shape
carat
color
clarity

F/SI1 v. G/VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jhn00

Rough_Rock
If two diamonds are nearly identical, is it more important to get better color/worse clarity or worse color/better clarity?

Thanks!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Your preference. If the cut quality is both the same on each, then my only concern would be if the SI1 is eye clean. If it is, then personally I would take the higher color over the higher clarity. But if the SI1 wasn''t eyeclean, I would probably take the VS2.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
ditto

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Should be about a coin toss... I would choose the one with the best cut. Between those two stones and color and clarity grades most people will not see any difference from the top, especially if they are both well cut.

Wink

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the makes are close to identical and the SI1 is eyeclean, you're not going to notice much (if any) difference between the visual presentation of these two diamonds.

My personal preference would be for the G/VS2 combination, and that combination does sell for more on the market. Rapaport lists the price difference at 12.5% between a G/VS2 and an F/SI1 (in the 1 carat range).

Then again, you could take a week off from work with that 12.5%.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
I''m a newbie here, but I''ll offer an opinion......

If you are talking about 2 round brilliants, both ideal cuts.....I think it also depends on the size of the stone. I think in a larger stone, there is often more opportunity to view the color or lack thereof....from the side, so the better color is important.

But then again, it depends on the nature of the inclusions, and how easily they can be seen (and in the size of stone being considered.....)

Rich , could you elaborate more on what factors most determine pricing????

It would seem like the lower color would counter the lower clarity, so the prices would be about the same...but I guess not...How does that work?????

Thanks.......

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Carlotta, it depends a lot on where the breaks are. There is a much bigger price difference between a VS2 and an SI1 than there is between the F and G. If the break were between a VS1 and a VS2 they would probably be very close to equal value. If the break was between SI 1 and SI2 there would be an even bigger break, and between SI2 and I1 it can be much bigger still. (Going from memory here, I am not looking up prices)

The pricing matrix is huge and very complex so it is hard to issue a blanket statement that will cover the situation. I was once told that DeBeers has over 10,000 catagories for its rough based on color, clarity, size, shape of the crystal, whether or not it is twinned, whether it is clear or has a rind and on and on and on. If you think cut, color and clarity get confusing, try rough...

Wink

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 11:52:03 AM
Author: Rascal49
Your preference. If the cut quality is both the same on each, then my only concern would be if the SI1 is eye clean. If it is, then personally I would take the higher color over the higher clarity. But if the SI1 wasn''t eyeclean, I would probably take the VS2.
agreed. if they have enough information to determine cut quality (crown/pavilion angles) and the optical symmetry is great for both, it would be a toss up. those two combinations are very close.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All other things being equal I'd also take a G VS2 over an F SI1.

Fewer flaws may mean a stone is stronger and less likely to be damaged when subjected to the same blow.

Tension setters will not even set the lower clarity stones for this reason.
There is more to the clarity decision than what meets the eye, without a loupe, so to speak.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would take the one that looked better to your eye. That said, I''d probably lean towards the G/VS2

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the cut is the same, then I''d go for the G VS2, but that''s just me.
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Viewing this a purely hypothetical question..
If all other factors including size, price, and cut are exactly identical I would choose the G/Vs2.
Unless you are planning on surrounding it with E/F color diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results