shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy shape old cuts -- are they unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
Hi -- newbie here, but longtime lurker. I have the say that I think I''ve found diamond heaven right here on earth (if there is such a thing!), admiring all the many different styles of diamond jewelry here on this forum. I could spend all day just in Show Me The Ring!

I have been collecting antique diamond jewelry for a few years now, and will soon be in the possession of an old marquise cut ring of a bit over 2 carats, M color and VS2 clarity. I have never been a marquise fan, but when I saw a picture of this ring, I knew I had to have it.

I actually prefer warmer stones, but I think that color does show more in a fancy cut like this one. However, on to my question: How unusual are fancy cut old stones? I know I have rarely seen them on eBay, or even places like Fay Cullen (ah, Fay Cullen!) When were stones like the one I''m getting cut?

I welcome your knowledge.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, OldCutLover! You sound like a person after my own heart! We need more antique jewelry nuts around here!

Could you post pictures of your treasures? I hope so! It really is fun to share here in ''diamond heaven''...where there is such an appreciative audience. Most "normal" people out there don''t ''get it''...

I don''t know how rare old fancy cuts are, I haven''t seen many. Maybe Oldminer will respond.

I used to have an old pendant (my daughter-in-law has it now) that featured a pear-shaped rose-cut diamond. She thought it was glass until in told her it was a diamond!
9.gif

Again...welcome! And you must post pictures...it''s the law!!
2.gif

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello oldcutlover
35.gif
glad you decided to come out of lurkdom to post!
36.gif

i don''t know the answer to your question about the rarity of old fancy cuts, but i hope you will post pictures of your marquise! we would love to see it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really old fancy cuts were only made from rough that was basically shaped that way or from parts that were cleaved off larger rough that just happened to become pear or marquise shaped rather than more round shaped. There were also briloettes made from whatever shape the rough was origionally in. They look like faceted balls or faceted drops. Old cut fancies were more accidental than intentional in the early days. Later period old cuts were intentionally shaped in pear, marquise or symmetrical briolette designs. Technology and experience allowed for making defined shapes.

They are not nearly as common as round or cushion, but don''t generally command premiums from any sort of marketable rarity.

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
I only have the photos the dealer had posted on eBay. I have long found that when things look less than ideal in photos (not as vibrant, dense in color), it''s often due to the large size of the photo as well as the photography itself -- and always looks far better in person.

In this case, my husband happened to be in the same city as the dealer this past week, so I had him go visit them in person at their place of business (they are located in a Chicago''s Diamond Exchange building.) Not only was he able to judge it in person (he said it was far more sparkly in person, and yellow rather than the brownish it is in the photographs), but he was also able to negotiate a much better price. They negotiated for more than 2.5 hours! My husband''s cousin came with him on this trip, and also ended up buying a ring (with a European cut stone of the same color, of about 1.85 carats). My husband and his cousin had nothing but high praise for these people, which is unusual coming from them. They''re two tough customers.

I would rather wait until I have the ring in hand to take photos, because I am sure that I will be able to take some photos that will better reflect what was the ring actually looks like. But here are a few from the dealer, anyway.

Marquise1.jpg

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
oopsie -- that didn''t work...maybe this time.

Marquise3.jpg

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
...and this hand shot -- not my hand, and the ring as it is shown is a size 8 (I needed it sized to 6.5).

Marquise6.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is this ring (and the cut of the marquise) ? When I heard about fancy old cut... I though of something like this:

(sorry for the weird color, I am just trying to use this as an example of old marq.)

WhiteOM670.jpg

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply, Mr. Atlas; I was hoping I''d hear from you!

I have seen older cuts that look exactly as you''ve described; I realized that this marquise was likely a later cut (there seems to be much precision in it), but the culet made it pop out at me as an older cut. Like I mentioned earlier, the marquise is far from my favorite cut (although I have seem some stunning ones here on this forum), but something about this ring spoke to me.

I had originally been in the market for a large (2-3 carat) European round cut, but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this ring. I realize it may not have the "geometric" type sparkle that I treasure in round European and Mine cut stones, but will surely have something special all its own. At least I hope so!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The marquise in the three diamond ring is not really an old cut one. It has a closed, pointed, culet and is faceted & shaped like a reasonably mid 20th century period diamond. Could be an estate item, well priced, but not "old European cut".

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
The culet is slightly open, actually (although I would imagine this might be seen from time to time in more contemporrary cuts?) It''s not as large as I''ve seen in some other stones, but it''s there.

That''s part of what drew me to the ring.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oldminer is 100% right, the culet is slightly faceted, but watch out, it doesnt make the diamond an old cut!!!

The first picture faces up too modern!!!

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
As the ring wasn''t necessarily touted as an old cut -- just speculated about -- I''m not disappointed that it isn''t, because it appealed to me for no particular reason. There was just a warmth about it, and an old look about it that I liked -- and the slightly open culet is part of that. I''m still very excited, and can''t wait until it arrives.

I already own a mine cut ring (of about 1/2 carat), and have a 1+ carat European cut stone (presently in a modern setting) in my safe deposit box that I will one day mount in a beautiful old platinum and french cut sapphire setting in which I currently have a modern cut M color stone of SI3 clarity. My engagement ring is a 1.11 pear (K, SI2) in a yellow gold Vatche Royal Crown setting. I have other rings as well, with smaller stones, and enjoy rotating them.

I am definitely an equal opportunity diamond lover!
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful, OCL...can''t wait to see your pictures of it.....and your other goodies as well!

In your wanderings, did you find the thread in SMTR forum entitled: "Show my your Antique Cuts!"?? Lots of great old eyecandy there..
3.gif

widget

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
Yes, widget, I have seen that thread, and just went back to look again. I couldn''t remember whose rings (I recalled that the person had two) sent me into a swoon, so I checked. They were the rings of Glitterata -- right up my alley! And Bagpuss'' rings...so beautiful. I also loved your earrings. What size are they? They''re positively gorgeous!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, OldCutLover!

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh.

Just got the ring today...I was practically blinded just opening the box. As I surmised, it looks NOTHING like in the photos. In the photographs, it looks dead and brownish, with a pronounced bowtie. In person, you can see it flashing from far across a room (yes, I checked a good 16 feet away in a mirror), and the bowtie is difficult to discern. And the color! Yellowish and warm...exactly as I like it. And the setting -- perfection.

I wil try and take some good photos sometime soon. Thing is, I can''t imagine doing this ring justice, especially since the dealer photos were so far off. Thank goodness my husband and his cousin were able to see it in person and appreciate its beauty.

I am so, so happy. Actually, I''m deliriously so!
30.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
More photos! More photos!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: OldCutLover
Oh. My. Gosh.
Just got the ring today...I was practically blinded just opening the box.
I am so, so happy. Actually, I''m deliriously so!
30.gif
How wonderful! Congrats! Can''t wait to see more pictures!

(BTW...I lost track of this thread and missed your question about my earrings. The bigger OMCs are about 1ct each. This thread did inspire me to borrow my DIL''s rosecut pear necklace....when the sun is up a bit more, I''ll take some pics and post them...)

PLEASE post pictures soon of your new treasure!

widget

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here it is: My DIL''s necklace with a pear shaped rose cut diamond...my guess, from around the turn of the century...

widget

Liz rosecut.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
OMG, Widget! Your DIL''s necklas is beautiful. I never liked the rose cuts, but I''m becoming a convert. There is just a special charm to them, and that pear shaped one is very unique. I really like the design of the necklace as a whole.

OldCutLover, I''m interested to see your own photos of your marquise!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results