shape
carat
color
clarity

"Featured Topics" in SMTB

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else notice the new layout in SMTB -- the prominently-placed "Featured Topics" section?

FWIW I don't like it.
-- I much prefer the date order placement of threads, with new threads as well as threads currently being discussed placed up top and those with older posts dropping down in the queue.
-- the "Featured Topics" section takes up prime real estate but displays primarily older content

I question how the "Featured Topics" arrangement promotes the purpose of SMTB, which was created and exists for PSers to post threads on their new and favorite pieces ...

What say you?

1630768328709.png

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although not labeled as such, looks to me as if it's a showcase for recent Jewels of the Week. If that is indeed the purpose and if it highlighted the past 4 JOTWs (content changing every week), would you still have an objection, @marymm @Calliecake ?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL now also appearing in Rocky Talky ... note the "Featured Topic" listed is actually a SMTB thread ...

PSAdmin, if you want to showcase your JOTW threads, why not create a new special JOTW subforum just for those?

1630952752493.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree @marymm as I don't see the need. Also, many people coming here aren't coming to look at JOTW but for information and questions. If that is the first thing they see it may push new people away, especially since JOTW's are usually pretty impressive pieces. It might intimidate new people and make them think their questions/jewelry/stones are not deserving to be the subject of a post. If the featured topics won't always be JOTW, and perhaps the most active threads instead, regardless of topic, then I might feel differently. Maybe it should be "question of the week" and be more about the most informational threads?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone , I would not want a newcomer to feel uncomfortable posting in SMTB if their diamond wasn’t the size or specs of some of the JOTW pieces. We have heard a few people say that their jewelry wasn’t worthy. Jewelry doesn’t have to be perfect to be loved. I like the idea of Pricescope being open to all jewelry lovers. I also love the stories of those just starting their lives together.

These are just my thoughts Molly.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
IMHO it is starting to get google-ad-y in the sense that now I barely read the titles of the first 8 threads in each of the forums.

On the other hand sometimes I’ll see an old discussion thread that I think would be interesting to talk about but it is two years old so I don’t want to bump it randomly but I don’t want to be redundant and start a new one.

This is requiring way too much thought. It’s hard enough being socially awkward in real life.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sidestepping the why conversation because that requires more thought than I can manage right now - @marymm @Calliecake @Lookinagain @oncrutchesrightnow anyone else who prefers not to see it - it's easy to hide.

Click on your username at the top of any forum page:
1631343456047.png

Click "Account details":
1631343021260.png

Scroll down a bit on the page that comes up and find the "Hide featured topics" checkbox - check it and Save:
1631343077648.png

Just as a general FYI - most fora operate this way, on hosted platforms, so if new #stuff shows up and you don't care for it there's often an option to disable whatever it is somewhere in your account settings.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results