shape
carat
color
clarity

Eye clean VS2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

badger.packer.fan

Rough_Rock
So I've read some of the posts regarding the definition of eye-clean, and something struck me. It was remarked that eye-clean only applies when one is referring to a diamond whose clarity grade is low enough. Many threads here seem to refer to eye-clean SI1 diamonds. What about eye-clean VS2? Is this even something that makes sense? I'm trying to find some sort of guarantee that when my soon to be fiance's friends peek into her ring, they don't say, "Man, that boyfriend of yours is a bum!!! Look at that nasty spot in your rock, you should dump him right away!!!!!!!!" I suppose I mean not only from the top, but through the side as well.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2005 2:48
6.gif
3 AM
Author:badger.packer.fan
So I''ve read some of the posts regarding the definition of eye-clean, and something struck me. It was remarked that eye-clean only applies when one is referring to a diamond whose clarity grade is low enough. Many threads here seem to refer to eye-clean SI1 diamonds. What about eye-clean VS2? Is this even something that makes sense? I''m trying to find some sort of guarantee that when my soon to be fiance''s friends peek into her ring, they don''t say, ''Man, that boyfriend of yours is a bum!!! Look at that nasty spot in your rock, you should dump him right away!!!!!!!!'' I suppose I mean not only from the top, but through the side as well.

Dear Badger

This is a stone by stone call. Normally eye clean refers to face up only. Many SIs hae inclusions small enough not to see face up, but part of the view could help to hide inclusions because of the pavilion facets refracting light. Through the side of a diamond it tends to "window" - so it is possible to see an inclusion through the side, but other people don''t look at it like that. They almost always look at it face up.

So your added eye clean through the side requirement, has to be judged by you looking at the stone from the side to see if you can pick it up.

Generally VS 2 inclusions are small enough not to show. SO you won''t really see the size of the inclusion through the side, but you MAY see something because of the windowing appearance from the side. Consider that in stones over 1.50 carats the labs are a little more forgiving with the clarity grades.

But even if someone picks out something, it certainly isn''t going to be noticeable enough to make deroggatory comments about you being a "bum" etc.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

badger.packer.fan

Rough_Rock
I wish my budget allowed for something that big Roc:) I''m probably looking at something from .9-1 carat. From what I gather of your response, my impression is that I shouldn''t really have to worry about seeing inclusions if the diamond is graded VS2 or better? So I can be comfortable purchasing a VS2 from one of the reputable vendors here and not be concerned? That would be a good thing.

moolman

Rough_Rock
A true VS2 should not have any visible inclusions. If you''re getting a GIA or AGS graded VS2, don''t even worry about the inclusion, if something was visible they would of knocked it down to a SI1. SI1 is where you have to start checking. I bought a VS2 for my fiance. I didn''t want anybody looking at the ring and seeing anything. All girls compare, all her classmates were checking the ring out closely and comparing theirs to hers. Every comment on her ring is that it''s sparkly, more so than others.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Badger, I''m glad you brought this issue up. I have had a similar dilemma and appreciate the responses you are getting as it''s helping me decide on the right clarity for me.

My boyfriend has been adamant that my ring has to have a VVS stone in it, which works out rather expensive, plus it''s hard to find! I have been trying to persuade him to consider VS, since the price difference is significant and why buy a VVS when you can''t (or shouldn''t be able to) see inclusions in a VS stone? His argument is that he bought a diamond ring previously (1.5ct marquis from a B&M store) and he could see the inclusion in the VS1 stone and it bugged him so much that it has put him off VS stones altogether. However, I suspect the stone didn''t have the best cut, which I don''t think helped the situation either.

The more I read on Pricescope, the more I find myself interested in an SI1 stone for my engagement ring, but doubt we will be able to consider them, but only for one simple reason. We are based in the Middle East and we will only have 5 weeks in Seattle in the summer to buy a diamond and setting. We have so much travel planned in that five weeks that it is unlikely we can spend a huge amount of time searching for a really good SI1 stone, whereas if we buy a VVS or VS1 then we should really have a completely eye clean stone from any angle. I guess we are prepared to pay the extra $ for the guarantee of an eye clean stone, whereas if we were in the USA for longer, I would definitely hold out for an eye clean SI1 stone, which would bring the price down considerably. Reading what I have read on Pricescope, I''m confident that if educated Pricescopers are happy with SI1 stones, then I would be too, but unfortunately for us, time is not on our side, so we have to pay the price for a ''guaranteed'' eye clean stone. I certainly wouldn''t discount SI1 stones if I were in the States. You might also consider that the cut of a stone can really hide many imperfections - bling can make you blind! Cut is definitely top priority for me.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Badger
Again, I am no expert, but can tell you a bit about my experiences.

I opted for VS2 as I did not want to see any inclusions from any angle. The accepted definition of "eyeclean" was discussed a while back here. From memory, is it was something like: without the aid of magnification no inclusions seen under the table, only looking straight down at the table (ie no oblique viewing), no closer than 10 inches away, for no longer than a few seconds! It is an EXTREMELY limited definition. I have seen many set SI1 stones that would technically fit this description of "eyeclean", that I could see inclusions in (and at the age of nearly 45 I don''t even have wonderful unaided vision).

I understand that there would be lots of SI1 stones that really would have no inclusions visible once set, but it does vary a lot. I have never heard anyone with a VS2 clarity (graded by a reputable lab) report visible inclusions, but it is not impossible. If you have someone with exceptional near vision and a "trained eye" looking at a large diamond only a few inches away, a VS2 inclusion my well be seen unaided.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2005 6:39:23 AM
Author: MiniMouse

he bought a diamond ring previously (1.5ct marquis from a B&M store) and he could see the inclusion in the VS1 stone and it bugged him so much that it has put him off VS stones altogether
It is your ring.. Hopefully he might come to terms with giving you what you want
11.gif

Besides, was that marq graded by some lab ? Otherwise, it could have been anything. Even if the marq was VS with GIA''s word given for it... you could always say that marquises show inclusions more and what not. As far as I understand, these claims do not have to make allot of sense as long as they are hard to disprove (please excuse the cinicism... I work as a researcher most of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results