shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinion - Peace of Mind for Fiancee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
Last winter was the perfect time for me to present a diamond engagement ring to my fiancee. I found Pricescope and visited here pretty much daily for about a month before actually going to the mall with my fiancee to looks at diamonds. I wanted to get a good feel for what she liked. The nearest mall we like to shop has 6 jewelry stores. We casually window shopped 4 of the stores and actually examined diamonds with a salesperson at 2 stores. My fiancee was really "wowed" by a particular branded RB H&A at the last store we visited. The salesman was a young guy in his 20''s and was very nice and polite with us. He was a really sharp salesman. He and another salesman(supposedly his boss) worked on us pretty hard. While we were there, my fiancee ran into a high school classmate and good firend that worked at this store. They had not seen each other in years.

The branded H&A''s were gorgeous, but overpriced, in my opinion. Besides, I had absolutely NO intentions of actually buying an engagement ring with my fiancee present. To me personally, it had to be a total surprise. So, I shopped online, identified a couple diamonds I thought were awesome and travelled to see them one day(ps vendor). I loved the one I had identified onlne and made the purchase. My fiance says it''s the most beautiful diamond she has ever seen n her life. She stares at it constantly and smiles. I like looking at it too..it''s wicked. Everybody is happy.

Well, a couple days ago, my fiancee was shopping at the same mall and decided to see if her friend from high school was working at the jewelry store. The young salesman we met before was working and happened to notice my fiancee showing her ring to her friend. I certainly can''t blame him for being disappointed that I didnt buy from him. However, he ask to see the ring. She took it off her finger and handed it to him. He louped it, then put it under the microscope. The once nice salesman ask her if she was sure it was real. He said he couldn''t find any inclusions..that it seemed too clean. Then the other salesman we met before walks over...looks at it and tells her the diamond does not have any inscription on the girdle. Puts some pen with a light on it against the diamond...tells her it reads as a diamond but could possibly be ''moissanite'' or something like that. Obvioulsy, she''s upset..who wouldn''t be. I never expained to her that her diamond has the branded symbol and serial number inscribed or ionized on a table facet, not the girdle. Never had any reason to. Weird I know, but true. I have alll the diamond''s documents and showed them to her. However, I can''t help but think there might be this slight nagging thread of doubt in the back of her mind. Hey, two salesmen in a jewelry store dissed her diamond. They are in the diamond business and I am not. So, I am asking for your expert opinion on her diamond (good, bad or ugly). I''m fine with bluntness.

Origin Southern Africa
Mfg OD Antwerp
Shape Round Hearts and Arrows
AGS Ideal 0''s
Symmetry GIA Exc
Polish GIA Exc
Carat .85
Color F
Clarity VVS2
Flour VS Blue (wanted this)
Depth% 61.53
Table% 55.21
Crown Angle 34.43
Crown % 15.30
Pav Ang 40.83
Pav % 43.01
Girdle % 1.58
cutlet % .4

Other stuff
HCA 1.2 TIC Range exc, exc, exc, vg ( did this myself)
BS Gemex VH, VH, VH (came with diamond)
Isee2 9.5 (came with diamond)

I''m a total diamond novice, but I''m hoping this diamiond will go head to head with the diamonds those salesguys are carrying in their mall store.

I''ve been reading posts in here long enough that I respect everyone''s opinion, but no, I don''t want to compromise on color or clarity and trade it in for a larger diamond. To quote someone in here, "this one speaks to me" or perhaps I am hearing voices in my head...lol.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
dont'' you hate it when strangers make you second guess yourself?
i have no doubt that since you purchased your diamond from a PS Vendor(read: reputable vendor) that you have a real diamond.

I also have no doubt at all that the mall store people are just trying to win a sale at whatever cost - which besides being completely underhanded, is just WRONG.

I can''t evaluate the info you gave, I''m sure others will - but I can tell you that if it''s the ONE that speaks to you - you found a one in a million gem.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin, I bet these guys have never encountered a diamond of that cut and quality before and the VVS inclusions might take some searching for anyway depending on the equipment they use - but that was darn well unecessary to cast doubts in her mind like that all to try to get a sale, or being bitter because they lost one
29.gif
29.gif
That looks like a primo diamond you picked that would blow any of that " salesman''s" diamonds out of the water! I am so sorry this happened to your GF, but I can tell you made a great choice and try not to let those " gentlemen" rain on your parade. Unfortunately in life, there are always those who can imply you could have got a much better deal with them after the fact whatever you buy, be it a car, a TV - whatever. These guys aren''t in the business of complimenting a competitor''s diamond gracefully obviously so try not to let it worry you and see it for what it is - they lost a sale and aren''t happy about it.

