shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts Opinion please!!

bjenkins

Rough_Rock
I am looking at purchasing a 1 - 1.5 ct round diamond. I found the following on ebay. Has anyone heard of Brilliant Rocks? They have all excellent reviews, but I've heard bad things about IGL graded diamonds. I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck. I will take a lower quality diamond as long as inclusions and flaws cannot be seen to the naked or untrained eye. Thinking about purchasing just to see what it looks like, but they seem so cheap. Please see the link and let me know what you think...
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-1...7160811?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item5af167af6b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of IGL, I assume that they are hoping that you will confuse IGL with IGI. The stones are enhanced,and thus why they are inexpensive. I wouldn't consider an enhanced stone under any circumstances.

bjenkins

Rough_Rock
Did you see the link? IGL is International Gemological Laboratory. Should I run? What does enhanced mean and why shouldn't I buy one>?

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'd do some more research and try to get a diamond that's a little higher in clarity (say SI2 at the least?). In many cases an I1 or I2 will have inclusions that are obvious to the naked eye, so you should either try to get more detailed pictures/videos or have them send it to you to have it checked out (assuming they have a generous return policy).

From the info on the stones that you're asking about, they've been clarity "enhanced", meaning that the stones have had modifications done to them (ie, fillers, etc) that can raise their clarity rating. As I understand it, the practice of clarity enhancement is not taboo, as long as the seller clearly explains what they've done, why, where, and confirms that there are no issues wrt the stones' structure. Some consumers are fine with it, and others are not, so it's a detail that needs to be fully disclosed (just as this Ebay seller has done).

I believe that the clarity grade (in this case, I1 and I2) is given after the enhancements have been applied, but I'm not an expert so that'd be a question I'd have to ask. If so, then I think I'd want to know what the clarity was before the enhancements, you know what I mean? For more information on this, you can search this website and find threads and conversations regarding enhancements, etc.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones have been clarity enhanced to I1s and I2s this means they started life right at the bottom of the barrel full of inclusions and have been fracture filled and or laser treated.... They will probably have that frozen spit type appearance and if they don't start life looking dull and lifeless bad enhancements tend to become dull and lifeless over time.

Personally for that sort of money you could buy a small very nicely cut GIA stone or even a well cut EGL USA stone.
Why don't you try James Allen, Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Blue Nile, Engagement Rings Direct. Even a preloved stone from Jewels By Erica Grace would probably work out better value and indeed be a much nicer stone than these. You need to think quality over size, go down in size, up in clarity and stay away from anything that has been clarity enhanced unless it's got guarantees and is a large reputable vendor that has done the clarity enhancement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results