shape
carat
color
clarity

favorite percale sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I prefer percale over sateen. For those percale sheet lovers, which are your favorite sheets?

Also, any preferences in mattress pads (around $100 range)? There seem to be so many kinds. We have an all cotton pad, but thinking of getting a thicker one but not sure of pros, cons of different types of pads.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m also a fan of percale for the same reasons as you are part gypsy. I haven''t purchased any in the last couple years though...recently I found some Martex 400 TC sateen sheets at BB&B because the hand was just so nice, they have a little checkerboard pattern and are heftier than any sateen sheets I''ve ever felt. DH absolutely loves them and I do too...but I think it''s all due to the weight of them and the fact that they don''t wrinkle as much as sateen usually does. Um, Martha Stewart makes nice percale sheets, and I used to get percale from Stein Mart just their 250 TC solid colored ones which were nice and crisp and never shrank. Have you ever tried Pottery Barn''s? I never have but I hear they are nice and very durable. Sorry I''m not more helpful...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and forgot to mention mattress pads...we finally gave up on mattress pads and got a down featherbed type thing for $100 from Marshall Fields before it turned into Macy''s last year. Love it! Maybe it was $200, I can''t remember. Anyway, it''s baffled (so box shaped instead of rounded) and even though we have a pillow top mattress it adds another dimension of softness which is nice.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so funny you mentioned Martha Stewart brand. That was my favorite set of sheets. They weren''t that expensive but were smooth but not prone to wrinkling, got softer with washing, didn''t pill, etc.

For the featherbed, can you put it in the washer? Also, does it shift alot or does it stay in place?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arrgh! I had ordered 2 sheets of twill sheets over the weekend, and had emailed the company to confirm that twill was a kind of percale (it was listed in the percale sheets, and also described as "not your ordinary percale") because wanted percale sheets. Well thy didn''t respond to my email. Finally got ahold of them on phone, and apparently twill is not the same thing as percale (looser weave) but order has not shipped but in warehouse, so can''t change order. So, they will ship to me and I will have to turn around and ship them back (at my expense). Feel stupid. Was going to switch order to percale sheets through them, but now not going to. Another store (The company store) has a linen sale after the first of the year so if I can hold out till then, maybe will do that.
7.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Martha''s sheets used to be yummy when I first started buying them at Wal-Mart, maybe 12 years ago? I remember having them in high school, going away to college and then using them in my apartments after I did my year''s time in the dorm, lol. I still have them, they''ve lasted forever! I haven''t purchased any by her since she started selling them through Macy''s, though...

The featherbed we have is down filled, and not machine washable, unfortunately. Since we got it two years ago I have taken it outside for a really good shaking out and hanging in the fresh air about 6-7 times, and I spot clean it. The cover isn''t removeable because it''s quilted to keep the innards from shifting. It doesn''t move around a lot but I have to fluff it every day when I make the bed, otherwise there are body dents, hee hee.

Twill weave is probably used for durability of the sheets you "accidentally" ordered. Twill weave is used a lot in denim and khaki pants, or work pants as they used to be known. Definitely not as "crisp" as percale but maybe a little more durable, probably good for those who let pets sleep with them or wash them more frequently.

I seem to remember that Kohl''s has the Dockers line of bedding, and I believe they offer percale sheets for a good price point, you might look into those...otherwise Linens N Things, etc. Oh, and Tommy Bahama sells bedding through Macy''s now, I haven''t tried TB bedding yet but that''s a brand of pretty high quality and not uber expensive, maybe that''s a possibility.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love The Company Store. I am not sure about their feather beds but my down comforter from them is washable. For sheets I seem to ahve good luck at stores like Marshall''s/home goods/TJ Maxx.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I''ll check those places out. I know I''ll like the Company store sheets but they will run $80-90 (not including shipping). What should I expect to pay for say 250 tc percale sheets at those other stores?

For a mattress pad got a cotton cover with cluster fiber filled, quilted. Supposed to be like artificial down, and mimic a pillow top.
See how it is.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
They have sales all the time (I must be on their mailing since I have ordered them before) Not sure where you live but they have an outlet store in WI.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 10:18:50 PM
Author: monarch64
Oh, and forgot to mention mattress pads...we finally gave up on mattress pads and got a down featherbed type thing for $100 from Marshall Fields before it turned into Macy's last year. Love it! Maybe it was $200, I can't remember. Anyway, it's baffled (so box shaped instead of rounded) and even though we have a pillow top mattress it adds another dimension of softness which is nice.
We have a feather bed cover too, called a Cuddleewe underquilt. It is SO soft and wonderful to sleep on. Like a giant pillow.

