shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather reaching girdle - where should prong be placed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I still love my 1.23 upgrade. The SI1 is extremely eye clean and hardly has any inclusions. However, there is a feather that reaches the girdle but doesn't break the surface. I can barely see it (I've only been able to see it a few times after it's been set).

I know that having a good insurance policy would give me peace of mind. However, I don't have it insured (yet??)! My FI doesn't think it's worth paying hundreds a year in case of an accident. I'm still undecided.

Below are some pictures of the diagram on the GIA cert.

The feather is at the 6 o'clock (or 12 o'clock) position. The prong hides about half of the feather (the right half) so the part of the feather reaching the girdle is still visible (to the left of the prong).

My question is where should the prong be placed so it can try to protect the feather/girdle from getting knocked? Is it placed correctly right now?

Thanks!

1.23.plot.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
close up

1.23.plot.2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my appraiser told me that feathers that reach the girdle can be placed right next to the prong because the prong tends to protect that area right next to it...chances are it''d be harder to hit the area RIGHT next to a prong tip because you''d hit the prong instead most times. i would think not putting the feather under the prong made sense as you may not want pressure on it. the way my first stone was, there was a very tiny feather that reached the girdle and it was set right next to a prong.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara. Yeah, I read that you shouldn''t have the prong directly over where the feather reaches the girdle becuase you do not want pressure on it.

Should the prong be directly to the LEFT of the feather? Or is it okay where it is? Any expert opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results