shape
carat
color
clarity

Family ring advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmatthew59

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your help in this manner.

I was handed down an engagement ring which belonged to a now deceased family member. I do not have any type of appraisal or certificate information on the ring which is at least 40 years old. Bottom line I have no clue as to the value and neither does anyone in my family.

I like the setting except it''s in yellow gold and would like to get it dipped in white gold if possible. My biggest fear is taking the ring in to get fixed and having the diamonds swapped out or something.

Should I get the ring appraised first before fixing it? How can I be sure that the person doing the appraisal won''t rip me off either? What type of cost are we looking at?

Can I get it dipped in white gold or is it dependent on the type of setting?

Thanks.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The odds of it being swapped out are very slim, although it does happen. I would just get it appraised (check out the list of appraisers under "Resources" up above) and that way you know where the inclusions are.

Dipping the ring is rhodium is easy, but the bright yellow gold will show through fairly quickly so you''ll need to re-dip it every so often. A friend of my sister''s actually had her grandmother''s ring reproduced in platinum and re-set with the original stone.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally rings are dipped in rhodium not white gold, but this isn't a good idea. The rhodium can wear off unevenly and you'll end up with a marbled gold/white gold finish. I've heard of a few people who've had luck rhodium plating over yellow gold, but personally, I wouldn't chance it.

It's not likely that a jeweler will swap out a stone, but if you'd feel more comfortable, you can get an appraisal done for less than $100. One jewler quoted me $75 for a basic appraisal. Appraisals are generally inflated so even if the ring is appraised at $4000, it probably is worth less, especially if you decide to sell it second hand.

If I were you, I'd get a recommendation for a local jeweler from a friend or a friend of a friend in your neighborhood and have the ring fixed and just wear it as it. If you like the stone and want a white gold look, then reset the stone.

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
Your insurance company should be able to recommend an excellent (and honest) appraiser. I would start with the insurance company.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Ask around for recommendations on a qualified appraiser. Stay away from chain stores and stick with an independent jeweler with lots of experience. They won''t risk their hard earned reputation by switching a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results