shape
carat
color
clarity

favorite place to live?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn't going to say it, but changed my mind. Albuquerque, NM!!!

It is beautiful; we have WONDERFUL weather all year, honest. We don't have too extreme changes in the weather. We are the high desert so it doesn't get as hot.

We have the MOST amazing Blue sky's!
30.gif
We have incredible views! It is an adventurists Nirvana for hiking, biking, rock climbing and rollerblading! It is wonderful because you only have to drive 30 mins and you are out of the city. I love that it very diverse!

We are the host to the International Balloon Fiesta; thousands and thousands of balloons fly our beautiful sky's!!!!

It truly is wonderful!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, you totally make me want to see it for myself...and if those balloon shots were yours, you should submit them and get paid for it, they would make the most amazing brochure photos and make people want to come and see them in person! (not that you want more crowds but...)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 12:19:36 AM
Author: diamondfan
Skippy, you totally make me want to see it for myself...and if those balloon shots were yours, you should submit them and get paid for it, they would make the most amazing brochure photos and make people want to come and see them in person! (not that you want more crowds but...)
no not mine, sorry; they are prints. You should come during the balloon fiesta; hotels are always sold out months in advance but it is truly spectacular. Of all the things I have seen in my life the balloon fiesta does not cease to amaze me each year, honest!!! Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 2:45:10 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux

The penthouse is for sale.

I hadn''t heard about that. Living there would really be a dream come true!
Or is it the penthouse of the Sherry Netherlands?
33.gif
Either way, it''s a triplex replete with a ballroom!

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
New Zealand, Wellington and Nelson. Went to boarding school there, will retire there.

For now, or in the U.S., Asheville, NYC, SF. Those are my favorites of where I've lived.
10.gif

tangoecho

Rough_Rock
I''ve lived in the following areas:

Seattle, Wa (and the outlying suburbs)
Houston, Tx
Boise, Idaho
East Anglia, England
Phoenix, Az

My favorite is Seattle. I love most everything about it except for the traffic. I even loved the rain. Maybe cuz I grew up there it has a special place in my heart. And Seattle on a clear sunny day is magical.

Second favorite place is Boise, Idaho. It has the absolute best weather - cold and snow in winter (but not too much snow or cold), heat and sunny in the summer. Tons of outdoor activities and the river running through the city and the tens of miles of greenbelt to walk, bike, or jog was wonderful. Charming downtown.

Least favorite - Phoenix. I got tired of the non stop sun though the heat wasn''t too bothersome. It was always wake up, look outside and say "not another f**king beautiful day".
6.gif

Picos

Rough_Rock
Suburb of New Orleans, LA
Suburb of Houston, TX
Suburb of The Hague, Netherlands
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Inner Loop, Houston, TX

After moving round Houston, I can say it really does matter where you live in Houston! I love living in a big city; it's quite city-like but still Texas. Granted, it's not my favourite place (that would be the Netherlands...rain 24/7, good food, good public transport, BBC) but I love it...most of the time!

It's wicked diverse, best weather (humid, rainy, sunny, chilly, 100+, you can feel the sun baking), MLS soccer, etc.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 3:13:20 PM
Author: Picos
After moving round Houston, I can say it really does matter where you live in Houston! I love living in a big city; it''s quite city-like but still Texas. Granted, it''s not my favourite place (that would be the Netherlands...rain 24/7, good food, good public transport, BBC) but I love it...most of the time!

It''s wicked diverse, best weather (humid, rainy, sunny, chilly, 100+, you can feel the sun baking), MLS soccer, etc.
Did I understand you right? That Houston has the best weather?! I didn''t want to offend anyone by stating my least favorite, but if you look at my list, Houston is the one place I never want to live again!!! And it''s only because of the weather and the bugs!!! LOL. It''s funny what some people like and some people don''t.
2.gif
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG, I say that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors, if we all wanted to be in the same place it would be a bit crowded!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, not many people I know, even in the Main Line, give balls! (that sounds odd) I might turn it into my closet, though! jk ,sort of...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 3:26:07 PM
Author: diamondfan
FG, I say that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors, if we all wanted to be in the same place it would be a bit crowded!!!!
I agree. I just never thought of Houston''s weather as its selling point!! In the winter, sure, but the summer....ugh.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have lived in the Washington DC area (my hometown), Philly, and Atlanta. Out of them all I love DC! It''s so diverse and conviently located to NY, Philly and the beaches (MD,DE,NJ). However if I had to choose an ideal place to live it would be Scottsdale, AZ. Even with the summer heat I love AZ! I am immediately relaxed everytime I go out there. Coming in 2nd would be San Diego because the place is jut gorgeous. The one thing stopping me is the traffic and the cost of living. I know DC has a very bad traffic situation, but I think SD is worse!?!? Am I wrong on that?

