shape
carat
color
clarity

Fashion help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I have 2 weddings next month. One of them is back "home" where I went to high school. And well, let's just say that while my conscious mind knows I don't have anything to prove to these people, I want to look stunning. And successful, etc. (I did not have a great time in high school).

I've actually never been to a wedding, so I don't know what to wear and I have nothing to wear...I have a few dressy tops/blouses but most of my dress clothes say "academic professional" not "gorgeous wedding guest." Both weddings are in the evening (6PM) with the receptions at 7-8PM, and are semiformal/formal.

I'd like a dress that I can wear to multiple weddings, since I am on a limited budget, and that will also work as a date dress. So I'm thinking black, yes? And well-made but not over 150-200.

The main problem is, dresses usually don't fit me. And this is where the "fashion help" comes in. I'm about 5'8, 135-138, very long-waisted, and hourglassy (37/27/39). For whatever reason I haven't been able to find a dress style that works consistently. Either the top fits/bottom is baggy, bottom fits/top gets the dreaded "gapes," or the whole thing just sits funny because I am so long waisted.

Pleeeeeease style and especially specific BRAND suggestions would be so so helpful!

I'll post a picture to help get an idea of what might look good.

ETA: One thing I do know: I have a little bit of curve to the tummy--just enough that very thin jersey knits don't really work. Thicker knits sometimes do, though, but I don't find many around... Also, any sort of seaming around the bustline never sits where it is supposed to...I have 2 shirtdresses that work but they are not dressy enough for a wedding.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
This is me around last october, I''ve lost a bit of weight since then but it shouldn''t make a difference. Sorry for the blurriness, this was the only full length pic in my files, hopefully it will help.

thanksgiving.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....while I like the idea of that first one I don''t know that I''ve got enough spunk to pull off that bow!
Might be worth a try on, though.

I love that second one, but I think you have to be able to get away with no bra or a strapless bra, and that ain''t happening.... Actually, a question--is that level of sexy generally appropriate for a wedding (like I said, I have no idea
33.gif
)

Thanks!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d say try this

dressforrainbow.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Or this.

With your figure you want to try for something that nips in at the waist to show your figure but then flares out to an A-line to then show off your legs and not be too sexy. Also (and I''m sure you know) make sure the straps are wide enough for a bra.

You and I basically have the same shape, so these are dresses I would consider. (I actually considered the first dress for the wedding I went to in July, just in a different colour.)

dressforrainbow222222.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2007 5:44:30 AM
Author:rainbowtrout

I''d like a dress that I can wear to multiple weddings, since I am on a limited budget, and that will also work as a date dress. So I''m thinking black, yes? And well-made but not over 150-200.
I think this is perfect. If you get a simple enough one, it can be dressed up or down. Everyone should have at least one of these in their closet!

Here''s a good selection to give you an idea, there''s several that would be perfect.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc?CategoryID=27227&PageID=27227*1*24*-1*-1&kw=Little%20Black%20Dress&LinkType=EverGreen

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This isn''t black, but it might work with your curves
Coral at Nordies

This one works for summer, and wrap dresses tend to be more adaptable in their fit.

This Tadashi has potential and allwos for normal bra wearage

Pretty! so elegant and adaptable!

cap sleeve v-neck

silk chiffon v-neck

And finally the J Crew silk sophia in Navy. This is the tall version. I have the chiffon version of this dress and have gotten pelnty of wear out of it. And the top is accomodating for the bustier gals. Besides, navy is the new black. Also in long.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think that blue one is too sexy but it''s relative i guess...as for the bra thing, can you get the tape things for braless kind of dresses....or the convertible bra that dips really low in the front from VS. but yes i can hardly pull off those crossover dresses either because while my chest isn''t huge, it''s not exactly super perky hehee. so i need some support typically to really make clothes look their best.

with your long waist you are the perfect candidate for showing it off, i love the idea of the empire style dresses with something emphasizing your long waist...it will elongate you and make you look slimmer as well (not like you need it, your measurements are great). i personally like color rather than black, i know most people feel like black is a classic color but i don''t like wearing it to weddings. i would go with a dark color like a burgundy or similar over a black..so that it at least has more wearability for ''festive'' occasions. thought that one with the bow is super cute because it pops and looks festive with the bow vs straight black sheath. you COULD always jazz up a black dress with champagne strappy heels and a champagne cashmere wrap or something as well. OR get a black dress that lets you use different color ties at the waist or something so you can make your own kind of look. this might work with something like a straight sheath but in a lighter material that will belt well. you can do your own thing with super thick ribbons or fabrics or scarves as well.

have fun...!!! i hate shopping for dresses personally as i am not really a dress girl but love them on others. i have found one or two that work for me but overall i still have a hard time finding them...nevermind something classic.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i really love that green dress. where is it from....
11.gif
i may need to cook up a formalish place to go
11.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm. While the goal was not to have to buy a bra for the dress (extra $50) I may have to end up buying a plunge bra with some of those necklines! May be worth it though
31.gif
Perhaps I could get FI to partially fund such an acquisition.

