shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts: what do you think of this natural blue topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
I just saw this natural blue topaz- what''s your opinion about it? Thanks in advance for your help!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Lovely cut. A little grey for me but that''s a personal opinion, and I''m not an expert!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Very steely and gray, but lovely in it''s own right
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very light toned and light saturation, much like a run of the mill aquamarine. Not a colour I like though. Still, it has good cutting and is not treated.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a similar stone from GemLine, won in one of their auctions. The colour is, indeed, very pale and certainly not a shade that would be prized. However, the cutting is gorgeous and people always comment on it. I am very fond of it, but, then again, I paid significantly less for mine.

gnopals

Rough_Rock
Natural Topaz is love of mine and that stone in your link is quite big and pretty rare. I was very lucky a few years ago to have acquired a few faceted naturals and also some rough which I''m hoping to cut at some point when I get round to learning to facet. It is sad how the irradiated/coated stuff has undermined the charm of the Topaz over the years
38.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a lovely stone simply because it''s something unusual and rare. Sure, the color is not an amazingly pure and striking blue, but that''s not something you''d expect out of a natural topaz anyway. If I''d get it, I''d set it in a plain white metal setting with a brushed finish, to play with the grey tone instead of fighting it. But that''s just me
9.gif

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bargain. Snatch it!

If it is a natural color I would not sell it for that price. I have seen only few naturally blue topaz in Sri lanka. They are very beautyful. I hope they have found a new source in Nigeria. It would be very welcome.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies! I actually sent an e-mail to them yesterday with a few questions (I have not yet received an reply). I like for some reason light coloured gems and this one looks beautiful but it is huge!

Some questions:
* is a radiated blue topaz more expensive than a natural? If yes, what would be the logic selling this untreated (I for sure prefer them untreated)?
* Is topaz a durable gem and could it be suitable for to wear everytday?
* Is it possible to find pale blue sapphires in the same colour as this topaz or are pale blue tanzanites better if I want the same colour?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert, but I think I can give you some answers:

1) irradiated topaz is generally less expensive, but treatment is usually done to material that wouldn''t yield nice i.e. sellable stones; treatment deepens the color and makes the gem easier to sell, as most people prefer the deeper and cleaner shade of blue (so treatment possibly lowers the prices, but in reality creates a much larger market for the material);
2) topaz is durable enough for everyday wear, but I wouldn''t wear it daily in jewellery like rings that''s more likely to get damaged;
3) I guess sapphires of this color exist, but they might be tricky to find, much more expensive and most probably much smaller in size - tanzanite on the other hand, could be found if it''s untreated, but it''d also be quite costly and probably not too large.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. I’ve seen untreated blue topaz sell for very little as well. The price difference isn’t a whole lot.
2. Topaz can be an everyday wear ring. That said, don’t do hard work with them on which means, no housework, yardwork or similar.
3. There are blue sapphires and tanzanites with that colour but they are usually candidates for heavier treatment to improve their looks so the vendor can ask for higher prices. In any case, I do not recommend tanzanite as a ring stone due to its softness and sensitivity to temperature changes.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I have decided not to buy this topaz even though I loved the colour and the cut (and the price!) as it would be too big for the design I was thinking of but I will keep my eyes open for other non-treated blue topaz (and Gemline seems to have great customer service)! I will buy whatever I find first, a seafoam tourmaline, a babypink gem (tourmaline?!) or a pale blue topaz!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kashmira,

Good thing I bumped to this thread. I myself is also on a hunt for a nice natural untreated blue topaz. In fact, I''ve contacted a usa vendor & he''ll be cutting one (Brazilian material) by next week (hopefully it''ll result to a nice piece so I won''t have to reject it).

So anyway, perhaps you can inquire to this site for a nice Australian Natural Blue Topaz: http://www.mtsurprisegems.com.au/
I''ve emailed them and here''s their reply: "We can definately cut you one if you wish to place an order with us. It would cut to about 5 ct which would cost approx AUD$140. plus whatever the rough cost is. Rough would be approx AUD$60-$80 plus postage. So for just over AUD$200 you would have a beautiful natural blue topaz from Mt. Surprise cut in a standard brilliant cut." <<---sadly, the price is out of my budget range so I''m gonna have to pass but will definitely get an Aussie material in the future.

...BTW, I''ve read that their natural blue topazes are hand dug. So there. I hope these info somehow help. Best wishes to both of us in finding our nice natural blue topaz!
35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy it for the color, but for the cutting (which is very nice) and the sparkle. Some people like large icy topaz for creative design in jewelry such as this ring.

snowflaketopazring.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Natural blue topaz is available though most looks like the one posted. In this sky blue might be better termed "stormy sky blue". One''s like the second posted link are occasionally found in Brazil.

Best,

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 1:07:26 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I would not buy it for the color, but for the cutting (which is very nice) and the sparkle. Some people like large icy topaz for creative design in jewelry such as this ring.
i so very much love that setting!

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results