shape
carat
color
clarity

Extreme Home Makeover - What a disappointment!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
This foreclosure had nothing to do with what the show did. The story says that the family used the house as collateral for a start-up construction business that went under and they couldn't make the payments on that loan anymore, so the bank is taking their house.

Maybe the show should come with an investment advisor as well...

ETA: Sorry elle, read your post wrong. Totally agree with you, very sad indeed.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh man - that sucks.
8.gif
So sad indeed.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Confession: I always thought they also picked up the mortgage tab for them.

The foreclosure rates in the US are ridiculous and in Miami even more so. It''s unfortunate for that family.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
They pick up the mortgage I'm pretty sure -- if someone knows better on this, then please clarify.

They took out a loan on the house to start a company, and the company failed. The whole situation is just sad. For the family, and the volunteers. I don't know if I'd risk my brand new gift of a beautiful home to finance a new company, which is a HUGE risk. Sad, sad, sad.

ETA: I don't think they have a mortgage to begin with. Everything is donated 100%, right?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:02:25 AM
Author: elledizzy5
They pick up the mortgage I''m pretty sure -- if someone knows better on this, then please clarify.

They took out a loan on the house to start a company, and the company failed. The whole situation is just sad. For the family, and the volunteers. I don''t know if I''d risk my brand new gift of a beautiful home to finance a new company, which is a HUGE risk. Sad, sad, sad.

ETA: I don''t think they have a mortgage to begin with. Everything is donated 100%, right?
Everything is donated, but there''s often an existing mortgage that is/needs to be paid off.

I think it''s sad that they took out such a HUGE loan on such a wonderful gift. It''s a gamble that obviously didn''t pay off.
8.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH and I watched a re-run show the other day (I think?) and we were curious about taxes. If you house goes from an appraised value of $89k to $820k, how on earth are you going to be able to afford it? Or the electricity, etc? (This is the same question we had about HGTV Dream Home and then found out that most people sell the home because those costs are so extreme).

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Never look a gift horse in the mouth. I think they''re idiots.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:21:54 AM
Author: Elmorton
DH and I watched a re-run show the other day (I think?) and we were curious about taxes. If you house goes from an appraised value of $89k to $820k, how on earth are you going to be able to afford it? Or the electricity, etc? (This is the same question we had about HGTV Dream Home and then found out that most people sell the home because those costs are so extreme).

I wonder that too! I know some Extreme Homes received solar paneling and other such things to really reduce the utilities. However, the taxes... I have no idea. They''ve got to be astronomical. No idea how these people can afford to do that.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I believe this works like The Oprah Giveaway Shows... you have to agree that you will pay all the taxes for the gifts that you are given. They go into the process knowing full-well that they are going to have to make payments.

This is just like anyone elses property value going up. Say a few mansions are built down the street, your prop value rises an extra $30,000 and you end up getting to pay more taxes. It could happen to anyone.

ETA: This family now has nothing... did they not ever think that this was a possibility?? They don't even have an old beat up roof over their heads anymore. I would love to know the thought process, or if they even consulted a business professional when making this decision. Why on earth would you need $400K for a start-up... what ever happened to just getting a line of credit? What I also find sad about this situation, is that it seems as though the bank wasn't offering any advice as well.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
In that case then I also think its sad they took out a mortgage but I''m sure it wasn''t done with bad intentions. They probably felt this was what they needed to get their feet off the ground and unfortunately it didn''t work
7.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Fiery: I don't think they took out a mortgage. It was a business loan, and since they have no money or posessions other than their brand new house and its ammentities, that is what they had to use as collateral. When the bank failed, they lost the house.

Did this family have children?! That would make this story absolutely tragic.

ETA: I was wrong about the above. They did take a 2nd mortgage, and their first mortgage WAS paid off 100% and the family was given an extra $100K from Beazer Homes. It saus they invested money into the construction fund (not their own start-up from what I think), and it looks very fishy to me, that most of this $450K probably wasn't used for the investment at all.

Watch this video. The family is going to take the money they have left and run, because they are being "harassed", by who I'm not sure!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Absolutely sickening!! The mayor sure isn't very pleased...