It was a bit pricey, though, since we have a king bed. . .
http://www.cuddleewe.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2007 10:32:13 AM
Author: part gypsy
Maybe I''ll check those places out. I know I''ll like the Company store sheets but they will run $80-90 (not including shipping). What should I expect to pay for say 250 tc percale sheets at those other stores?

For a mattress pad got a cotton cover with cluster fiber filled, quilted. Supposed to be like artificial down, and mimic a pillow top.
See how it is.
Pricing will obviously depend on the size of your bed/sheets as well...I think I''ve paid less than $100 for every set of sheets I''ve purchased for our king size mattress. The last percale set I bought included flat, fitted, and 2 pc''s for ~$70 and that was just two years ago. The thicker sateen set I broke down and bought with the lovely checker pattern was $89 and change with tax...we just love those after only a couple months. It''s like having the softness of percale after many washings and the durability because it''s a thicker hand. (Hand meaning the feel of the fabric itself.) Not like regular ol'' sateen, ya know?

Your mattress pad w/ cotton cover sounds great, also it must be machine washable since it''s cotton and synthetic, right? Where did you find it, if you don''t mind sharing?

MC, the featherbeds are fabulous, it''s like a hug from the bed every night when we lay down on it. I just love it, we got a mattress that even with a pillow top ended up being far too firm, it was a hasty decision (long story) and we haven''t made finding a great new mattress a priority yet but in the meantime the featherbed is fitting the bill for sure. We love it!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC that wool mattress cover looks very comfortable. I know wool pads are used in nursing homes to cushion and prevent skin breakdown, but the ones I was seeing were pricey.

Monarch the pad I ordered is called "enhancer mattress pad" from linensource.
http://www.linensource.com/default.aspx?page=productdetails&pattern=EMX&sender=csearch

I haven''t received it yet but yes it supposed to be machine washable which I like.
We have a low end sealy, which has good support but it''s not a pillow top.

Since I''m busy and lazy I''m thinking of giving the twill bedding a shot. I''m going to wash and try the pillow covers; if I like them, I''ll keep the rest, otherwise will return. They were $50 a set so not a huge huge investment.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to give everyone an update. Again little hands getting into the package made the return slip disappear. Ideally I would have contacted them for another return form, shipped it back, started over again with research etc. Needless to say I didn''t do that. My impression the twill is smooth and crisp, just not as soft as percale, perhaps a bit "colder". But they seem like they will hold up well and probably keep getting softer.

Finally got the mattress topper yesterday and tried it. It is artificial down so not as light and fluffy as regular down, really more in between a down topper and a fabric stuffed topper. The bed definitely feels different. I normally use 2 pillows, a flat pillow and a down pillow, but with the mattress topper it was more comfortable just using 1 pillow otherwise head felt too high. It took awhile to fall asleep, but when I got up this morning I feel very rested. Also no problem with arm falling asleep, losing circulation in limbs, hip joints aching. However hubby is not bought on it as he says "it''s too soft, it feels like a hotel bed." Duh. Basically he likes firm beds with alot of support that "push back" at him. But he will give it a try for me.

Basically I''m trying to be more accepting. Normally I would obsess about the sheets not being perfect, or perhaps this isn''t the ideal mattress pad, but as I cannot return them, will look on the positives. My hubby also said well if you don''t like the bed why don''t we buy a new bed. But our bed is not yet worn out and if we bought a new bed he still does not want to get a pillow top, so here we are.

I guess if he really can''t get used to the softness, I wonder, is there any mattress pads that give extra cushioning but also "push back", if that makes sense? Probably not, but thought I''d ask.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I knew I wasn''t crazy (or at least others are the same crazy as me
1.gif
)
I am tempted to after the year Company Store clearance sale to spring for another set of sheets.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 7:50:47 PM
Author: part gypsy
Ha! I knew I wasn''t crazy (or at least others are the same crazy as me
1.gif
)

I am tempted to after the year Company Store clearance sale to spring for another set of sheets.

I am telling you, the have sales ALL the time! I *LOVE* their down comforters too (if you are in the market).

sheena

Rough_Rock
I like the Queen Waterbed Percale Sheets 200TC New which you can found on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results