shape
carat
color
clarity

Facets solitaire setting vs. Tiffany 6-prong setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was wondering everyone's opinion on the Signed Pieces Facets solitaire setting vs. Tiffany 6-prong classic setting? (not taking into consideration the price)

Thanks!

By the way... this is my first post but I am so addicted to this forum! I know you guys will give great feedback :)
engagement_tiffany_ring.jpg

6559.jpg

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Side view:
4958.jpg

engagement_tiffany_ring2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size stone are you looking at?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Facets setting is a basket-type which hides a lot of the pavilon. Not my taste.
The Tiffany setting, while low, still lets in a lot of light and makes it easy to clean. Plus it looks like there might be a knife-edge to the band which I like.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so maybe I should take price into consideration (this is the real world :razz:):

Facets
0.55 ct round brilliant cut, color G, clarity VVS2, platinum
$2090.

Tiffanys
0.45 ct round brilliant cut, color I, clarity VVS2, platinum
$2850.

Signed Pieces, Consignment Tiffanys ring
0.65 ct round brilliant cut, color I, clarity VS1, platinum
$2850. (The band looks pretty scratched and kind of thick? I don't know if the pictures are just bad though)

Boyfriend says..."I want to know what you want, regardless of price" but I'm still thinking the budget is like under 3k? (we are both students) Because I'm very active with sports, school, work and the such I am interesting in a low and secure setting. I went to a local jewelry store that I *love* but they only have the standard prongs which are just too thick for my taste.

Sorry to rant. I'm crazy. I know. :razz:

Thanks again everyone :)
36.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Belle,

I've been looking at stones around 0.50 ct except for the one on consignment that is 0.65 ct :razz:

Here is a picture of the consignment T&Co ring:
Does anyone know if the band thickness (2.6mm according to Signed Pieces) has decreased since 2001 (orig. purchase date of the ring) Pic shown below:
10464.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the tiff much better than the facets. like chrono, i think the facets basket setting hides too much of the stone. the tiff is very fluid and open......
do you have a link to the .65?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2005 1:12:21 PM
Author: snow_happy
Belle,

Does anyone know if the band thickness (2.6mm according to Signed Pieces) has decreased since 2001 (orig. purchase date of the ring) :
It didn't. The ring on the Tiffany site has a much larger stone. The thickness of the band stays the same regardless of the size of the diamond.

The wear marks on the band could be polished off very easily. I am surprised Signedpieces have not already.
2.gif

I don't think Tiffany makes rings with thinner shanks, but if you go for a replica of their setting, perhaps this detail could be adjusted. By "replica" I mean something like these.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Link to Signed Pieces T&Co ring

Should I be nervous that someone will buy it quickly?
17.gif

The thickness of another diamond solitaire (but 1.13 ct - whoa mama) is 2.4mm? Is there a reason for the difference?

BTW... Belle your avatar (personal icon) is beautiful!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

One word,...........YUP!!!

Signed Pieces has a fabulous reputation. They have a shop and sell on eBay. You can rest assured that if they say it''s a Tiff, it''s a Tiff. Not some knock-off look alike that you pay a fortune for w/o getting the bonafide thing. And Tiff is highly desireable. If you think you might want this ring you should jump on it. As far as the scratches go, that''s nothing a good buff won''t fix and be good as new.

As to has the shank width changed. I don''t know. In researching thinner bands to go with my ring, I have learned that 2mm is about as thin as most good smiths will go. Some bands will run 1.8mm but you won''t find good quality rings below that. To go any thinner runs into issues with structural integrity. Too easy to bend/flex the shank putting the stones at risk.
1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 1:33:33 PM
Author: snow_happy
Link to Signed Pieces T&Co ring

17.gif

The thickness of another diamond solitaire (but 1.13 ct - whoa mama) is 2.4mm? Is there a reason for the difference?

Yes, you should jump on it if that''s the ring that you really want. It won''t last long. And I agree with Val--I''m pretty sure that band hasn''t changed in a long time.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
I like the Tiffany''s setting better -- more elegant looking to me. The Signed Pieces Tiff ring looks great. Maybe the 2.6mm width is a typo?

I agree that you should jump on the Signed Pieces Tiff if that''s the one you want. Some of their stuff doesn''t last long on that site.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were you I''d jump on that Tiffany ring. The scratches can be easily polished out and I think it''s a very good buy. Just my 0.2!! Let us know what you decide, and good luck!
1.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!

I will defintely let you guys know what happens. My bf is being very tight-lipped about when, what ring, etc. I just keep showing him rings that I like. :) I''ll post whatever I get...whenever I get it...ASAP ;-)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the Tiff Signed Pieces ring! That is the only way I could ever consider owning a Tiff ring like that, is second-hand. Unless I get one of their more unique pieces like that fab aquamarine they had last year on their homepage, drool!

I like the Tiff setting better, but I don't like their pricing and stones don't have enough info for me.

But setting wise, the Tiff...and that SP looks like a nice deal if you would consider buying the real thing anyway! Save some $ and get that one!

Oh and no the band width hasn't changed, it is that the Tiff stone online is much much bigger than a 0.65...hence the band looking thinner! I would also see if you can get the SP one polished so that the platinum scratches are gone..I'm pretty sure that's possible.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! I was trying to find a "deal" butI thought about everything, talked it over with my bf and he said that actually he wanted to have a ring custom-made! Who knew that was in his budget? We both were floored by Hetty's ring so maybe he will have a much smaller version of something similar made! (I am going to keep my fingers crossed because that is my dream ring!) He said he is taking it all in and wants to made a one-of-a-kind ring for me! how sweet!

Link to topic with pictures of Hetty's Ring!

Oh man I love everything about the ring - the curves, the diamonds, the style -whew! I was totally researching a Tiffany solitaire because that was the my favorite setting for what I thought was our budget but I got really excited when my bf said we could custom make something!

Does it usually cost an arm and a leg?
Is micropave super expensive due to the intricacy required?
Has anyone had anything made at the jewelry district?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results