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Nation/From-Extreme-Home-Makeover-to-foreclosure-/1217008587.html

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:35:24 AM
Author: meresal
Fiery: I don't think they took out a mortgage. It was a business loan, and since they have no money or posessions other than their brand new house and its ammentities, that is what they had to use as collateral. When the bank failed, they lost the house.

Did this family have children?! That would make this story absolutely tragic.

I think the article said had a couple, maybe 3 kide. EHM even provided scholarships for them to go to college. So at least the kids have that still. (I hope)

ETA: Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:23:26 AM
Author: Starset Princess
I agree...they get a $450,000 house for free (plus taxes or whatever but they knew that going in I''m sure) PLUS another $250,000 for their kids'' education and "home maintenance" and look what they did with it. Some people are determined to keep themselves in the red. I think the show should have some kind of contract with the families that says they can''t use their homes for financial gain (i.e. sell it in x amount of years, loan collateral, etc.). Extreme Makeover would''ve been better off building a soup kitchen/homeless shelter.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is sad and perhaps it is best to leave it at that. Perhaps the family did not have the knowledge base to determine whether this was a good financial decision. Without knowing more, I''d have to assume they were trying to make the best decision they could for their family at the time.

Where was the bank in all of this? The same place it was for the rest of the nearly 2 million American families that have faced or will face foreclosure this year.

This family must now take the brunt of the criticism because of the public nature of their home renovation and the fact that they received a gift.

Why did the bank approve the loan in the first place?

It is sad. Judge not . . .

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think the Home Make Over tv program is ridiculous. I cannot watch it, for several reasons, most of which the homes they produce are usually gaudy, oversized, monstrosities that do not fit the neighborhoods they are built in. Imagine how many more families they could help if they actually renovated the existing homes to make them comfortable for the families. That''s what they used to do when the show began. Now, all they do is tear down and build up as close to a mc mansion as they can fit on the existing lot. uggh.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:54:35 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
It is sad and perhaps it is best to leave it at that. Perhaps the family did not have the knowledge base to determine whether this was a good financial decision. Without knowing more, I''d have to assume they were trying to make the best decision they could for their family at the time.

Where was the bank in all of this? The same place it was for the rest of the nearly 2 million American families that have faced or will face foreclosure this year.

This family must now take the brunt of the criticism because of the public nature of their home renovation and the fact that they received a gift.

While I agree maybe it''s not our place to judge in this particular instance, I think maybe people should pay more close attention to what they are getting themselves into. I realize that there is predatory lending, but really, you can''t get yourself into something on accident. This is less about the EHM people, and more about your comment about "Why did the bank approve the loan?" I would also ask, "Why did these people agree to something they couldn''t afford?"

Not to say its only one persons fault, banks shouldnt approve loans for those who cant afford, just the same, people shouldn''t get in over their heads. Everyone has to look out for themselves, they can''t count on banks or anyone else to watch out for them.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:54:35 AM
It is sad and perhaps it is best to leave it at that. Perhaps the family did not have the knowledge base to determine whether this was a good financial decision. Without knowing more, I'd have to assume they were trying to make the best decision they could for their family at the time.

Technically... right now is one of the hardest times for people to get loans, I cannot say about 15 months ago though. The Banks are losing out on serious interest payments when people cannot make their payments anymore.

However, this family *did* have the funds for their loan. They chose to put up their house as collateral, which lots of people do. They just chose to invest *some* of it, which I use loosly, because obviously they have some left if they plan on "taking thier money and leaving".

You can shake your finger at the bank if you think that is right, but you can not condem them for not turning away a loan that was legitimate. I would not classify this case with the other 2 million citizens that you are talking about, whom I would venture to guess are paying off their first homes, and working mighty hard at it as well. This family had a $450K home that was completely paid for. They chose to take out another mortgage.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:51:40 AM
Author: IndyGirl22

I agree...they get a $450,000 house for free (plus taxes or whatever but they knew that going in I''m sure) PLUS another $250,000 for their kids'' education and ''home maintenance'' and look what they did with it. Some people are determined to keep themselves in the red. I think the show should have some kind of contract with the families that says they can''t use their homes for financial gain (i.e. sell it in x amount of years, loan collateral, etc.). Extreme Makeover would''ve been better off building a soup kitchen/homeless shelter.
Ditto

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I gotta say, I agree.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 11:01:15 AM
I also think the Home Make Over tv program is ridiculous. I cannot watch it, for several reasons, most of which the homes they produce are usually gaudy, oversized, monstrosities that do not fit the neighborhoods they are built in. Imagine how many more families they could help if they actually renovated the existing homes to make them comfortable for the families. That's what they used to do when the show began. Now, all they do is tear down and build up as close to a mc mansion as they can fit on the existing lot. uggh.