Mara I will have to try something with an empire waist, I never have thought to do so, for some reason I always thought it would make me look pregnant? An empire waist hits right under the bustline, right, so how does it elongate the waist? I must investigate further!

Princess: Right-o. A-line and nipped waist. Good to remember.
Where are those two frocks from, please?

OK, I LOVE that Tadashi Mercoledi. I just don''t know if the bust seaming would hit *under* my chest and not in the middle of it.

At least in New York I will have lots of options, although only a week to find the dress after I get home (1st wedding is on the 9th!)

Thank you for the compliments, I enjoy my curves....until I have to buy new clothes!!!! Then I want to be one of my model-thin friend who can wear *everything.* Pfft.
20.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Rainbow...you are a cutie!

If you asked a friend what style you are ...how would they answer? What would the expected weather be for your region?

DKS

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
YOWZA! Great bod. I know what you mean about the empire waist thing. I LOVE them and love how they look, but everytime I put something on that doesn''t skim my curves FI says ''NIX!''

Two sites to check out: www.maxstudio.com and www.bluefly.com

Lots of yummy dresses around that price point.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
LOL DKS....mmmmmm "slightly wrinkled with a tendancy to drop food on herself" ??? Hence the thread
3.gif
Um, if you look in the picture, you can see where I spilled something on my jeans
14.gif

Expected weather---Alabama in October.....hmmm, probably low 70s with the occasional day in the 80s?

I'm not really sure, honestly. I know that my personality tends towards more classic, strong-looking stuff with a touch of slink.

www.maxstudio.com, will have to check that out, thanks IG!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think both are from Nordstrom''s. I know the first one is about $150, so even if you had to buy a $50 bra, you''d stay in your $200 budget. :)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Fish babe...You and I are similar shapes. I am about 5"8", but I am only an 1/2* hour glass
37.gif
, and I have a very long torso. And like Indy, I also love the empire waist things...I can't wear them. I look PREGGO let go of my eggo! My hubby also nixes them. Actually he really does NIX them. As in Stevie Nix...Fleetwood Mac...anything that isn't flattering that was he says!

I am more classic than trendy, but not old fashioned. I do like Banana conservative lines over White House revealing necklines. I like sheath dresses that are boat neck, or v neck. Also I really like wrap dresses. With an hourglass figure it is your waist that sets the off hourglass. It would be a shame to squelch it in a tent design. So I say go for a waist detailed dress. You will find wrap dresses in many different fabrics...silk, wools, and there is also Jersey knit that will allow you to remedy the hang issue you were mentioning. The wrap will draw attention to your waist. You can cinch it in to custom fit you...with pinning the top where you need it to fall. It really is a great non alteration design. Very feminine. Many say Jersey isn't dressy enough, but with your figure, it will have va va vavoom
30.gif
!!! You can pull it off. If you were a frumpy shape I would say NAY to jersey. Or you can just look for a silk type of fabric.

You may also look into one that is cinched at the waist say on one side (non wrap). Your silhouette will be curvy and you will look confident when you see your curves getting all the glory.

Banana has a wrap and a cinched Jersey now, but the website image doesn't do it justice. It is black. If you have decided on another color that wouldn't be right for you. I found one at dillards and some more waist conscience stuff at Macys.

The reason I encourage you to go black is it's versatility. You aren't used to dresses...and being this is new to you...Black will boost your confidence as everyone looks slimmer and sleeker in black. (NOT THAT YOU NEED THAT...you look perfect...) But it does allow your shape more umphf!! That is why we women adore our LBD!!! And you can wear it anywhere.

Another undergarment to consider is Spanx. If you can find a dress that is economical...and you have room in your budget, go try it on with spanx. I haven't tried it yet, but my sil swears by the stuff. I know you didn't want to buy a new bra...so the spanx wasn't even on the radar screen...just wanted to give you the idea in case you are out, find the dress, but need a little gathering up underneath it
2.gif
. Oh the wrap dress design should give you the option to wear what ever bra you want. If that is important to you!

Just a little more options from my view...for you to think about!

DKS

I do like that first one Sophie found...See how it details the waist?

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I third, fourth the wrap dress idea!! It emphasizes the waist and you can wear any bra you want (i.e. minimizer etc.)

I also have a curvy figure, and people always claim that empire waist is so flattering. However, unless you get something custom made, I''ve found almost ALL empire waist dresses don''t fit my chest properly, and look out of shape/matronly.

