shape
carat
color
clarity

Fading color...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

About 7 years ago, I was given a ''pink sapphire'' pendant that came from a mall jeweler (Kay, ugh!). I don''t know whether it''s real or synthetic as it was a gift. I am sure the person who gave it to me overspent and got ripped off. I''m assuming it''s synthetic though, as don''t most places like Kay and Jared sell those kind of stones? The thing is, when I first got it, it was a vibrant and deep bright pink. Now though, the color appears less saturated and intense. It has faded to a medium pink. What could cause this, and does that mean it''s a synthetic stone? Thank you in advance!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a guess ......... it sounds like it could have faded due to an unstable treatment. Presumably this would happen whether the gem were synthetic or natural. Some gemstones do fade naturally (after initial heating) and it can take years to fade. I have a Hiddenite that was once the most glorious deep velvet green and is now apple green! Kunzite is another gem that can fade naturally.

Maybe somebody will be along soon who can help more.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually it is very interesting - recently I posted a topic about synthetic alexandrite bought in Laos in early 80-es by my father and the blue color has almost faded while the raspberry is still there (maybe it is fading, too, but very slowly so). The photographs are in my post about Sherlock Holmes. I am afraid it had been irradiated but I don''t know if the technique was available at the time. But since synthetic alexandrite is often synthetic corundum - well, it seems we both are asking the same question.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that most mall places sell lab created coloured gemstones so it is likely this one is the same, but it could be real too. Maybe it is a poor quality synthetic? I’ve heard that some natural stones when heated (like pink topaz and blue zircon) can be unstable and fade but those are uncommon and usually weeded out fairly quickly (you’ll see the fading in a matter of days/weeks). There are also some stones that fade when exposed to UV for long periods of time like Kunzite, the evening stone. Other than that, I have no idea.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info all! I am pretty certain the stone is lab-created. By the way, how do these mall stores get away with charging $250 for a lab-created sapphire pendant on a white gold chain?! It''s ridiculous.
38.gif

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I have never heard of fading corundum! I do think, however, that there is not enough literature on gems fading when exposed to sunlight. For instance - does it only happen with certain specimens, or will any kunzite/morganite/amethyst/pink topaz/blue zircon/Maxixe beryl eventually fade when exposed to sunlight? What other known faders are there?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2010 3:29:47 PM
Author: Laila619
Thanks for the info all! I am pretty certain the stone is lab-created. By the way, how do these mall stores get away with charging $250 for a lab-created sapphire pendant on a white gold chain?! It''s ridiculous.
38.gif
That is one of my biggest pet peeves with the mall stores. They can''t even get in real stones, and they charge exhorbitant prices for a little gold, and a stone that should cost $5 max.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also have never heard of fading sapphire! I agree it was prolly an unstable treatment. Maybe it was surface diffused or coated to give it that bright pink color.

I know some gemstones will fade naturally, but I have never heard or read of sapphire bing one of them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2010 6:45:54 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
I have never heard of fading corundum! I do think, however, that there is not enough literature on gems fading when exposed to sunlight. For instance - does it only happen with certain specimens, or will any kunzite/morganite/amethyst/pink topaz/blue zircon/Maxixe beryl eventually fade when exposed to sunlight? What other known faders are there?
Interestingly not all Kunzite fades. I have a number of pieces. One has faded completely - it''s almost transparent with only a hint of pink and it hasn''t been exposed to sunlight at all. It''s been in a safe for 5 years - so that kinda throws the theory out of the window that it''s only sunlight that fades Kunzite. Other Kunzite I have is as strongly saturated as the day I bought it - some of which has seen sunlight, some hasn''t.

Although I have no factual evidence to base this on, I believe that some gems will "hold" a heated colour much better while others just don''t and fade away into oblivion! It could be to do with the length/heat of cooking or just simply the chemical makeup could be minutely different! Who knows! It''s a bit like a lottery buying a gemstone that is more prone to fading though because you''re never quite sure what you''ll end up with!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
As noted above some stones are prone to fading. As for the sapphire is the stone a doublet or is it coated?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
That is very interesting, LD - the colour fade is one thing that has always put me off kunzite. I like the colour of good kunzite, but that colour is pretty much all it has going for it. Minute differences in chemstry makes sense to me with regards to some stones fading while others retain their colour, but I''m no expert. Again, there is not enough literature on the subject!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results