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I mostly lurk but am diving in on this one!

I''ve lived in San Diego; Carmel, CA; Chico, CA; Charlotte, NC; Greensboro, NC and Virginia Beach, VA

I always thought of San Diego (well Coronado island in San Diego) as home and was so upset my parents moved us away. Now that I''m back in SD after NC, I''m sick of the traffic, cost of living, etc etc and really miss VA and NC!

But Carmel (Monterey bay area) was wonderful and it''s my favorite.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 8:09:35 PM
Author: surfgirl

Shut UP Pandora! I''ve spent quite a bit of time working in Kiribati, including Tarawa and the Outer Islands of the Gilberts! Not too many folks ever been there. Horrible pollution and yeah, when you go there global warming is a reality. They''ve lost several small islands already. Sad.
Oh wow - when were you there Surfgirl? Kona mauri!

I was there from 1976 to 1981 and lived in Bikenibu. I remember going for picnics on Bikeman Island which I hear is now totally submerged. It was a wonderful place when I was there and I was spoilt rotten by everyone. Then it was so safe for children my parents let us run pretty wild. I remember my parents got burgled once and the man took a bottle of whisky - he was caught at a bus stop and we got the bottle back (my parents still have it with an Exhibit A label on it!) and my dad paid his fare back to his own island. It was the main news story on the radio for 2 days!

I had loads of friends of all nationalities out there. I spoke pretty good gilbertese as a child but don''t remember much anymore. The only outer island I really remember well is Abemama where we went for a holiday one year.

I can still taste some of the wonderful crayfish we sometimes had and the "te bun" shellfish. Mmmmm.

I was devastated when my parents moved back to the UK and have never really liked cold weather! FI wanted to take me back but I''m too scared that it will ruin my wonderful memories.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it''s New Orleans. It''s home to me.

I like the DC area, where I am now, a lot, but New Orleans is home.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve lived in a big city in Southeastern, VA ... Orlando & Miami, Florida ... Brooklyn, NY ... Chelsea & Greenwich Village & WTC areas in NYC, NY .... and, now, NY''s Hudson Valley.

It is a TOUGH CALL for faves. If I was to pick a fave - I''m afraid it might be more about the time of my life, or the PEOPLE in the neigh at the same time etc ... but I guess it would be Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn. Though I have to say I''ve loved almost everywhere I''ve ever lived -- with the exception of Orlando. By FAR my *least* fave. (And funnily enough, a good friend of mine lived there at the same time before we knew each other ... she HATED it too!)

Places I''ve visited that I thought would be AWESOME to "try out" living there:

Austin, TX
San Fran, CA
Portofino, Italy
Paris, France
Stowe, Vermont
Charlottesville, VA
Dingle, Ireland

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
I have lived in the following places:

Ft. Worth, TX
Panama City Beach, FL
Pensacola, FL
Oak Creek (suburb of Milwaukee), WI
Irvine, CA
Wichita, KS
Newburgh, NY
Delray Beach, FL (south FL, just north of Ft. Lauderdale)
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Not entirely sure where I would choose as my favorite as they all have distinctive wonderful memories from my life.. I guess if I had to choose.. it would be Panama City Beach FL.. no, there isnt much to do there.. but the people are sooo wonderful.. and hey.. if I can live on a remote island in the Caribbean.. I can take back woods Florida! and its very close to my FAVE spot on earth... Seaside FL... (GAWD knows I''ll never be able to live IN Seaside..so I''ll take right next door thank you!)

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I <3 Philly.
9.gif

I am still VERY attached to my hometown (Hershey) and had an amazing childhood and amazing friends from there, but I really do feel "at home" in Philly now. I lived in Virginia for college and got tired of the south after 4 years (there is some good, some bad)... then London for a semester (best time of my life, but $$$$)... then Philly for grad school in 2002 and I''ve been here ever since.

I''m within 2 hours of all my family and extended family, almost all our best friends live in this area, and it''s incredibly convenient to NYC, DC and the beach. Cost of living is not horrible compared to other East Coast cities, and something about the city just wins you over... it''s very "walkable" and there''s a ton of history in all the old stone buildings. Plus our apartment is on Rittenhouse Square, which is hands-down my favorite place in the world.

At some point we''ll head out to the ''burbs, but for now... I couldn''t be more content.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results