I agree completely, Loves Vintage. Those homes are horrible monstrosities, and they definitely fall into the McMansion category. I'd be embarrassed to live in a home like that.

As for passing judgment on the family, I won't. I've never had the misfortune of being financially unstable with three children to take care of, and I'm sure that if I was in that situation, and someone swooped in and gave me a big, gaudy gift, I'd do whatever I could to use that advantage to try and get my feet on some firm financial ground.

It's very easy to be all high-and-mighty when you have no idea what was really going on. I see families all over the suburbs of Chicago losing their homes because they purchased gaudy, over-sized McMansions that they certainly couldn't afford, and while it would be easy to shake my finger at them and think they're unintelligent for trying to purchase homes that were obviously outside of their price range, I don't. I just feel bad for them because whatever their taste in homes, they are still families in crisis facing a very, very scary situation.

And then I thank my stars for being in a comfortable financial situation myself.

Talk about beating somebody when they're down. Have a little compassion and grace.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 10:24:33 AM
Author: elledizzy5

I wonder that too! I know some Extreme Homes received solar paneling and other such things to really reduce the utilities. However, the taxes... I have no idea. They''ve got to be astronomical. No idea how these people can afford to do that.

I had the same question, too. Taxes are ENORMOUS in our area on a home like that, tens of thousands of dollars. I wonder if the show makes a tax estimate before they build the home and presents it to the family to see if they believe they can handle it. Although I doubt it.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I also think the Home Make Over tv program is ridiculous. I cannot watch it, for several reasons, most of which the homes they produce are usually gaudy, oversized, monstrosities that do not fit the neighborhoods they are built in. Imagine how many more families they could help if they actually renovated the existing homes to make them comfortable for the families. That's what they used to do when the show began. Now, all they do is tear down and build up as close to a mc mansion as they can fit on the existing lot. uggh.
I think you can judge the actions of others as irresponsible without judging them as people. It's your choice not to watch the show & I don't watch it either, but the show is popular because they build the extravagant houses. Even though I support the cause, I doubt many people would watch a show about building Habitat for Humanity houses (although some of those are very nice as well). if the family didn't want a large home they easily could've declined to accept it; no one forced them onto the show. Many of the families shown on the show have overcome huge obstacles (the one show I did watch involved a police officer who was disabled so they designed a rigging system throughout her house so she could get around and care of her baby), so the big, nice house is supposed to be a sort of gift from the neighborhood/donors. The main thing that struck me about this news is the lack of personal responsibility shown by the parents. They have three children to consider when making their financial decisions, after all. $450,000 loans are not exactly handed out by the banks like free candy, so I'm sure the bank completed a thorough evaluation of the parents before they approved it. Placing the blame on banks when a person's house is foreclosed is completely ridiculous IMO. That's like blaming credit card companies for people's CC debt. I don't have a problem with them trying to make their financial decision better, but taking out a loan that might cause you to lose your entire house (that you got for free - therefore essentially making a profit from the charity of others) is irresponsible IMO. Maybe I'm just lacking compassion or grace, but I don't really feel sorry for people who are given extraordinary gifts ($700,000 altogether) and squander them. Whatever their taxes were, I'm sure it could've come out of the $250,000. I feel sorry for the kids...I assume their scholarships are long gone.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 11:17:54 AM

Technically... right now is one of the hardest times for people to get loans, I cannot say about 15 months ago though. The Banks are losing out on serious interest payments when people cannot make their payments anymore.

