shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather in a Sapphire - Flaw?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Hi all - am looking at a beautifully cut and colored natural sapphire, but it does have a vertical feather visible through a 10x loupe (on the side, not face up). It seems fairly minor, but I know that in a diamond this is considered a flaw. Is this true in a sapphire? The dealer does not consider this a flaw in the stone, and it is priced at par with clean stones of similar color and quality. Thoughts on this?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large is this feather? It does not break the surface of the stone, correct? As it is only viewable under 10x loupe and cannot be seen from the table view, it is considered eye clean and as such, not discounted for clarity issues.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dave, colored stones are not judged with a loop. For the most part they are looked at for their color and beauty. If you need a loop to find a minor flaw, then that''s a pretty darn nice stone.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono and Gene - the feather is at the bottom of the stone, seems internal , but is visible at 10x. Curious as to why this would not be considered a flaw versus a clean gem of the same color and quality. Doesn''t this potentially weaken the structure?

DavidT

Rough_Rock
I guess my question is: Wouldn''t you want the same stone *without* the feather for the same per carat price?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
why would it be the same price per carat w/o the feather? i''d guess it would be more per carat.

mz

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Of course you would want the stone without that inclusion, but if you can''t see it without magnification it''s really of small concern. A flaw ? Well only in the sense that the stone isn''t perfect, but then those are few and far between. If you look closely enough all natural stones have some sort of inclusion or other imperfection. Typically these sorts of small fractures are continuations of surface pits or fractures that were caused from damage that the stone may have received over the millions of years it spent rolling down some river. They are often just left in the stone because if they were removed, the stone would be much smaller. No, it doesn''t weaken the structure from a jewelry wearing perspective since it is not in a location that will ever see any stresses. If it were right at the girdle and angled in such a way as to make the stone more easily chipped, then yes it is more serious and would cause you to think twice about buying the stone. If it were right in the center of the table and obvious without magnification it would devalue the stone, but if it is not obvious and doesn''t detract from the beauty of the stone then it doesn''t reduce the value.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Erm......please explain that one to a newb...the more inclusions the better? I understand silk, but this is a feather.

Thanks Michael - good explaination, I was responding to MZ's post.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:41:15 AM
Author: DavidT
Erm......please explain that one to a newb...the more inclusions the better? I understand silk, but this is a feather.

Thanks Michael - good explaination, I was responding to MZ's post.
MZ is saying that in your example, the IF stone would be more expensive because it's more rare. The feathered stone would be slightly less expensive, but really, that is quite rare too.

From your question it sounds as though you have come to colored stones from the world of diamonds. Well it's a whole different ballgame over here, and the same rules that apply to diamonds DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT apply to colored stones.

Color is king in colored stones. Clarity, cut and carat weight come way after color, and depending on the poster and the stone, it can be WAAAAAAAY after color.

Take me for instance, cut is weighed far more than clarity, and carat weight doesn't matter at all if the color is amazing. Find me an electric blue sapphire of any clarity, any small size (this is because of budget), and any cut, and I'm going to lust after it.
2.gif

Other posters opinions vary widely. This I know.
11.gif

ETA: basically, inclusions are not thought of as much of a detriment at all around here. In fact, some people like them because it makes the stone easier to identify, and it makes it easier for someone to determine treatments. Welcome to Colored Stones!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Coloured Stones are graded according to how they look to the naked eye. Diamonds are graded using a 10x loupe. So, a stone that has a feather you can see with a loupe but not with the naked eye can have the same clarity grading as a stone with nothing under a loupe.

In addition, Coloured Stones are clarity graded according to type. Aquamarine is generally pretty inclusion free, emerald is not. A VS2 Aqua is a very different type of beast from a VS2 Emerald. You are always comparing apples to oranges otherwise.

Plus, Coloured Stone + Loupe Clean = I''m instantly suspicious until proved otherwise. Inclusions in a CS, as long as they don''t detract from the beauty of the stone are both identifiers of that particular stone and of certain types can indicate natural versus synthetic, or treatments versus no treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very rare to get a very finely coloured blue sapphire that is also very clean under 10x loupe, so it will be priced more to a comparably coloured blue sapphire that has inclusions that can only be seen under 10x loupe. No, as long as it doesn’t break the surface or is close to the girdle, it doesn’t affect its structural integrity. Pandora has explained about how clarity grading is done for coloured gemstones very well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 2:00:35 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 3/9/2010 12:41:15 AM
Author: DavidT

Thanks Michael - good explaination, I was responding to MZ''s post.
MZ is saying that in your example, the IF stone would be more expensive because it''s more rare. The feathered stone would be slightly less expensive, but really, that is quite rare too.

ETA: basically, inclusions are not thought of as much of a detriment at all around here. In fact, some people like them because it makes the stone easier to identify, and it makes it easier for someone to determine treatments. Welcome to Colored Stones!
exactly on both accounts.

the world of color stones is much more complicated and can be as expensive as....even more expensive...than the world of diamonds.

mz

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input and education, all. Lots of good information.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
To all that responded to my question, based on your responses, here is the sapphire I have purchased. This is the one with the feather I was hesitant about, but thanks to your education I went for it!

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/12852

So far, Ed Bristol has been great to work with and he has been very responsive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty blue sapphire but it will require a custom setting because of the very deep 87% depth which will most likely not fit in the standard settings.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
I am hoping it will fit. If not, I do have a 5 day return. It''s one of those "won''t know ''til I get it".

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I''m also looking forward to your review of the stone versus Ed''s pictures as I''ve never purchased from him before.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great color! do not discount having a custom mounting made.....sometimes its very economical. depth of stone often gives excellent color and this may be one of those stones.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results