shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy light blue diamond with GIA report of origin listed as "undetermined"

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Based on my experience....some cutters re-submit repeatedly to challenge an undetermined comment. Sometimes shipping the stone across the globe to submit to a different GIA branch....
I don't recall a case of GIA reversing an "UNdetermined"...of course, it may have happened regardless...

Regarding Natural Blue Diamonds and fluorescence:
Based on a much larger sample size.
Of 80 diamonds graded Fancy Light Blue, Fancy Blue, and Fancy Intense Blue by GIA, only one stone -a Fancy Light Blue- had Stong Blue. Three of the stones had "Faint" fluorescence. So I guess I have to eat my words:)

Blue stones with modifiers, different story.
Strong Blue is common in Green, or Greenish blue diamonds, for example.
Gray-Blue Diamonds also exhibit fluorescence more commonly.
of the stones graded "Fancy Blue" had any fluorescence.

Yup- my fancy green blue diamond has blue fluorescence- I'd have to dig out the report to see how strong the fluorescence is as I don't remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
From John Chapman (Argyle's Ex Scientist)
Yes Argyle and Boron blues do fluoresce differently. Argyle’s yellowy-blue and boron weak red and also red phosphorescence. CVD blue fluoresce strong blue. Well I think they do, certainly the HPHT ones do.
I checked several listed on PS and most were CVD IIa so not blue as grown - post treated and they had none.

Thanks

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CVD blue fluoresce strong blue. Well I think they do, certainly the HPHT ones do.

Garry!!
Buddy!!!
Mate!!!
Sorry, but this is incorrect.
The proponents of HPHT will tell you they grow totally colorless, with no post growth treatments. None ( that I've seen) possess any fluorescence.

The only CVD's that I have seen which possess fluorescence are CVDs that have been treated to turn pink- in which case they generally possess Orange Fl.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, but this is incorrect.
The proponents of HPHT will tell you they grow totally colorless, with no post growth treatments. None ( that I've seen) possess any fluorescence.

The only CVD's that I have seen which possess fluorescence are CVDs that have been treated to turn pink- in which case they generally possess Orange Fl.

Hi Buddy from your mate ;-)
We are talking about diamonds with blue color, not colorless.
And this was from John Chapman who makes:
that is also sold by the other leading dude in the field:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The single "Born Blue" we submitted came back inert

None of the treated blues we've had have exhibited any fluorescence

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A gentle reminder that we don’t allow posting personal contact information on the forum for everyone’s safety.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Here's an article you fancy color nerds will enjoy :)

This must not be correct regarding other colours not having phosphorence. I have been able to make my white diamonds phosphorence by "loading" when with a UV torch for a few minutes.

colordiamondfreak

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi David! I really appreciate your response. I like the stone, but if compared to a land-grown blue diamond I have seen prettier ones for much less. This one was very well priced if it could be proved to be all natural. If treated or lab-grown it was a terrible deal. I was so excited to think I might be able to afford a natural blue diamond, and maybe the gamble could have been worth it (I thought about never checking if it was natural or not and living life in a hopeful mystery) but I am too curious of a person. It wouldn't have worked.

Hi there. I'm so curious. How much was the stone priced at st the time when you saw it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results