However, this family *did* have the funds for their loan. They chose to put up their house as collateral, which lots of people do. They just chose to invest *some* of it, which I use loosly, because obviously they have some left if they plan on ''taking thier money and leaving''.

You can shake your finger at the bank if you think that is right, but you can not condem them for not turning away a loan that was legitimate. I would not classify this case with the other 2 million citizens that you are talking about, whom I would venture to guess are paying off their first homes, and working mighty hard at it as well. This family had a $450K home that was completely paid for. They chose to take out another mortgage.
To an extent, I do agree. Sure, many lenders in the past made huge errors in judgement by allowing people to take out loans they were not likely to be able to afford. In this case, the couple did put their house up as collateral for their loan, which would square them away with the bank if they were unable to pay back the loan. Unfortunately, things did not work out for them, so the bank has the house. No one forced the couple (I hope) to take the loan out, it was their choice. I can only hope the bank really did explain the harsh reality of what would happen if they were unable to pay back their loan.

My point is, I do not want banks to start basing their decisions to grant a loan on whether they think it is in the individual''s best interest to take the loan, if the person has had a history of financical responsibility and has collateral to put up for it. If the bank wants to offer guidance and their opinion, that is one thing, but I think if banks turned down loans in this way, they could be unintentionally stunting growth of small businesses in this country, which is something we do not want to have happen.

The situation with the EHM family is very unfortunate & my heart goes out to the kids. I hope the college fund they were given was locked away in some sort of trust fund for them.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I just searched google and could only find 2 houses in the history of this "weekly" show that have dealt with foreclosure issues. The first being the one we are discussing, and the second being a house given to Janessa “Boey” Byers, who passed away and the house was said to be given back to the bank that paid the initial mortgage.

If there was a real problem with what this show is doing, I would think there would be alot more than 1 legitimate semi-foreclosure under it''s belt. It seems to me that all parties involved are doing the best they can to aide the families during and after the renovations. Even the bank has been trying to help this family, but what are you supposed to do when the family states on television that they want to take the money they have left and leave with it? That money is the banks money.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2008 12:14:19 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

I think you can judge the actions of others as irresponsible without judging them as people. It's your choice not to watch the show & I don't watch it either, but the show is popular because they build the extravagant houses. Even though I support the cause, I doubt many people would watch a show about building Habitat for Humanity houses (although some of those are very nice as well). if the family didn't want a large home they easily could've declined to accept it; no one forced them onto the show. Many of the families shown on the show have overcome huge obstacles (the one show I did watch involved a police officer who was disabled so they designed a rigging system throughout her house so she could get around and care of her baby), so the big, nice house is supposed to be a sort of gift from the neighborhood/donors. The main thing that struck me about this news is the lack of personal responsibility shown by the parents. They have three children to consider when making their financial decisions, after all. $450,000 loans are not exactly handed out by the banks like free candy, so I'm sure the bank completed a thorough evaluation of the parents before they approved it. Placing the blame on banks when a person's house is foreclosed is completely ridiculous IMO. That's like blaming credit card companies for people's CC debt. I don't have a problem with them trying to make their financial decision better, but taking out a loan that might cause you to lose your entire house (that you got for free - therefore essentially making a profit from the charity of others) is irresponsible IMO. Maybe I'm just lacking compassion or grace, but I don't really feel sorry for people who are given extraordinary gifts ($700,000 altogether) and squander them. Whatever their taxes were, I'm sure it could've come out of the $250,000. I feel sorry for the kids...I assume their scholarships are long gone.

In this case, the bank apparently did a poor job in determining whether the borrowers could repay the loan. Yes, the bank needs to ensure they have adequate collateral to support a loan, but they also need to evaluate whether the people have sufficient income to pay the loan back. Some banks have even gone beyond merely failing to investigage borrowers' ability to pay back loans and have fraudulently changed bank applications to make it look like the borrowers could afford to pay back the loans. See, e.g., IndyMac Bank.

I'm not saying the borrowers are entirely blameless here. Of course they are to blame, in part, but expecting that people are always going to make the best financial decisions is expecting too much, obviously. Not everyone is as educated as you would like them to be.

There are lots of families like this one, but unfortunately, this one is taking the brunt of the criticism because of their involvement in this tv program.