Another thing to try is these "sack" dresses that are really popular right now. I thought I''d have the same problem as I do with empire waist dresses, but I''ve actually found these dresses flatter my figure.
Because they don''t emphasize the chest or waist, but emphasize your arms and legs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry RT i meant an empire line dress but with a waist emphasis like the sash or a band or similar....that would be fab on a long waisted gal. also, what about those new bubble dresses that are popular...kind of along the same lines of what peridot was saying.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DKS, I tend to agree with you about going for the waist-nipping designs, assuming one fits. I look like I'm in maternity clothes with the tent dresses since my arms a teeny bit chubby, not all long and lean ;-) Hmmm...I've never tried on a wrap dress either, shall have to go for it! I agree about the black boosting confidence, the only other color I might try is a deep blue-red because its my favorite (not as flexible though). Spanx, eh? Might be a nice safeguard to sucking in the tummy all evening ( I usually hold in my stomach because I was taught its good posture, but there's holding in and then HOLDING in if yanno what I mean :razz:)

I'm kind of in a phase right now of trying to dress better and show off my figure after years of nothing at all low cut, etc, because I just don't want to deal with it. Have a few new shirts dedicated to the cause....I think I finally got old enough to get over the "oh no! what if a man looks at my chest!" phase haha. I think it was Morocco--trial by fire, American men seem like cuddly wittle teddy bears now.

I tried on 2 possible dresses yesterday and they both looked...wrong. Boo. One was empire waisted..it was ALMOST cute but the top just didn't quite sit right somehow...argh. Other one's waist hit too high.

Mara I have a nightgown a little like what you are saying, very Greek-godess-y lines. Never seen a dress with it but I'll keep an eye out!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
What do you ladies think of this one?
Description:

# • Color: Red
# • Lightweight matte jersey knit
# • Crossover v-neck and sleeveless
# • Pleated neck and bodice
# • Overlapping jersey layered skirt
# • Fully lined
# • Rear invisible zip closure
# • Asymmetrical hemline
# • Size S measures 22'''' - 29'''' long from natural waist
# • Approximate measurements vary by size

reddress.jpeg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Could I wear it with black pumps? I have 1 pair black pumps and some ballet flats my mother didn't want anymore...I think I may have a pair of black strappy evening sandals somewhere...

However I'm a little leery of ordering online! Any ways to make sure I don't get a terrible looking fit?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Or this Tadashi mercoledi pointed out: (I am worried about the bust line hitting in the wrong place though...wonder how to tell)

blackdress.jpeg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I think the red dress would go much better with strappy sandals than with pumps. It''s a very girly flirty dress, and pumps say ''I''m all business'' instead of ''I''m all kitten''.
27.gif

I love the idea of you wearing a bright fun colour. That will send all the right messages to the old high school crowd: that you''re fun, confident, and interesting as a grown woman. There''s no stopping a woman in a red dress!
3.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Rainbow...

That black one would have a very flattering effect. Don''t nix jersey necklines...until you try them on. Unlike other fabrics...you will have surplice of material to stretch/cover. And always take a little safety pin with you. One hidden in the critical spot will do wonders. When you are ready to wear it...use double sticky tape so you won''t worry about it at all. It won''t budge.

One piece of advice on this type of style is make sure you don''t buy too small. You want it lay with extra material available. Not stretched to extreme. Too small and you end up looking like a working gal...just right you will appear as the designer intended. I do think this style would address your fit issues as you first mentioned in your post.

In your photo your coloring is hard to interpret. Are you a testarossa? What color are your eyes?

DKS

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the green one Princess posted. It is elegant and sexy and yet looks like it would fit well, so you would be comfortable. A gorgeous sandal and some great earrings, maybe even a pretty bracelet...you would be all set. I would not likely do a necklace with that type of neckline.

I think you have a great figure, what bothers you may not be that major, but I totally get feeling conscious of certain things. I think that green dress, or something like it in black, would be amazing.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think that since both of your finalists are the same brand, they probably have the same amount of space in the chest. I hear ya on having that pesky empire seam creep up, but maybe the best bet is to buy a size up and have it taken in if necessary. I also think a dark purple or navy would suit your purposes just as well.

Are you in the states now? There has to be a Tadashi boutique in NY. Oh, and the black one is a little cheaper at Nordies and their shipping is ususally faster.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one comment RT if you are shopping on Bluefly, their size charts are really not accurate. you have to be familiar with the designer and how they build the clothing in order to buy successfully from Bluefly in my opinion...I have gotten a few things that should have fit me but def didn''t. now i only try to buy when i know how the designer sizes because i''ve tried their stuff on at a local store before or something. just a caveat. also both of those dresses, if too small will look definitely really too sexy and if too big will look silly. so a fit on a dress like either of those is super important.

one of the most flattering dresses i have recently seen on someone curvy was a black jersey/spandex material wrap dress with sleeves (but i''d go without sleeves or with cap sleeves for a dressier event) that wrapped at the chest, and banded at the waist and had a slight a-line to the knee. sleeves were kind of fluttery. it was a business event dress but it was very versatile.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 11:28:02 AM
Author: diamondfan
I LOVE the green one Princess posted. It is elegant and sexy and yet looks like it would fit well, so you would be comfortable. A gorgeous sandal and some great earrings, maybe even a pretty bracelet...you would be all set. I would not likely do a necklace with that type of neckline.

I think you have a great figure, what bothers you may not be that major, but I totally get feeling conscious of certain things. I think that green dress, or something like it in black, would be amazing.
Agreed on all counts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results