Rambly post, but I hope it helps a little.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
hey kevin.....i''ll be real blunt...in your favor tho''.....i''m glad i clicked on your ''post''....first off, i think those guys in the MAUL...(mall) are completely way outta line by even suggesting that your girl give ''em her diamond so they can.....microscope it? what friggin'' jerks!!! look buddy, if you''re really concerned about the ....authenticity of the diamond YOU chose for your girl, get to an appraiser. and listen.....an appraiser who does not sell diamonds. i''m sure everyone here''ll agree with me on that, heck, i got that advice from folks here. nuthin'' against salesfolks...they gotta provide for their families...and, i''m sure there''s a few honest one''s out there....(actually, the folks i''m purchasing from are truly awesome, they''ve gone way outta their way for me...) .....but, almost every one i''ve come in contact with, be it diamonds or cars....are snakes.....i don''t know how they justify screwin'' folks like they do. anyhow, i don''t wanna bash anyone here. but, kevin, for some reason, i feel your pain brother...post much more specific info on your diamond, i.e...laser inscriptions...etc. where''d you buy it? ......and, i''m sure many folks are gonna chime in on your dilemma....remember, AN INDEPENDANT APPRAISER...no ''docker pant'' wearin'' sales kids lookin'' thru a microscope....

i''m on your side buddy........

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
lorelei.....i didn''t see your reply until after i posted mine....gosh, i''m glad i''m not the only one fired up about kevin''s bad experience .....

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
lorelei, you ain't ramblin'....when i read kevin's letter (post), i was instantly 'DROVE'....(upset)....i had to cut my reply short cuz some of you folks now how long-winded i can get...lol.....i could really go on and on about this subject....

kevin.....real quick here brother...lemme tell you (i do have to make it quick, i gotta go 'pay' for my diamond in a minute....lol), the VVS range, in my lame opinion, from my recent experience with THREE diamonds (two vvs2's and one vvs1)....i spent a lot of time with them, at my home, no pressure........lookin' thru a loupe MY VENDOR supplied with my diamonds...i couldn't find anything....at first, i'd see a spec and think it was an inclusion, nope....dust....i'm tellin' ya bro'....they're gonna need a damn microscope at high power, in my lame opinion, to be smart enuf to find anything in that VVS. hey, thought for the day...KEVIN'S VVS ROCKS!

i can't wait to read what the ps appraisers and gemologists say about this topic........

okay, i'm outta here, i got a diamond to buy....see ya'll when i get back.....

hang in there kevin.....'it's all good', brother.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well I can''t help but think those poor guys at the jewelry store have probably never seen a well cut diamond and they were out of line in their remarks to her, totally unprofessional and if it wasn''t a waste of time worth a call to the store/district manager about their extremely poor customer service/front desk help.

I''m sure your diamond in fabulous but if you and her are now having doubts, a trip to an indepentant appraiser would be a great idea. Actually, I like to take my online purchases to have them appraised independantly anyway, just incase there is an accidently mistake by the vendor or something. So, it wouldn''t hurt ot have one done and you can add the info into your insurance policy too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a shame that these guys felt they had to cast doubt in the GF''s mind about her diamond, they must know how upsetting it can be - they sell e-rings so they must understand the importance and emotion tied up in them, even if they weren''t the ones to get the sale, they could have said something positive, not scrutinized it like they doubted it''s authenticity all along to make their point about not getting the sale
14.gif
Mrssalvo and TH make a good point about having the independant appraisal done - I am sure your diamond IS a diamond and is superb, it just might be worth it to lay any doubts to rest. You did good Kevin! BTW TH, good luck with the purchase!

Also I am sure your diamond is a knockout, are there pictures anywhere we can see?
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin
from those "specs" your diamond should be beautiful.
30.gif
were you looking at HOF at the mall store? did you buy your stone from GOG?

