shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price for Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

erickropp

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am currently shopping for diamonds. I live in New York City and have been checking out 47th street.

Can you please let me know what a fair price for this diamond is and if there is anything wrong with the characteristics.

Size: 1.70
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 63.2
Table 55
Culet: very small
Girdle: thin to slightly thick
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Dimensions: 7.56 x 7.65 x 4.81

Thanks

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What price did they quote you?

erickropp

Rough_Rock
They started at 14K and I''m down to 11K so far..

what is fair? what''s a good deal? anything wrong with these characteristics?

thanks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Since you''re in the NYC area, I would check out the sites for the following.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com or http://www.superbcert.com Barry or Judah

http://www.goodoldgold.com - Jonathan

http://www.diiamondsideals.com Megan

You probably will get a better price or a better stone for the same amount.

To answer your question I''d be cautious with the depth of this stone. 63+% could be too deep, but perhaps it isn''t.

Relying on numbers primarilly doesn''t always end up with what you''d expect.

If a merchant lowers his price by $ 3000.00 on a $14,000.00 stone, I''d be concerned that the original asking price was made that way so they can offer you a discount, which in many cases is like bait on a fish hook. A lot of consumers make the fatal mistake of putting the price "ahead" of analyzing the diamonds true quality.

Don''t be tempted by offers of discounts, buy the diamond not the price... I know this concept is a little hard to swallow for some, but it is a much more prudent approach.

The PRIMARY consideration to purchase should be made considering the quality of the diamond. In addition when buying a diamond of such a price, you should STRONGLY consider having an independent gemologist review to make sure you know as much as you can about the choice you made to make sure it is represented correctly, talk with you about what you really expect the stone to be.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Rockdoc

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I need some help!!!

Could some PLEASE tell me if this diamond sounds ok? We are on a budget and I want to make sure that it does not sound as if there are some serious flaws or drawbacks.
Carat: 1.39
Measurements: 6.08-5.60-4.62
Depth 82.5
Table: 72
Color: J
No Flouresence.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!! Please HELP>
12.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey mine!! welcome to ps
35.gif

you will find many helpful people here with lots of great information.
it would be a good idea to start your own post with your questions and information, so that others may help you individually and not get answers confused with the original poster of this topic.
make sure to include all of the information that you have on the stone, including the cut (shape).
best of luck to you!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2005 1:59:46 PM
Author: MINE!!
I need some help!!!

Could some PLEASE tell me if this diamond sounds ok? We are on a budget and I want to make sure that it does not sound as if there are some serious flaws or drawbacks.
Carat: 1.39
Measurements: 6.08-5.60-4.62
Depth 82.5
Table: 72
Color: J
No Flouresence.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!! Please HELP>
12.gif
Hi Mine

Welcome to PS

It appears that the stone is an Asscher or a Princess shape.

A 72% table could be slightly large, and the 82% depth is probably way to deep.

Weight that is in the belly of the stone. along with a thick girdle can take up 2/3rd''s of the stones weight.
This means the face up appearance may appear smaller than a stone that has more crown height and smaller pavilion depth.

You should ask for the crown height and pavilion depth as well as girdle thickness too.
Provide more info about this purchase, but with fancy shapes to really be accurate the stone should be seen by an unrelated, indepentdent professional who can advise you properly.

Also find out WHO graded this stone. Is this the seller''s grading, or is it from GIA or AGS?

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results