shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake alexandrite on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meauxwalk

Rough_Rock
Ya the Russian thing seemed a little suspect to me too.

I honestly don''t know if it is Russian or not since the Lab report doesn''t list origin, just the specifics of the stone (weight, dimensions, quality, type, treatments, etc.). Maybe it is, maybe it isn''t. Honestly, I don''t really care where it is from, just that it is Alexandrite, which is what we paid for.

If I''m being objective I can say that it isn''t a top quality stone--it''s only a 1/3 of a carat, there is a window in the center, it doesn''t have a significant color change (green to muddy redish purple), and you can see some silk on the edges. I still think it''s pretty though, and I like how it looks on my hand.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this thread! I bought an alex from Sally too, and I''m definitely convinced it''s natural. I went back and looked at Sally''s pics of my stone, and it definitely looks greener in real life. I wouldn''t be surprised if it had something to do with the lighting...I think the bluish looking ones are just showing a mix of green and purple. FWIW, I would pick the 2nd stone from the left hands-down (no window).

Here are some pics of my ring from Sally. Hopefully this will help give you some peace of mind!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of my tiny (about 1/3 ct) alex from Rick at Artcutgems. This is the vendor photo. The gem is from India, and I have every reason to believe that this is genuine alexandrite. As you can see, one might call it a blue stone in its night phase. It can go darker blue at night depending on the lighting and it has purple glints. The daytime color is a lovely emerald green color. I call it my emerald-by-day and aqua-by-night stone.

AlexfromRMt.jpg

meauxwalk

Rough_Rock
What a cool color change!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Looks more like emerald by day, tanzanite by night to me! Mine is more of an amethyst by night. All these colors are lovely.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 8:36:08 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Here is a picture of my tiny (about 1/3 ct) alex from Rick at Artcutgems. This is the vendor photo. The gem is from India, and I have every reason to believe that this is genuine alexandrite. As you can see, one might call it a blue stone in its night phase. It can go darker blue at night depending on the lighting and it has purple glints. The daytime color is a lovely emerald green color. I call it my emerald-by-day and aqua-by-night stone.
I can't reiterate this enough. If you are seeing a pure blue in whichever colourway the Alex changes to, it is highly likely that you do not have a genuine Alex and that it is synthetic. Alex can have a blue/green or teal daylight colour but you should NEVER see pure blue.

Rick has described this as having a night time colour of Aqua?????? Sorry this is totally and utterly wrong. Natural Alexandrites do not react in this way. I am absolutely positive Rick believes this to be a genuine Alex BUT from my experience, the colours are totally wrong and I would not buy this unless it had been certified as a real Chrysoberyl/Alexandrite.

Please read these:
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/what-are-the-most-common-colors-of-alexandrite.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/are-there-any-other-gemstones-which-change-color.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/how-can-i-spot-the-difference-between-a-natural-and-a-synthetic-alexandrite.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/what-do-i-need-to-check-before-purchasing-alexandrite-gemstone.html

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 6:15:32 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

I can''t reiterate this enough. If you are seeing a pure blue in whichever colourway the Alex changes to, it is highly likely that you do not have a genuine Alex and that it is synthetic. Alex can have a blue/green or teal daylight colour but you should NEVER see pure blue.

Rick has described this as having a night time colour of Aqua?????? Sorry this is totally and utterly wrong. Natural Alexandrites do not react in this way. I am absolutely positive Rick believes this to be a genuine Alex BUT from my experience, the colours are totally wrong and I would not buy this unless it had been certified as a real Chrysoberyl/Alexandrite.

Please read these:
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/what-are-the-most-common-colors-of-alexandrite.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/are-there-any-other-gemstones-which-change-color.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/how-can-i-spot-the-difference-between-a-natural-and-a-synthetic-alexandrite.html
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/what-do-i-need-to-check-before-purchasing-alexandrite-gemstone.html
LD - Aqua is my description, not Rick''s.

I have to believe that chrysoberyl from different deposits can have different color changing properties.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
im very interested in this subject & i no what this material-this is russian lab alex under incandecent light-a reddish color....

e02.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this is the same material-russian lab alex under daylight conditions-flourescent light-almost none of the green color-all blue-typical of the russian lab....

k06.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 9:14:02 AM

I can''t reiterate this enough. If you are seeing a pure blue in whichever colourway the Alex changes to, it is highly likely that you do not have a genuine Alex and that it is synthetic. Alex can have a blue/green or teal daylight colour but you should NEVER see pure blue.

Please read these:

I have to believe that chrysoberyl from different deposits can have different color changing properties.
No. Please read the attached links. Real Alexandrites will always shift from either a teal/green or a green to a pinky/amethyst/purple and maybe have flashes of red. Poor Alexandrites will shift from a weak green to an orangey browney pink. No other colourway is acceptable for Alexandrite. Sorry!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 10:06:13 AM

Please read these:

No. Please read the attached links. Real Alexandrites will always shift from either a teal/green or a green to a pinky/amethyst/purple and maybe have flashes of red. Poor Alexandrites will shift from a weak green to an orangey browney pink. No other colourway is acceptable for Alexandrite. Sorry!