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh, the diamond has been appraised and is fully certified and insured. It is inscribed...just in a strange place. It really ticks me off that two salesmen in a well known jewelry store would put any doubt in my fiancee''s mind. She loves the diamond and they intentionally hurt her feelings. They did this right in front of her old friend. It is kinda like telling a new mother her newborn is ugly or asking the proud dad if it''s his kid...lol.

I just figured I post the diamond''s numbers and see if any of the respected experts have any comments.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire,

Yes and yes. The HOF diamonds are beautifully cut diamonds. GOG is wonderful...in all aspects. Nothing but the highest praises for the quality of their selection and all who work there.

This just came to mind... perhaps he ask for her diamond so he could put it up against one of his better stones in the store to show my fiancee we should have purchased her diamond from him??? When he realized he would not get the desired outcome, he just dissed it. Why intentionally hurt a beautiful young lady's feelings in public?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin, you should be ticked off. The diamond on you fiance's hand sounds absolutely beautiful and those "Maul" guys should be ashamed of themselves. I can't add anything of value to the topic as Lorelei and others put everything in perfect perspective. I hope your fiance recognizes that jealousy is an ugly trait and is usually hurtful. I hope you fiance recognizes that all they were trying to do was make her doubt her stone, so she'd come back and buy from them. Hurtful and selfish are two appropriate words that often occur as a result of jealousy.

Best wishes to you both........

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should see if they have a diamond tester there (I'm guessing they do). You know it is a diamond so go in there, get it tested by one of the jerks, and then plaster a big grin on your face when your diamond tests positive.

I'm guessing they know it's a diamond themselves or they would have tested it themselves for your fiance.

I'm surprised your fiance gave her ring to them. Jewelery store folks always ask to see my ring better or to clean it. Not a chance in hell.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
This is absolutely absurd.
29.gif
That diamond has killer specs. Everything about it screams I am one of the finest you will ever see anywhere anytime. I''m not so much upset that they did it at all (snakes will always do what''s in their nature), but that they did it in front of her high school friend. That burns my buns bigtime!!!!!
29.gif
What lowlife creeps. Besides moissanite is double refractive, and some has a slight greenish tint. If they can''t distinguish between the two with a microscope, they are in the wrong business. I might just have to tell them that as well. You know, go in and ask if they can tell the dif. and how, and then lower the boom on them for what they did. Arrrggh!!! This makes me so mad.

shay

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My opinion is that they knew that your diamond is in fact a diamond. I think they just wanted to make your fiance feel bad.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Just to make you feel better, I went to a master gemologist appraiser here in the Bay Area, and WITH the gia plot, it took her, at 50x, an extruciating 15 minutes to find only one of the two pinpoints. So they are just dopes, and haven''t looked at a stone without larger inclusions before...

Never fear! You did good!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
2 points:

First, it sounds like they did use a diamond tester ("Puts some pen with a light on it against the diamond...tells her it reads as a diamond but could possibly be 'moissanite' or something like that.") To leave any doubt in her mind about it being a real diamond after that (Moissanite is very different visually) is vindictively cruel.

Second, any knowledgeable jeweler should know how difficult, if not totally impossible, it is to identify VVS inclusions in a set stone with just a loupe. Absolutely outrageous! I would file a complaint both with the store (HQ if possible, rather than the local outlet) and with the mall management and demand a written apology and retraction/explanation to your fiancee.

Most importantly, if the ring was ever out of her sight, have it examined right away to confirm you got your inscribed diamond back.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
gemcollector........RIGHT ON!! hey, no wonder i couldn''t find any inclusions with my loupe on my VVS asscher........

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 3:06:32 PM
Author: kevinyonker
Dancing Fire,

Yes and yes. The HOF diamonds are beautifully cut diamonds. GOG is wonderful...in all aspects. Nothing but the highest praises for the quality of their selection and all who work there.

This just came to mind... perhaps he ask for her diamond so he could put it up against one of his better stones in the store to show my fiancee we should have purchased her diamond from him??? When he realized he would not get the desired outcome, he just dissed it. Why intentionally hurt a beautiful young lady's feelings in public?
Kevin
hell with those sales people
38.gif
sometime i just go into the mall store for a good laugh.
i too have bought from GOG
36.gif
you did a great job picking a beautiful stone.you also found out that we don't need to pay a 30% HOF premiun for a beautiful cut stone.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results