And, I don't know why you would assume the scholarships are gone. Did you read that somewhere?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2008 12:20:18 PM
I just searched google and could only find 2 houses in the history of this ''weekly'' show that have dealt with foreclosure issues. The first being the one we are discussing, and the second being a house given to Janessa “Boey” Byers, who passed away and the house was said to be given back to the bank that paid the initial mortgage.

If there was a real problem with what this show is doing, I would think there would be alot more than 1 legitimate semi-foreclosure under it''s belt. It seems to me that all parties involved are doing the best they can to aide the families during and after the renovations. Even the bank has been trying to help this family, but what are you supposed to do when the family states on television that they want to take the money they have left and leave with it? That money is the banks money.
The money was the bank''s money. They lent it to these homeowners. If they foreclose on the house, and the value of the house exceeds the amount of the loan, the borrowers have every right to keep the money.

The bank does not get the house, plus 450k.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
http://money.aol.com/cnnmoney/realestate/canvas3/_a/the-house-that-swallowed-don-and-shelly/20060627161909990001

This is a link to the HGTV Dream Home that the winners eventually could not afford. They auctioned it off. H and I honestly thought about bidding on it, but were not ready to move just yet. It was a beautiful home on a small lake outside of Tyler, Texas. I knew some of the contractors that worked on it and the quality in that home is awesome. The taxes on some of these homes are outrageous. Here in Texas we have very high property taxes. (no state income tax) Maybe if these HGTV Dream Homes and those homes on Home Makeover were not so high in value, the property taxes would be more affordable. But also when you win all this stuff, (some get cars too) it''s counted as income and ya gotta pay up on April 15th!!

I feel for the owners of the foreclosed on house, but they had to know what they were doing when they put their home up as collateral. I also feel sad for all those who worked so hard to make the "makeover come true" for the owners.
So sad to see all this.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I don't want to turn this into some sort of debate, but I do enjoy reading everyone's viewpoints on the matter.

I didn't read anything about their scholarships, but unless they were set up in some sort of trust I just *assumed* (and that's why I specifically stated it was an assumption) that they would dip into that fund before losing their house. I know I would, but again, I said I was assuming that information. If I had read it somewhere it wouldn't be an assumption but a fact depending on the source...

I still don't see how the bank is to blame in this case. The loan was for $450,000...the house was worth $450,000 and paid off completely...they can't repay it so the bank gets the house. Seems logical to me, at least from an objective financial standpoint. Maybe I'm not understanding how loans work?
33.gif
I'm sure banks take much bigger risks than that all the time and I think the bank would've much rather have been collecting interest from the loan than to get the house which will probably sell for way below value. IMHO, the money is the BANK's unless they sell the home for more than the amount of the loan. Otherwise, the family will be making a profit off of a home they got for free. $450,000 loan from bank > family loses home but still has $$$ from loan and doesn't have to pay interest on the loan $$$ anymore > bank sells home at auction for less than $450,000 = family makes profit from loan/home. I can see where the bank would've made an unwise decision to loan them the money if they lived in a $100,000 home and took out that loan, but like I said, I don't think the bank purposefully tried to give them this loan to somehow put them in over their heads.

Personally, I don't have a problem with "McMansions" if the owners can afford it...I'm sure there are some PSers with "gaudy, oversized, monstrocities" who are very content with all that space.

I don't really remember reading about many families who were given $450,000 homes + $250,000 extra. I don't think anyone is criticizing the fact that the bank was forced to foreclose on their home, especially in recent years with so many foreclosures occurring, but they were given a gift that so many people in our country (and the world) would've done anything to be given and they squandered it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
This family went from being very well respected in the community, enough to have them all build a house for a week straight, night and day... and now even the mayor sounds like he would rather them move as well. Obviously more has happened than what we know, and I would venture to say that the foreclosure with the bank is just the final straw in this situation...

Banks don''t make money on houses that they take over and then sell; They make money on interest payments and fees. There''s no way a legitimate bank would be handing out $450K without extensive backround checks, and I would venture to say that they probably weren''t aware that a significant amount of this money was going to be invested , and in a contruction company none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results