That''s exactly what Sally''s alexandrites do, but for some reason in mixed lighting they photograph oddly. These 2 pics are a good representation of my stone''s color change:

Daylight green (it''s the larger one, and the smaller one is a demantoid):
jstar-stack.jpg

Incandescent purple (third from the left):
jstar-allrings.jpg

And yet some of Sally''s pics came out like this (more bluish green):
il_fullxfull.81058671.jpg

I totally understand that a pure blue shouldn''t be seen in an alexandrite, but in these from Sally, I''m not seeing any pure blue. Just an odd color mix in some of the photos that doesn''t really show up IRL. FWIW, I think Fly Girl''s stone definitely looks purplish, not pure blue.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 11:09:47 AM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 2/7/2010 10:06:13 AM

I can't reiterate this enough. If you are seeing a pure blue in whichever colourway the Alex changes to, it is highly likely that you do not have a genuine Alex and that it is synthetic. Alex can have a blue/green or teal daylight colour but you should NEVER see pure blue.
LD - Aqua is my description, not Rick's.

That's exactly what Sally's alexandrites do, but for some reason in mixed lighting they photograph oddly. These 2 pics are a good representation of my stone's color change:

Daylight green (it's the larger one, and the smaller one is a demantoid):

Incandescent purple (third from the left):

And yet some of Sally's pics came out like this (more bluish green):

I totally understand that a pure blue shouldn't be seen in an alexandrite, but in these from Sally, I'm not seeing any pure blue. Just an odd color mix in some of the photos that doesn't really show up IRL. FWIW, I think Fly Girl's stone definitely looks purplish, not pure blue.
I agree, jstar, that mine has some purple which is just starting to show in the photo above. The stone does look purple in candlelight, but I can't really take a photo of that.

Here is a blue cat's eye alexandrite currently for sale by Barry Bridgestock at acstones. Link He writes:

CR-8021 Cat's Eye Alexandrite(J) 2.85 cts., 8x6.2 native cut oval cabochon[Gec]. This is one of the rarest gemstones in the world. It is totally natural and was cut in Sri Lanka where it was mined... The body color of the stone shifts from a purple in incandescent light to blue in natural light, while the extremely sharp eye maintains a blue color. This is an opportunity to own one of the true rarities of the gem kingdom.

cr-8021g_566_general.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And another blue cat''s eye alexandrite for sale at The Gem Trader. Link Brad writes:

0.70 ct. Cat''s Eye Alexandrite
Color: Medium Dark Bluish-Green/Purple Clarity: Eye Clean
Origin: India Cut: Round Cabochon
Treatments: None Measurements: 5mm

A beautiful example of a very popular gem material - ones that combine two separate phenomena, chatoyancy and color change. These are always in demand and were almost impossible to obtain before the last few years when very nice examples began being mined in India. This stone will not disappoint - the eye is sharp and rolls nicely and the color change is very good.

Sep-08-CEAlexI.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my 2ct alex on ebay about 6 years ago. Sent it to AGTA immediately and it was certified a as natural alexandrite. The seller did call it "Russian" but I chose to ignore that part. The color change is very good at about 80%. I have not been able to take any pictures that is fare to the stone, so I am posting the vendor picture here. The reddish purple view is true to IRL.

Alexandriate-1.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the green color - and I do see a little blue in it. I can see this color on a cloudy day. However, on sunny days the green will not be as strong. Hope this helps.

Alexandriate-3.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh - teal green is fine and yours looks lovely. You also did a VERY sensible thing by having it certified.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 1:56:43 PM

And another blue cat''s eye alexandrite for sale at The Gem Trader. Link Brad writes:

0.70 ct. Cat''s Eye Alexandrite

Color: Medium Dark Bluish-Green/Purple Clarity: Eye Clean
Origin: India Cut: Round Cabochon
Treatments: None Measurements: 5mm

A beautiful example of a very popular gem material - ones that combine two separate phenomena, chatoyancy and color change. These are always in demand and were almost impossible to obtain before the last few years when very nice examples began being mined in India. This stone will not disappoint - the eye is sharp and rolls nicely and the color change is very good.

FlyGirl,
I have seen this particular colour change cat''s eye Alexandrite in person and it is never blue as pictured. In fact, I contacted Brad to ask why I''m not seeing any blue. He explained that Alex is never blue but green. If there is any blue, it is a very slight bluish undertone only. Green is still the primary colour.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that some people got lucky, but as a rule, shouldn''t we be extremely vigilant when buying alexandrites or demantoids on the ebay? There are enough trustworthy jewellers and vendors. When I was searching for a demantoid, there were some sold on the ebay, and they were possibly real. But when I (and I had subzero experience at that time) started asking questions about the origin or horsetails or dispersion, I got answers that did not satisfy me at all. "We have all the reasons to believe that they are Russian". Something (again!) about an old Russian lady. No one was willing to certify their stones - pardon me, but with prices over 3000.00 you should be able to provide a certificate! They could be real, but I suspect they were not worth the price. So shouldn''t we start staying away from this practice especially when it comes to Paraibas and alexandrites? To protect ourselves from developing posttraumatic stress disorder?
I have an ancient "alexandrite" that proved to be fake. Well, I was not that unhappy - my grandfather bought, did not spend too much, easy come, easy go. But with really expensive stones - and your own hard-earned money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results