yet?). I fully support mandating it with appropriate health and religious exemptions.

I agree with the health exemption, with a doctor's approval, but why a religious exemption?
Why should a religious person be have carte blanch to harm or kill others.
Is belief in a god a legit legal defense for manslaughter?

This is a PUBLIC health matter ... a life and death one.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the health exemption, with a doctor's approval, but why a religious exemption?

I believe some religions don’t believe in being vaccinated. I’m pretty sure Christian Scientists hold this belief but I am happy to be corrected if I’m misinformed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe some religions don’t believe in being vaccinated. I’m pretty sure Christian Scientists hold this belief but I am happy to be corrected if I’m misinformed.

I don't care if consenting adults suicide for Jesus by refusing life-saving medical care.
But I have a problem with them letting their minor kids die, OR turning themselves into COVID factories for Jesus.

:doh:

America has a religion problem when it lets people use religions in this way.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I expect to see more. I do hope that the universities take advantage of the online stuff they put in place to allow mostly online options for those who want/need. Being able to get a degree without risking serious injury/death for those with compromised immune systems would be a great thing. Also, for those having to work while attending school, the ability to do remote learning could open up options they never had before. In a situation like that, it would be very reasonable to insist that every person attending in person be fully vaccinated.
Oh, online options (thinking like recorded lectures and similar set up to what I had my second to last quarter) would also mean that people who usually attend in person could actually stay home when sick without getting behind. My college had a horrible time with colds/flus spreading as no one could take a day or two off while sick. I had to retake classes after getting bacterial pneumonia, whooping cough, and other nasty illnesses. People visibly very sick sitting in crowded rooms is not healthy!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just need to pop in this thread to say I was on a college visit there with our daughter when this was announced yesterday… What a dreamy and fantasy-land school that feels like on campus. Really an amazing place. 0F99EE12-88DD-47D6-A5E4-37A840D85FF8.jpeg I’m glad to see the federal judge upheld the decision. People can make their choices. Maybe it will free up some out of state scholarships for us, hah!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they would, but many universities with tight budgets don’t want to alienate prospective students. In TX we can’t even have a mask mandate thanks to our horrible governor.
Texans don't believe in masking up not even inside a plane. Ooops!, I forgot... only Rs carry the virus.

1626845835810.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happens when the interest for public safety clashes with one's religious beliefs?

I agree 100% with you Kenny.

I don't know the legalities of this but if I was Queen/King/Leader of this country one would get vaccinated (if medically allowed) or one could just leave this country and go elsewhere. If elsewhere would have you.

It's your right to do as you please as long as you don't affect others negatively in a big way. That is, put others lives at risk. And this, IMO, is where the line needs to be drawn. If one can get vaccinated safely (ie no medical/health contraindications) one must get vaccinated.

Religious reasons don't cut it for me when you are putting so many others in harms way.
Not OK.

Vaccines save lives.

vaccines.jpg

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

While I agree, I don't think tackling the whole "religious exemption from vaccines" thing is going to be beneficial right now, and it will probably end up with numerous court challenges. WOuldn't be surprised if a case like that went all the way to the Supreme Court. If we can get those without exemptions vaccinated, we should be at herd immunity which should accomplish what we need in terms of dampening the pandemic.

Honestly, I'd estimate that 95% of the people who say that their doctor says they shouldn't get it are either 1) lying or 2) seeing a quack. So I'd really like to see the medical boards/nursing boards investigate those who have written medical exemptions (medical boards for PA/MD/DO, nursing boards for NPs).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just need to pop in this thread to say I was on a college visit there with our daughter when this was announced yesterday… What a dreamy and fantasy-land school that feels like on campus. Really an amazing place. 0F99EE12-88DD-47D6-A5E4-37A840D85FF8.jpeg I’m glad to see the federal judge upheld the decision. People can make their choices. Maybe it will free up some out of state scholarships for us, hah!

Thank you for your appreciation and high praise of IU Btown campus! I live here—if your daughter ends up attending I would be happy to meet with you and be a person of support while she’s here!

We locals are pleased with this decision. However, IU President Whitten has just been dx with COVID and she was vaccinated. We need to bring back the mask mandate. I have gone back to wearing a mask in public spaces again and hope to see others do the same even if Bloomington does not reinstate a mandatory mask policy regardless of vaccination status.I just don’t think we’re out of the woods yet.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
While I agree, I don't think tackling the whole "religious exemption from vaccines" thing is going to be beneficial right now, and it will probably end up with numerous court challenges. WOuldn't be surprised if a case like that went all the way to the Supreme Court.
Already been there in the past and Roberts hinted that court would uphold it also.
Jacobson v. Massachusetts

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results