shape
carat
color
clarity

"Eye clean": what can be inferred by the plot, if anything?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
When I look at an online diamond''s plot, esp. those classified as SI1, I see a huge difference. Some may have only one red mark while others are very red!

Can you get any clues about whether or not the stone is eye-clean based upon the types of inclusions, the size, or the locations? Or do you absolutely need to see every stone before judging that?

Thanks
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Plots are virtually meaningless in determing the severity of an imperfection.
Sometimes it looks like a HUGE slash on the plot, yet in person you can''t see anything.
Other times a tiny pinpoint on a plot is easily visible with your eyes.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE Plots

Inclusions and clarity plots should be reviewed by someone who has the dark field illuminated microscope capable of zooming up the magnification.

Many times that plots don''t show everything that is in the stone. About 10 days ago I had a stone with a GIA report. It was graded an SI-1, and in fact it was an SI-1 but all the inclusions were not drawn on the plot.

In this particular situation, the inclusions that set the grade were plotted but all of them, mostly small inclusions were not.

Do really do this effectively, besides having the proper optics and lighting, one needs the experience to know what to look for.

Using a loupe without the proper illumination, just isn''t the way this is done correctly.

I certainly understand that it isn''t practical for consumers to invest in a proper microscope, but thorough checking for inclusions really requires more than just a loupe.

The location of inclusions is also important as well as identifying the nature of the inclusion(s).

Gia makes a sort of listing at the bottom of their report as to the inclusions and what they are in each stone.

AGS doesn''t do this. They make a plot, and list the commonly occuring inclusions, that the reader has to sort out which of the "list" is actually in the stone.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results