shape
carat
color
clarity

Family diamond

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I inherited a diamond from my Aunt upon her death. It’s definitely not ideally cut- large table, low crown height and shallow. It also has visible inclusions. That said, my Aunt meant a lot to me and I do not want to recut or change the diamond. What type of pendant/necklace setting would you recommend for a poorly cut diamond from the 80s. I estimate that it’s probably 1.3 carats.

My condolences on your loss. I would stick the diamond in a halo setting and wear it as a pendant. Imo the halo setting helps protect the girdle (which may have gotten beat up over the years) but doesn’t block as much light as a bezel, which is necessary for poorly cut stones. Plus in my opinion the sparkle from the halo helps disguise the less than ideal light return from the stone.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I second the halo idea, or, after looking at DK engraving on another thread, a yellow gold engraved bezel pendant would be awesome!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
For a different perspective, I inherited 2 large RB stones and did have them recut by Brian Gavin. They are absolutely stunning and, yet, are still the same stones, just improved upon. They are mounted as a ring (one is in my avatar) and the other in a pendant… both solitaires. Hence, they are shining bright on their own, not being “enhanced” by a halo. Think about it.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback. I hadn’t considered a halo. I put it in a bezel pendent and I hate it, hence my reach out to this group. I also was against a recut due to the inclusions and shallow cut, but you’ve convinced me it’s definitely with considering. I appreciate everyone taking the time to provide their opinions and insight.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You would have to find out if a recut is possible. Perhaps worth investigating first to know all your options. You are going to reset anyhow so while it is unmounted….

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezels tend not to be good for poorly cut stones (depending on the issue). They just block too much of the stone from getting light.
I would probably just put it in a 4 prong open setting. IMO, sometimes putting a sparkly halo around a poorly cut stone can just bring out
how poorly cut the stone is (but it really all depends on the stone). That's probably only a question you can answer...whether the halo
will bring out the beauty of the stone or not. Good luck..come back with pics when you do whatever it is you choose to do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results